#27: Dinant Scenario 1

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1.) Compared to the rules, that attempt at the last name was brutal. :-0

2) Martin is correct on Drift. The turn they launch, you are ok.

3) Per the French Chapter H Ordnance notes, the 37* require a crew to fire them. So any without a crew are unqualified use.

4) If the barrage caused that shellhole in an empty hex, then that didn't happen either. The Barrage Spares no hexes, but that means no OCCUPIED hexes. (Standard RB Barrage rules) so if there were no units/fortifications there, then there was no need to roll. Which means the Barrage by the Dorniers may have done nothing at all :). Remember to thank roundboy Goering for that one. :)

5) The supply shortage, was because regardless of who controlled the two crests, he was tracing supply through No Man's land beyond that, which you cannot do. So even if Martin had the two crest hexes, the woods are strategic locations too. Any hex within two of both sides Strategic Locations is a No Mans Land hex.

6) Check Rule DN7 on page 1. The woods had very little underbrush and have a -2DRM for their Spread DR. So the wind direction adds 2, but the SSR takes 2 off, and then -2 for not connected.

7) Lastly, per A20.53, the unarmed unit manning the MMG, has Inexperienced Troop Penalties.

Thanks for playing it guys. Having fun watching this develop.
Carl

Last edited:

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good to see Martin's hair has made a full recovery, and a few weeks in Croatia seems to agree with Dave.

MORE DAN DOLAN. He doesn't even have to talk ASL. Episode 28: Dan Mows The Lawn. Episode 29: Dan Has Breakfast. Brilliant.

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Can't wait for Episode 30: Dan's Post-Breakfast Bowel Movement!

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Similar situation to the game Lee and I played this spring. It will be interesting to see how the Afternoon CG date goes and what reinforcements the French commit in the face of an avalanche of Germans.

Keep your head down Dave!! :D

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Dave and Martin,

Thanks for another interesting episode. It would have been nice to have seen the situation after each turn,
and hear your thoughts. I guess the interview with DD was big enough that no room was available for an
in-scenario synopsis.

In lieu of a top contributors, how about a "Ten Questions with..." segment. I would be interested to hear
some thoughts from some of the more prolific designers (Shellling comes to mind immediately); I'd also
be interested to hear Perry or Klas chime in. These people do not have to be top contributors (although
the three people I mentioned are). Toby would also make a good interviewee, imho. Not to mention that
Mayers fellow.

You could use some of your top ten lists (except just ask for their favourite), like favourite major AFV,
favourite minor AFV.

Here are some ideas for questions (in no particular order):

When did you start playing ASL?

What got you into (A)SL?

Favourite scenario?

Most memorable moment?

Most memorable tournament experience?

What other board games do you play?

If you could wave a wand and change one thing (rule perhaps) about ASL,
what would it be, and why?

What was the biggest rule you misplayed (until you found out how the rule
actually worked)?