2023 West Coast Melee

King Scott II

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Am I correct that the schedule for the tournament is just Friday and Saturday? I would like to attend this event, but I will have to arrive on Thursday evening and probably leave early on Sunday.
Hi David;

No, Sir...West Coast Melee will begin at noon on Thursday, March 02, 2023 for informal games. The tournament will formally begin in the morning on Friday, March 03, 2023 and will end on Sunday, March 05, 2023.

There will be several minis offered on both Friday and Saturday as well, if that better accommodates your availability.

Semper Fi!
Scott

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi David,

You can get in a pickup game Thursday evening if you are so inclined. You can enter a mini tournament which will have three rounds on Friday. You can also play pickup games Friday as well if you're not in a mini tournament (or get knocked out of one).

If you don't qualify for the Saturday Melee based on Friday's results, then you can continue to play pickup games/minis on Saturday, the same as on Friday.

...Fen

Yllanes

Reaction score
First name
David
Country
llUnited States
Thank you all for the replies. The main event itself is not that important, if I can play minis and pickup games all Friday and Saturday, the trip is worth it for me.

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Typically, the scenario lists for the minis are posted on the morning of the event.

King Scott II

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok. Just wanted to know what overlays may be needed. I'll bring them all.
We typically advise our out of town attendees that they only need their rules, charts, and dice. We encourage our local players to bring their full kit, and the club has a set that we can loan out as needed...I just need to confirm that the club set includes all of the overlays.

Semper Fi!
Scott

Last edited:

King Scott II

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok. Just wanted to know what overlays may be needed. I'll bring them all.
I confirmed that the club set does not include overlays, just counters and boards (not 100% up to date on boards).

However, as I pointed out, the local players bring their full kit and you should have no problem borrowing stuff as needed.

Semper Fi!
Scott

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
As a distant traveler I usually have my overlays, rule book and my BV set with me. I normally do not bring mapboards.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't live in Rancho Cucamonga but it is 45 minutes from office or home ... so I will have a full set of gear. Definitely more than 2 PP, perhaps 3. But if the HS has to go CX, we won't get as far.

;)

King Scott II

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
West Coast Melee XXV is just one week away...so close...

Because I will be busy with a bunch of stuff after the tournament, I would like to take the opportunity to thank our awesome and wonderful ASL community for supporting our 25th anniversary tournament.

In no particular order, the Southern California ASL Club would like to recognize the following companies, groups, and individuals for their generous donations:

Multi Man Publishing
Le Franc Tireur
Bounding Fire Productions
Lone Canuck
Dispatches From the Bunker
St. Louis ASL Club
Kansas City ASL Group
Carl Noguiera
Advancing Fire
Hazardous Movement
Mario Aceto

Our sincere thanks and gratitude for helping us to celebrate our 25th anniversary tournament.

Semper Fi!
Scott

Last edited:

King Scott II

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We had either 26 or 28 people through the doors and rolling dice today for the early gaming day...tournament begins in earnest tomorrow morning. Looks like we should have great attendance for our 25th.

We also got a number of prizes into people's hands today.

The campaign group from South OC are doing Dinant this year.

Semper Fi!
Scott

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Great time playing, chatting and drinking with old and new friends and acquaintances. Got home in NC this morning after a red-eye out of the nearby Ontario Airport. No problems. Only inconvenience was the rather unusually cold weather. A quick check of the weather before departing made packing some warmer clothes a necessity. Tourism was the Planes of Fame air museum on Sunday to see the current collection of rare, restored warbirds. I started going to this museum with my father in the mid sixties. My thanks to the SoCalASL staff members.