#29: Motoring to Mogilev

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Episode 29, and we play the first of a few scenarios from Onslaught To Orsha. Don't let the sound quality put you off Tom's great commentary or Toby's attacking tips!

There's a patron giveaway too, and our top 5 attributes of good opponents!

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It's the combination of your soft-spoken, polite demeanor, coupled with that deadly tactical know-how!

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Toby should use Wiki :):rolleyes:

The greatest joy for a man is to defeat his enemies, to drive them before him, to take from them all they possess, to see those they love in tears, to ride their horses, and to hold their wives and daughters in his arms.
  • As quoted in Genghis Khan & the Mongols (1973) by Michael Gibson, p. 3; this has been disputed with the statement that it was "not recorded until a century after his death and is surprisingly out of character."
Thanks for another fun episode.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The greatest joy for a man is to defeat his enemies, to drive them before him, to take from them all they possess, to see those they love in tears, to ride their horses, and to hold their wives and daughters in his arms.
To ride their horses? BARBARIANS!

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tanks sounds!? Sounded like a cameo by Beavis and Butthead:)

Seriously, great stuff here.
I remember going to Paul Works' apartment back in the late '90s and playing this scenario.
Had a blast, cant remember what side I was, but it came right down the the wire.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Martin's Current Events (back to school) makes me wonder: what does Martin teach?

Physical Education? No, seriously.
Math/Science? Ehhhh, not feelin' it. He's too polite.
History? Mebbe...
Art? Nah, his head is entirely devoid of piercings, as far as we can tell

For my money, I'm going with English.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Who is who here....

Who is left and who is right? As a Tuomo you can never be left behind and you'd always be right. Or are some Tuomos more equal than others?
It was meant to convey that All Tuomos Are Winners. It is, after all, the Tuomometer.

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I believe it is English. He once critiqued my sentence structure in an aar.

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Note that the MISSION was not changed.
Rather, just put into the standard BFP verbiage.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Figured I might as well post what I think is the kind of up-front German setup that I criticized Dave for not doing.

The guy in B4 is there to stifle a left-side rush; he repositions on turn 2 back to board 23 or advances forward to D5, where he covers the road out to H3.

F3 can lay leader-led firelanes out to J5 or A6 and is gonna stand and die.

The AA Gun in G3 seemed to work fine, although other good positions are probably available. (Not showing the crew for clarity). It's a small Gun, so it can go in a building if need be. I'm not hoping for kills against tanks, mainly against trucks (TK of 7 seems nice, once you hit, and you do have ROF 3 and could gain acquisition). At close range, the TK against AFVs would go up high enough to try for immobilization against even the SU-85s, which would mission-kill them.

The 9-1/467/MMG group is there to do what damage they can on turn 1, then retreat back to board 23 on turn 2. I think the F2-G2 hexside is open for bypass, so I think this is a pretty safe move.

The 467 in H1 is there to advance up to the front line on turn 1, replacing the 9-1's stack as they bug out.

One of the squads in 23O10 is planning on running back across the bridge on turn 1 in order to provide the far-side-of-the-river defense that I think is important to have. I can see myself having trouble releasing him, though, as it would probably feel like an all-hands-on-deck situation on board 42. But dammit, it's so much harder to cross a bridge when there's somebody on the other side!

N3 is there to assault move into N4 and advance into N5 on turn 1, basically trying to discomfit the Russians into feeling pinched.

23K10 and L10 are there to balance out the look.

As we all said in the video, the Russian tanks are kinda No Fun here. Lacking a turret, they can't knock off a Rider unless they enter Orchard, Woods, or a Building. Two of them don't actually have to have Riders, as the Trucks can handle the overflow if need be, but still. I'm feeling Martin's pain on just how to attack in this situation, especially against an up-front defense like this.

My guess is, you unload the Trucks ASAP. Keep them around in case you find a late-game opportunity to load one up and race around to the far bridge on board 23, particularly if you can do it with the stragglers who broke in the first half of the game.

Set up the SU-85s for firing Smoke on turn 2, which will drift to the upper left of the picture in the Mild Breeze.

Meanwhile, the unloaded infantry get aggressive, using the SU-76s for armored assault and if need be, some VBM Freeze. You'd basically be sacrificing them and hoping to get the SU-85s across the river. The line of open ground in front of the German defense is scary but it's actually pretty thin, and if you can get behind some Hindrance cover (or bring it along with you as you Armored Assault), then you should be able to achieve local superiority in numbers. The German force is brittle and if you can keep them from falling back in good order, you'll eventually achieve a breakthrough. At that point, you're hoping for a relatively clear path to the far side of the river by the end of the game.

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Oh its sooo embarrassing to have Englishmen as friends - what they do and admit to publicly!!! o_O

Taking a bath! :eek:- really and to have cups of tea while doing it OH My!! ? which his wife comes in a serves to him!!!!

I just squirmed at the thoughts ?- "bathtub full of counter for Mark P" was the last time I had such thoughts :oops:

Cheers

Rob ?

skarper

Reaction score
Country
ll
I commented on the video that the SU76 don't have turrets and can't force riders to bail out - I had forgotten that the orchards do that. Sorry.

I think they key missed by Martin is infantry smoke. The Russians have assault Engineers so can usefully try for that.

I would get everybody off the tanks and trucks on turn 1 and spread out a bit in advance phase - then use armoured assault to get in among the defenders and even push the SU-76s into the rear.

To win I think the Russians must pick one side and keep going that way. I'd go right flank with almost everything and just leave a few units to prevent the Germans moving across too quickly.

A lot will depend on how lucky the SU85s are with their smoke attempts.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Figured I might as well post what I think is the kind of up-front German setup that I criticized Dave for not doing.

View attachment 14732

The guy in B4 is there to stifle a left-side rush; he repositions on turn 2 back to board 23 or advances forward to D5, where he covers the road out to H3.

F3 can lay leader-led firelanes out to J5 or A6 and is gonna stand and die.

The AA Gun in G3 seemed to work fine, although other good positions are probably available. (Not showing the crew for clarity). It's a small Gun, so it can go in a building if need be. I'm not hoping for kills against tanks, mainly against trucks (TK of 7 seems nice, once you hit, and you do have ROF 3 and could gain acquisition). At close range, the TK against AFVs would go up high enough to try for immobilization against even the SU-85s, which would mission-kill them.

The 9-1/467/MMG group is there to do what damage they can on turn 1, then retreat back to board 23 on turn 2. I think the F2-G2 hexside is open for bypass, so I think this is a pretty safe move.

The 467 in H1 is there to advance up to the front line on turn 1, replacing the 9-1's stack as they bug out.

One of the squads in 23O10 is planning on running back across the bridge on turn 1 in order to provide the far-side-of-the-river defense that I think is important to have. I can see myself having trouble releasing him, though, as it would probably feel like an all-hands-on-deck situation on board 42. But dammit, it's so much harder to cross a bridge when there's somebody on the other side!

N3 is there to assault move into N4 and advance into N5 on turn 1, basically trying to discomfit the Russians into feeling pinched.

23K10 and L10 are there to balance out the look.

As we all said in the video, the Russian tanks are kinda No Fun here. Lacking a turret, they can't knock off a Rider unless they enter Orchard, Woods, or a Building. Two of them don't actually have to have Riders, as the Trucks can handle the overflow if need be, but still. I'm feeling Martin's pain on just how to attack in this situation, especially against an up-front defense like this.

My guess is, you unload the Trucks ASAP. Keep them around in case you find a late-game opportunity to load one up and race around to the far bridge on board 23, particularly if you can do it with the stragglers who broke in the first half of the game.

Set up the SU-85s for firing Smoke on turn 2, which will drift to the upper left of the picture in the Mild Breeze.

Meanwhile, the unloaded infantry get aggressive, using the SU-76s for armored assault and if need be, some VBM Freeze. You'd basically be sacrificing them and hoping to get the SU-85s across the river. The line of open ground in front of the German defense is scary but it's actually pretty thin, and if you can get behind some Hindrance cover (or bring it along with you as you Armored Assault), then you should be able to achieve local superiority in numbers. The German force is brittle and if you can keep them from falling back in good order, you'll eventually achieve a breakthrough. At that point, you're hoping for a relatively clear path to the far side of the river by the end of the game.
Nice defence, recommend some Germans hanging out in the D1-D3 area, maybe at least a dummy. If the Russsins park a couple tanks up there on turn one, especially the Su-76s, they can tear it up. Best to bore site G6 with the mmg.