2021 eASL OPEN Registration Now Open

David Goldman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First a brief message to all,

It's been a heck of a year. Everything is up, down, sideways and messed up. 2021 will be better, '21 could be worse and no one wants that! So let's have a great year for ASL in '21.

The ASL OPEN website has been updated. https://aslopen.org
It has the registration form, rules and scenario list.

New this year I have included a Pleva Bidding System for all the scenarios, mandatory tournament rules and a really neat, if I say so myself, form that if used properly will get an email addressed to me that you insert your results and hit send, round by round. (There is also a form that addresses emails for the scenario selection/bids).

This year, I will be giving as prizes, all the registration fees, see the Rules. It is only $5.00 to register.

Because of Easter, the 6 Rounds will cover seven consecutive weeks. This is not for casual attendance as those players who don't play in all the rounds affect the standings of the players they have already played.

Even though there is a scenario list, if two players agree to play a scenario not on the list, that is OK except no one can play a scenario that is in a subsequent round and no one can play a scenario twice in the tournament.

That's all for now,

Happy New Year to Everyone.

David

Attachments

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The attachment looks like random Nordic jibberish with all types of crazy accents. Just say’in.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
@David Goldman Just to make sure, when you say "through as long as the money lasts", this means you need at least 40 paying customers to pay out 1 through 4 ($100 + $50 + $25 + $25 = $200, $200/$5 = 40) to be able to pay this out. I know no one expects you to get rich off this "scheme" but that might a subtle thing to someone taking third/forth if you only happen to get 30 participants.

I know with FtF, the vanquished player point system is a little bit of a problem with dropouts down the road, but it will be a much bigger problem with an online format. It is too easy for people who have no chance of winning to just drop out. Also, life happens and things come up. Those aren't challenges when we are all sitting in a hotel in Chicago. You may want to give some thought on how to handle that. It would be a crying shame to see people placing lower on the list because of drops. It is this drop that keeps me from participating (as I am one who would be likely to drop so I don't want to punish anyone in later rounds). -- jim

David Goldman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
@David Goldman Just to make sure, when you say "through as long as the money lasts", this means you need at least 40 paying customers to pay out 1 through 4 ($100 + $50 + $25 + $25 = $200, $200/$5 = 40) to be able to pay this out. I know no one expects you to get rich off this "scheme" but that might a subtle thing to someone taking third/forth if you only happen to get 30 participants.

I know with FtF, the vanquished player point system is a little bit of a problem with dropouts down the road, but it will be a much bigger problem with an online format. It is too easy for people who have no chance of winning to just drop out. Also, life happens and things come up. Those aren't challenges when we are all sitting in a hotel in Chicago. You may want to give some thought on how to handle that. It would be a crying shame to see people placing lower on the list because of drops. It is this drop that keeps me from participating (as I am one who would be likely to drop so I don't want to punish anyone in later rounds). -- jim

To Jim and All,

There are two excellent points raised in Jim's post.

Drop outs were not a significant problem in last year's eASL OPEN. There were one or two more than would likely would have happened if the OPEN was FtF. But even FtF there are folks who don't finish the last round or miss a round. It happens. I am heartened by Jim's comment that he would not likely participate because he has a probability of not being able to compete in one or even two rounds. But that should not deter Jim or anyone else from playing in the OPEN. Consider missing a round the equivalent of a 1 dr SAN. It might happen to change a game (or tournament) or it might not. I am only requesting that everyone should consider that they are making a commitment of time and making a best effort to play in all the rounds. That for some will prove to be impossible, but one or even two missed rounds does not affect the validity of the tournament as a whole. You might have won the missed game and you might have lost. The only thing assured is the certainty of a missed result.

Jim's second comment is the danger of not having enough finds to cover the prizes 4 through ??? That is not an issue based on more than 29 years of past registrations. This is the 30th year of the OPEN. I am confident that I will not suffer a monetary loss. It is my self imposed requirement to distribute all the registration fees as prizes in order to acknowledge everyone's support of the ASL OPEN. Since I normally bill my professional time at $495.00/hour, I do not run the OPEN as a profit making enterprise. However, if anyone wants to pay their proportionate share of my time I put into the OPEN, I'll prepare an invoice.... :)

All kidding aside, I hope that everyone who plays VASL and has participated or would participate in a tournament signs up for the OPEN. I would love to add the Seventh Round if we have more than 64 participants.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Jim's second comment is the danger of not having enough finds to cover the prizes 4 through ??? That is not an issue based on more than 29 years of past registrations. This is the 30th year of the OPEN. I am confident that I will not suffer a monetary loss. It is my self imposed requirement to distribute all the registration fees as prizes in order to acknowledge everyone's support of the ASL OPEN. Since I normally bill my professional time at $495.00/hour, I do not run the OPEN as a profit making enterprise. However, if anyone wants to pay their proportionate share of my time I put into the OPEN, I'll prepare an invoice.... :)
To be clear, I never doubted your honesty :). I make you the same off I made Pleva and Chas Argent: if you need to find a game from someone in an EU timezone, let me know. I can try to help.

If I were going to miss one round, I would probably not be too worried about it. But I would probably miss more than that. What's more, I would expect to be work at least +1 to someone which would hurt whoever beats me in round one :) -- jim

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
"Since I normally bill my professional time at $495.00/hour"

That's got to be a lawyer.........is this you David?

If it is shame on you for not putting down ASL as a hobby :):)

I suspect I'll be signing up - I really enjoyed your tourny last year. Thank you for running these.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Indeed, when I get to be David's age, I'd love to put in a few shifts with his team, but unfortunately, lack the required skills.
Not too old to go dumpster diving, lol. Thanks Rich!

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
David just sent round a message saying we're not playing for kidneys. If he thinks ASL is tough to administer he should spare a thought for British football referees:

"Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that." Bill Shankly

:)