#28: Totsugeki! Round-up

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I suspect that a certain Mr Pete Phillipps might comment on your choices :) Or is VFTT not an online resource and you are going to give him a shout out in another episode?

Grumble Jones' blog is fun. I enjoy reading that.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I suspect that a certain Mr Pete Phillipps might comment on your choices :) Or is VFTT not an online resource and you are going to give him a shout out in another episode?
Pete will certainly get credit in future categories, and of course, hundreds of resources, contributors and initiatives were not mentioned.

Sure - the category could have been 'tournament organisers', 'blogs', 'publications', 'article writers'.. they're all valid and we were just trying to give credit to what we see as the top 5 online resources.

Alternatively, which one of the other 5 would you take off the list to include Pete/VFTT. And if it's for VFTT (which is of course superb), does that make Banzai, or any of the other online publications, less valuable?

Tricky stuff!

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Great review gents. I share the guilt for forgetting about the log file,... totally slipped my mind.

First off,... Martin is very, very kind in his comments but truth be told he had me very worried in the first three turns as he went through my centre with little effort and it did not appear anything could stop him.

My left flank was well defended with the right a mix of real and dummies. The intent was to contract 'inwards' towards the guns and I just made it in time. The only bright spot in the early game was the trap in Z3 (HIP FH, 337 DD squad and 9-1). Even here Martin almost sprung the trap with his advance fire when he had a 4 +1 against a squad, 2+1 against a ? squad and and 2+2 against the Hipsters. His DR missed the HIP units but broke or pinned everyone else (the Chinese had issues with MCs and Rally attempts early as well). I voluntarily broke the pinned unit and routed away leaving the hex empty so Martin would feel better about the advance into the trap. The Chinese win the ambush and the 1:2 -3 DRM CC (followed by a withdrawal). It cost Martin an SMC and two squads (one of which was already reduced). Even so, it still looked grim for the Chinese.

After that, the game turned slowly in the Chinese favour as the flanking infantry got into position by the guns and remnants of the centre force made it back to the middle gun. I did take the chance of having all the guns gain acquisitions to add risk to the Japanese advance as they arrived adjacent to the guns. This gained me two or three HE CH (w/ ROF on two occasions), helping to balance the scales. The Japanese and Chinese slowly melted away under fire attacks and CC with luck running roughly equal but the guns HE attacks and ROF of 2 probably won the day.

It was not an easy win and Martin pressed on until it became clear the Japanese win was no longer possible at the end of Japanese Turn 5. As always the game could have shifted again had one or two DR went the other way.

A very enjoyable game and Martin was a pleasure to play against.

Cheers.

Last edited:

applecatcher4

Reaction score
Country
ll

Thanks Joe, for the feedback. Pete was the organiser to all the first tournaments I went to. VFTT was the first publication to print my face. Pete was the first ASler to ever buy me a drink but we missed him out because we envy that he is skinny. Doesn't deserve a mention. :)

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know if many people these days have ever seen or heard from Rodney Kinney, father of VASL. Rodney hasn't posted publicly to this forum in a long time; I don't know if he's active in any other forum or whether he's actually working under the nom de plume of "Joel Uckelman" ;-)

Rodney is wicked smot. His PhD is in Plasma Physics and he now works for the Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence. Check out his bio and publications here. I don't think you get to work for that company without being Ridiculously Talented. Beyond that, Rodney is a funny and good guy. He spent a lot of time in Boulder and the Front Range ASL Club proudly stamps his membership card every year. (Now if he'd just swing by and pick it up).