2021 Texas Team Tournament

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just a quick note to all that as of now the 2021 edition of the Texas Team Tournament here in Austin is still a go. Trends with vaccine availability continues to look promising so continuing to plan as though we will get the tourney in this year. We'll hold it June 17-20. All of the details can be found at our website (http://texas-asl.com/). I'm working with the hotel to try and make sure we can implement social distancing this year as much as possible. I am really looking forward to hopefully seeing everyone again.

Rick

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have always been curious what you mean by 'Team Tournament'. How does that work?
In our case it is very loosely structured. As in many of the events we sponsor during the tourney, we try to provide everyone attending the opportunity to vie for some hardware. Ultimately for everyone attending the tourney, I'll develop 3-player teams based on my understanding of each players skill levels. Each team consisting of a top player, a middle of the road player, and an inexperienced player. With the hope that each team has roughly the same opportunity to win as a team. Then you just have fun and play over the weekend. The top team at the end of the tournament is determined based on the combined individual performance of each team member. It is as simple as that - the team with the best combined won/loss record is the winner.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In our case it is very loosely structured. As in many of the events we sponsor during the tourney, we try to provide everyone attending the opportunity to vie for some hardware. Ultimately for everyone attending the tourney, I'll develop 3-player teams based on my understanding of each players skill levels. Each team consisting of a top player, a middle of the road player, and an inexperienced player. With the hope that each team has roughly the same opportunity to win as a team. Then you just have fun and play over the weekend. The top team at the end of the tournament is determined based on the combined individual performance of each team member. It is as simple as that - the team with the best combined won/loss record is the winner.
Always liked that of a Team Tourney, the competitive aspect is a bit diminished as a team event (but not in individual matches) but surely enhances the camaraderie aspect of the tournament as you're always checking the progress of your team members, known or unknown to you. It's especially fun when a buddy of yours is matched up against an unknown individual to you but that unknown guy is your team member. It's a perfect chance to razz your buddy beyond just giving him a normal ration as usual and make friends with a new player (on breaks or after the game preferably). In the end I find just meeting new guys with my same interest is as much enjoyment if not more than the actual play-but that's certainly a bonus.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Very nice concept! Sounds like fun. Well done!🤗🤗🤗

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Texas Team Tournament kicks off exactly 3 months from yesterday (June 17-20 here in Austin), and yes we are still a 'go'. Got my first vaccination shot today, and the overall vaccination availability looks like anyone that wants one should be able to get one by June. We'll continue to take precautions that weekend, as much as I can coordinate with the hotel. I've already started to do the usual line up of getting prizes, getting glassware bought, snacks purchased, figuring out what we'll play for Ferocity Fest this year, and what swag I'll be giving away, among other things. Head on out to www.texas-asl.com and get signed up.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The Texas Team Tournament kicks off exactly 3 months from yesterday (June 17-20 here in Austin), and yes we are still a 'go'. Got my first vaccination shot today, and the overall vaccination availability looks like anyone that wants one should be able to get one by June. We'll continue to take precautions that weekend, as much as I can coordinate with the hotel. I've already started to do the usual line up of getting prizes, getting glassware bought, snacks purchased, figuring out what we'll play for Ferocity Fest this year, and what swag I'll be giving away, among other things. Head on out to www.texas-asl.com and get signed up.
Hope all goes well for you and the event. Good luck and good health to all who attend.😊

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Watch out for the second as it can be a doozy for a couple of days (everyone's reaction is a bit different, I know.) Hoping for a good tournament year and the best to the TX gang! Who knows, maybe afetr being cooped up for a year you'll get a damn yankee jack-pine savage rousted out his log cabin in da nort voods.

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We are still a 'go' for the tourney this year. I'm continuing the prep for the tourney and am making good progress on getting everything lined up. With that I want to announce that I've decided on the scenario for Ferocity Fest this year. We'll be doing OtO-23 Cooked Hamman from Onslaught to Orsha II. This one has a little bit of everything that makes for a great FF - DCs, flamethrowers, assault engrs, AFVs, nose-to-nose brutality, all in a nice dense urban terrain setting. All of course garnished with the scoring sheet that we track FF points by and their politically incorrect outbursts to score. Lay the hurt on your opponent, score some points and rub it in while you're at it!
Head on out to www.texas-asl.com and get signed up to attend. Break out of covid with a bang at the Texas Team Tournament, June 17-20 here in Austin, TX.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We are still a 'go' for the tourney this year. I'm continuing the prep for the tourney and am making good progress on getting everything lined up. With that I want to announce that I've decided on the scenario for Ferocity Fest this year. We'll be doing OtO-23 Cooked Hamman from Onslaught to Orsha II. This one has a little bit of everything that makes for a great FF - DCs, flamethrowers, assault engrs, AFVs, nose-to-nose brutality, all in a nice dense urban terrain setting. All of course garnished with the scoring sheet that we track FF points by and their politically incorrect outbursts to score. Lay the hurt on your opponent, score some points and rub it in while you're at it!
Head on out to www.texas-asl.com and get signed up to attend. Break out of covid with a bang at the Texas Team Tournament, June 17-20 here in Austin, TX.
Cooked Hamman is a tight scenario.

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/so-what-scenarios-have-you-played-recently.73136/page-438#post-2039980

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rick, Who is number 33 on the sign up list? Is that the infamous "player to be named later" from baseball trades?

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rick, Who is number 33 on the sign up list? Is that the infamous "player to be named later" from baseball trades?
LOL. Yeah. Not sure why the script keeps wanting to insert a space sometimes.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
LOL. Yeah. Not sure why the script keeps wanting to insert a space sometimes.
Check the way you parse the input from the sign up form. I am willing to bet there is a trailing space at the end of a name. -- jim

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We kick everything off one short month from today! Got your shots? Then you have no excuse. Time to get back to having a life again, spending a weekend indoors, playing wargames 🆒 . Dropped the glassware off today for etching, will be picking up snacks and sodas soon, and I'll be getting with the tee shirt folks in a few days, so get out there and let everyone know you're coming to Austin! I know there are a few people asking about Wednesday evening play, and yeah, the room will be set up, so if you want to get in a game Wed evening, go for it. I know John Garlic indicated he was looking for an opponent for a decent sized scenario that weekend. So I expect he'll be reaching out soon.

GF of Seoul

Reaction score
Well, looks like I'll finally attend this year - I'm registered and made a hotel reservation!!
As an addendum - I'm looking to play Forgotten War scenarios if some others are also. As part of the design team, I'm finding it very interesting to play the module after it was polished and released by MMP.

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We are just 2 weeks out from the (re)start of the 28th Annual Texas Team Tournament here in Austin, TX (June 17-June 20). For anyone thinking about attending this years tournament, don't wait too much longer. The hotel room block ends this Thursday as does the chance to get in on all of the swag and tee for pre-registering. You can continue to pre-register after June 3rd, there's just no guarantee that I will have those items available. If you are coming and haven't yet gotten your hotel reservations in, again the room block ends this Thursday (June 3). Remember that you will need to contact the hotel directly and ask for the "Advanced Squad Leader" block rate. All the details are on our website, www.texas-asl.com. See you there!

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For those attending the Texas Team Tournament this week and are staying at the hotel. Please be aware that during the pandemic the hotel has stopped serving continental breakfast in the mornings and has as of yet not resumed making it available. So make sure to make allowances for breakfast in the mornings.