22nd Brackin Basement BashThread

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In about 2 hours we will have 16 ASLers battling for - well fun. I will invite them to post their AAR on this thread and I will provide a summary sometime tomorrow of what was played and the results. This is a rare year in that we have an even number players - usually we are odd (do with that what you like) - so I get to play in the morning round. We will see how that goes.

For those of you unfamiliar with the Bash (or BBB as we like to call it), it is a loose gathering of local ASLers who get together from some fun ASL and a lot of kibitzing - actually it is a group of local kibitzers who get together for some ASL. We usually a Hoagie tray and ASL Bingo (credit to Tom Repetti - since my forms require the mention of his name and genius). We have some door prizes that are donated by BFP and LFT which the Bingo winners receive - they are wrapped so even if they come with the most squares they do not know what they are receiving until it is opened - so far no one has actually had a Bingo occur.

Well it is off to get ready and I will make a post tomorrow with the results.

Jeff Waldon

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
Playing DB122 on VASL at the moment. An interesting design quite evocative of the action depicted Mr. Brackin.

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another Bash has come and gone. I will cover the most important aspect first – the food. Of course, the traditional Hoagie Tray from Primo’s was a success, but this year our chef has gone professional. Vince, or as you know him by – Major Issues – is now working as a chef which means he did not make the bash and to our demise we did not have his select delicacies like Stalingrad Sausages, Warsaw Charred Ham, and many others. However, we had some delicacies including a popular sausage pepper over noodles dish, some rice and potato salads and peach melba pastry provided by JRV and I believe some other surprises that were supplied by persons unknown to me. So do not fear we ate well and none of the ASLers lost any weight.

Now to the action – I will forward the link and encourage any of the players to write AARs of their own actions – I will provide just updates in this post.

Merzenhausen Zoo – Ron Duenskie (Allies) defeated Jason Wert (Germans)
  • The Gateway – Randy Rossi (German) defeated John Haughey (US)
  • Burnt Blue and Gray – Paul Sidhu (US) defeated Bret Johnson (German)
  • Burnt Blue and Gray – Paul Sidhu (German) defeated Bret Johnson (US) – yes, they played this one twice – I think Paul wanted a little revenge since Bret defeated him at the Bash last year
  • Lenin’s sons – Jonathan Kapleau (Russian) defeated Rob Schoenen (Germans)
  • Lost Highway – Jeff Miller (Germans) defeated Vince Maresca (US)
  • Centurions Reverse – JRV (British) defeated Steve Kyle (Chinese)
  • The Land of Fire – Andy Hershey (Russians) defeated Bob Dengler (Axis)
  • Broken Bamboo – Jim Brackin (Japanese) defeated Walt Uliki (British)
  • Defiance on Hill 30 – Andy Hershey (Germans) defeated Bret Johnson (US)
  • A Real Barn Burner – Randy Rossi (German) defeated Rob Schoenen (French)
At the end of the evening a bunch of us sicko’s played three or four games of Thunder Alley with as much competitiveness as any ASL match – although I do not think that Rossi or JRV really get that there are other games other than ASL.

I was able to get in a game on Friday versus Andy Hershey of Death to Fascism with me as the Russians. I was able to pull out a victory on T6 and held off the Romanian counterattack.

All in a busy weekend, but I believe a lot of fun was had by all.
I was able to get in a game on Friday versus Andy Hershey of Death to Fascism with me as the Russians. I was able to pull out a victory on T6 and held off the Romanian counterattack.

All in a busy weekend, but I believe a lot of fun was had by all.

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Broken Bamboo

We decided to play the Rising Sun version of the scenario and I can tell you the Japanese do need that additional squad. As the Japanese I had a screening force near the front of my set up - my goal was to fall back slowing the advance to cause a mad dash by the Ghurka's at game end. I also was able to place in a trench several of units to allow for a dummy 2 counted set up on my right.

As expected the British came down the middle of the boards with a small group on the Japanese right. On T2 the British 9-2 walked into an ambush of a HIP 8-0 and 447 which broke the stack. However in another action on T3 I got cocky when the one of British FT squads received a KIA. I used the 8-0 to DM the 9-2, this resulted in a wound then I went into CC with the British 8-1 and a squad adding one Japanese squad - this was the first of many bad CC for the Japanese. This put me into SSR 2 which means that instead of striping the Japanese break into 2 1/2 squads - however I either dies outright or passed my MCs the rest of the way - so no real affect but did causes some distress and limited my use of final protective fire.

On T4 it started to heat up with the British approaching the village. Turns 5-6 went on a complete roller coaster where I felt I had the game in hand and then felt that I had no chance - lots of excitement. The group on my right continued their push, and when a 8-1 with a 1/2 squad and FT went towards one of the buildings that I could not afford to lost I was able to pop out a Pillbox with a 447 and a LMG inside - the shot resulted in the leader going Berserk and taking the FT 1/2 squad with him - grrrr. they now charged and got into the hut. In the ADFPh the FT KIA the squad there - but that took off the Berserk on the 1/2 squad. On T7 the Berserk leader left on another charge and the 1/2 squad broke. To continue the attack another 1/2 squad moved adjacent and would enter in the ADPh, but even though I do not like moving a Sniper with a 2 result I had done this and got the 1 required to break that 1/2 squad - still the hut was in British Control. I had a crew absorb the chard of the Berserk leader resulting in the only Japanese CC victory and allowed him to re-enter and take Control of the last Hut. The other Hut that I needed had a whole group of British decide to stop for tea when they Pinned just one hex away from victory - the other MMG did his job.

This is a fun scenario - it is a little slow at first as there is a fighting withdraw - meaning limited action. But as the Japanese you will decide when that occurs and can use the terrain to an advantage. But the end is an intense slugfest as the British have to overcome the terrain in the approaches and the Japanese are trying to utilize as many of their tricks as possible.