2021 Canadian ASL Open

atomic

Reaction score
First name
Asad
Country
llSweden
Nice scenario choices, although I would never play The Amy H again in a tournament, after seeing it played in Kopenhagen some 20 years ago......

I don't play in virtual tournaments, so I might hope to see you all in vaccinated persons in 2022
Would you mind elaborating on that? I've never played that scenario but suggested it for the first round of CyberVASL XV. We chose J113 Maczek Fire Brigade instead but I'm eager to hear of your experience.
/asad

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Would you mind elaborating on that? I've never played that scenario but suggested it for the first round of CyberVASL XV. We chose J113 Maczek Fire Brigade instead but I'm eager to hear of your experience.
/asad
Maczek Fire Brigade is an absolute classic and a very elegant design. The Amy H is pretty much the opposite. Good decision!

I played the scenario at the ASO tournament, after preparing it by playing it pre-tournament. I did not enjoy either. I also recall it being very unbalanced, but most of all no fun at all for the British defender. He just sits there.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Nice scenario choices, although I would never play The Amy H again in a tournament, after seeing it played in Kopenhagen some 20 years ago......

I don't play in virtual tournaments, so I might hope to see you all in vaccinated persons in 2022
Yep...just a disaster of a scenario.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I was hoping to attend this tournament but it unfortunately falls right during the middle of my trip home to the US to get vaccinated. Have a good time folks. -- jim

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Maczek Fire Brigade is an absolute classic and a very elegant design. The Amy H is pretty much the opposite. Good decision!

I played the scenario at the ASO tournament, after preparing it by playing it pre-tournament. I did not enjoy either. I also recall it being very unbalanced, but most of all no fun at all for the British defender. He just sits there.
That's strange, we just had it play out with 4 German and 4 British wins in the Alberta tournament with a 9th game (non-tournament) going to the British. ROAR also has it at 33/33. I quite enjoyed it in my two tries as the German (a win and a loss).

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's strange we just had it play out with 4 German and 4 British wins in the Alberta tournament with a 9th game (non-tournament) going to the British. ROAR also has at 33/33. I quite enjoyed it in my two tries as the German (a win and a loss).
Yup. A gem of a scenario!

Darren Kovacs

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
What is the start time for Rounds 4 and 5 of the CASLO?
Not sure if you have been answered yet, but here goes.

Rounds 4 and 5 of the main tournament will be expected to be played between 0900h and 2300h CST.
The same will apply for the 3-day mini tournaments (May 21 to 23).
CASLA website has been updated to reflect this. https://canadianasl.org/caslo/
We hope to have the Virtual Tournament rules updated real soon. To replace last year's version :)

Darren

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Rounds 4 and 5 of the main tournament will be expected to be played between 0900h and 2300h CST.
The same will apply for the 3-day mini tournaments (May 21 to 23).
Thanks Darren. That isn't quite the answer I was hoping for though. I was asking about start times.

Given the length of some scenarios, my thinking was that there needed to be a designated start time (or a designated window for starts) in order to ensure that there is sufficient time to complete a scenario before the end of Rounds 4 and 5 of the main tourney.

Based on registrations so far, attendees are spread across at least seven time zones. It'll be challenging enough for Canadians on the east and west coasts to agree on a time period to play. However, if a player in Vancouver is scheduled to play someone in Paris, for example, there is very little wiggle room when it comes to a suitable start (and finish) time for both parties. For instance, the player in BC could say that he isn't available until 1100 CST (0900 local, which is hardly unreasonable). However, this would translate into a 1800 start time for the player in Paris. Any later, and the Parisien is looking at playing well past midnight.

For example, a Pacific player could make a case for starting at a 1500 CST, which would allow for 8 hours of play before the round deadline, but force the Parisien to begin play at midnight! A player in Halifax paired with the same west-coast opponent could be faced with a 1900 start, with the prospect of playing until 0300 the next day.

IMhO, a designated start time/window would help mitigate such extremes.

Darren Kovacs

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Chris,

I did not get explicitly get into it what the Virtual tournament rules should spell out.

As per my response, what I did mean to say is the round starts at 0900h CST and ends at 2300h CST. The window is based on CST or Winnipeg time. It is expected the matches will be complete within this time window and there is not going to be any leniency on that time frame. We are expecting those in a relatively extreme time difference are able to accommodate this window. My apologies for not being clear.

Making this window, we are expecting play to begin at 0900h CST or thereabouts so they can finish the round on time. The scenarios should be smaller than the week-long rounds. Also it is an expectation that registrants have freed up the weekend, almost as if they were attending a live event.

For those who have not planned to conform, I'm not sure what to say at this time. This tournament wasn't meant for casual play.

Hope that clears things up a bit. I am not the tournament director but I am aware that the Virtual Tournament Rules are being finalized and I do understand the intent (hopefully) :)

Darren

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Chris,

I did not get explicitly get into it what the Virtual tournament rules should spell out.

As per my response, what I did mean to say is the round starts at 0900h CST and ends at 2300h CST. The window is based on CST or Winnipeg time. It is expected the matches will be complete within this time window and there is not going to be any leniency on that time frame. We are expecting those in a relatively extreme time difference are able to accommodate this window. My apologies for not being clear.

Making this window, we are expecting play to begin at 0900h CST or thereabouts so they can finish the round on time. The scenarios should be smaller than the week-long rounds. Also it is an expectation that registrants have freed up the weekend, almost as if they were attending a live event.

For those who have not planned to conform, I'm not sure what to say at this time. This tournament wasn't meant for casual play.

Hope that clears things up a bit. I am not the tournament director but I am aware that the Virtual Tournament Rules are being finalized and I do understand the intent (hopefully) :)

Darren
The bolded text in red was what I was after Darren.

Thanks for confirming that there is a start time. Because the first three rounds of the CASLO are played over three weeks, I thought it was important for participants to understand that the expectations for rounds 4 and 5 could be markedly different.

I think you've made CASLA's position clear. Hopefully this won't discourage those who've already registered from participating in the final rounds.

Chris

SSlunt

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It should be noted that this Tournament is about points so EVERY game is important even if you did not win a game in the first three rounds. I would hope that if you are signing up to play that you are committed to play EACH AND EVERY round.

Every round is sacred ever game is good. Every win is needed in you tournament
(my apologies to Eric Idle in taking liberties with his song)

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Chris,

As per my response, what I did mean to say is the round starts at 0900h CST and ends at 2300h CST.

Also it is an expectation that registrants have freed up the weekend, almost as if they were attending a live event.

The only issue I see is a GMT-7 playing a GMT+1 on the single day play.
As most "live events" start at 9am It could be an issue with either party. 7am PDT start or perhaps a 1200PDT start means a 9pm start for the EU players.

TBH the 2300hrs end time is arbitrary. It doesn't take long to figure out pairings for the next round even if the info isn't in until 0700CST. That's a 2 hour window. MOST games will be completed so the only game(s) left would be a OH ok...he loses, he wins.....you go here, you go there. Considering the length to complete the match is huge, another 1hr "delay" shouldn't be a problem.. not that there would be a delay

As you said, they should have allocated the time anyway. I can't start at 0900CST but I have plenty of time to finish the game. And there should be no complaint as long as the scenario can be completed.

No worries...
BTW I'm currently playing a UK player starting at 2300hrs PDT as that corresponds to his 0700GMT time

In the end, If the scenario takes 5 hr to complete, there should be no penalty in starting 5hr before the end of the day.

Btw There is a Chess Clock feature for VASL.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
It should be noted that this Tournament is about points so EVERY game is important even if you did not win a game in the first three rounds. I would hope that if you are signing up to play that you are committed to play EACH AND EVERY round.

Every round is sacred ever game is good. Every win is needed in you tournament
(my apologies to Eric Idle in taking liberties with his song)
So, the players that drop from the Main entering the minis, do their mini wins losses count for the Main tournament players?

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The only issue I see is a GMT-7 playing a GMT+1 on the single day play.
A Haligonian is four hours ahead of a Vancouverite. Therefore, in order to allow an eight-hour block (for setup, play, breaks, and ISP/VASL SNAFUs), the latest start time for a player in the Maritimes would be 1600 Atlantic time, or 1200 in BC (1400 CST). (Btw, a player in NFLD is 30 minutes ahead of the Maritimes.)

TBH the 2300hrs end time is arbitrary.
It's not arbitrary. A cutoff time is necessary to ensure that no player in Canada is forced to play beyond a certain time. The 2300 CST cutoff translates into a 0100 finish for someone in New Brunswick (0130 for someone in St. John's.) IMO, that's an hour too late. But it's not my call to make. However, if there is a designated window for start times, this needn't be an issue for players on the eastern side of the continent.

I can't start at 0900 CST.
I wouldn't expect someone to have to start at 0700 (or earlier) unless they elected to participate in an event that dictated a given start time.

...but I have plenty of time to finish the game.
Your opponent may not, especially if he is several hours ahead of you.

And there should be no complaint as long as the scenario can be completed.
Unless, of course, the scenario cannot be completed.

BTW I'm currently playing a UK player starting at 2300hrs PDT as that corresponds to his 0700GMT time.
<shrug> When I played in a UK event last year, I had to get up at 0300 in order to play at 0400 my time. I accepted that going in, as the start times were advertised in advance. Moreover, the first round had to be completed by a certain time so that the second round could start on time. These decisions are made by the TD. We can either accept them, or take our virtual dice elsewhere.

In the end, If the scenario takes 5 hr to complete, there should be no penalty in starting 5hr before the end of the day.
So what penalty should there be if the game isn't concluded before the cutoff? And how does one determine who should be penalized?

By spelling out start and finish times in advance, a TD can avoid a lot of unnecessary headache, and players can get on with the business of pushing virtual cardboard.

IOW, establishing the rules of engagement beforehand can go a long way toward avoiding the need to penalize anyone.