2021 Canadian ASL Open

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The Winnipeg ASL Club is honoured to be hosting the 25th anniversary of the Canadian ASL Open, with help from the Canadian ASL Association.
Our only regret is that we won't be able to sit down together to play in person.

For this online-only CASLO XXV, we are departing from the usual 5 rounds over 3 days mandated by our charter.
There will be five rounds of action in the main CASLO tournament this year, with a twist: the first 3 rounds will each be one week length, and the final 2 rounds will each be one full day length.
    1. May 1 to May 7
    2. May 8 to May 14
    3. May 15 to May 21
    4. May 22 only
    5. May 23 only
This allows for some longer/bigger scenarios in the first 3 rounds. Even the last 2 rounds will be longer than the usual CASLO rounds, so medium-sized scenarios can still be included. For more info go to https://canadianasl.org/caslo/
In addition, several Canadian ASL clubs have been invited to offer themed mini tournaments over the final weekend of our main event. The minis will take place May 21 to 23 and each round will be one full day length.
Minis will be limited to 4 players per group.

Registration is open now at https://canadianasl.org/how-to-register/ and participants will be provided with scenario packages by April 1(anticipated). Registration is $10 CAD.
Participants must either select the main CASLO XXV tournament or rank their top 3 mini choices.
Entrants in the main CASLO XXV tourney will be allowed to switch to a mini (space permitting) if they take a loss in round 1 or 2.

Plaques will be shipped to the top 3 finishers in the main.
Mini winners will receive digital certificates suitable for framing.
Dice certificates will also be awarded for snake-eyes, boxcars, ROF and snipers.

Participants will have a selection from our prize pool in descending order of finish until there are no more prizes.
Registration fees will cover production costs (plaques) and shipping.

We are hoping this online-only format will allow many players to participate who might not otherwise be able to attend.
See you soon and stay safe and sane.
Steffen Knippel, TD

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The Winnipeg ASL Club is honoured to be hosting the 25th anniversary of the Canadian ASL Open, with help from the Canadian ASL Association.
Our only regret is that we won't be able to sit down together to play in person.

For this online-only CASLO XXV, we are departing from the usual 5 rounds over 3 days mandated by our charter.
There will be five rounds of action in the main CASLO tournament this year, with a twist: the first 3 rounds will each be one week length, and the final 2 rounds will each be one full day length.
    1. May 1 to May 7
    2. May 8 to May 14
    3. May 15 to May 21
    4. May 22 only
    5. May 23 only
This allows for some longer/bigger scenarios in the first 3 rounds. Even the last 2 rounds will be longer than the usual CASLO rounds, so medium-sized scenarios can still be included. For more info go to https://canadianasl.org/caslo/
In addition, several Canadian ASL clubs have been invited to offer themed mini tournaments over the final weekend of our main event. The minis will take place May 21 to 23 and each round will be one full day length.
Minis will be limited to 4 players per group.

Registration is open now at https://canadianasl.org/how-to-register/ and participants will be provided with scenario packages by April 1(anticipated). Registration is $10 CAD.
Participants must either select the main CASLO XXV tournament or rank their top 3 mini choices.
Entrants in the main CASLO XXV tourney will be allowed to switch to a mini (space permitting) if they take a loss in round 1 or 2.

Plaques will be shipped to the top 3 finishers in the main.
Mini winners will receive digital certificates suitable for framing.
Dice certificates will also be awarded for snake-eyes, boxcars, ROF and snipers.

Participants will have a selection from our prize pool in descending order of finish until there are no more prizes.
Registration fees will cover production costs (plaques) and shipping.

We are hoping this online-only format will allow many players to participate who might not otherwise be able to attend.
See you soon and stay safe and sane.
Steffen Knippel, TD
Best of luck with the event! Hope everyone has a great time.🤗

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Thanks! I know that I'm really looking forward to it. Unique times call for unique formats. But it'll be a good one!
You adapt. Do what you have to do. Dare I say it? Any port in a storm!😉😉

I'm sure you guys will do an excellent job and thanks to you all for hosting it.🥰

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Always a well organized good time with interesting scenarios.

I enjoyed the last FTF Canadian Open in Ottawa and also enjoyed last year's VASL version.

Just registered!

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Always a well organized good time with interesting scenarios.

I enjoyed the last FTF Canadian Open in Ottawa and also enjoyed last year's VASL version.

Just registered!
Thank you for your kind words! Looking forward to seeing you "online" once again.

David

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Michael is there a maximum number for this CASLO?
Dave
No. As many as can register. That was an error last year (mine) to limit attendance. That said, I was planning an in-person event and space was limited and I hadn't thought out that we have around 5 tie breakers in the event of a number of undefeated people at the end this year.

FMFCB

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llCanada
No. As many as can register. That was an error last year (mine) to limit attendance. That said, I was planning an in-person event and space was limited and I hadn't thought out that we have around 5 tie breakers in the event of a number of undefeated people at the end this year.
Thanks David, maybe I will play you this year.
Dave

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Registrations as of April 30:

David Garvin
Darren Kovacs
Nick Faryna
Wai-kwong Wong
Stephen Stewart
David Howarth
Rich Domovic
Michael Rodgers
John Lehman
Erik Lindblad
Greg Barsness
Scott Schafers
Jeff Newell
Gerry Proudfoot
Jeff Wasserman
Ernst Knauth
Blake Ball
Will Willow
Rich Jenulis
David Goldman
Johnathan Kay
Rob Wirthlin
John F. Garlic
Peter Rogneholt
Jon Halfin
Andre Escobedo
Paul Chamberland
Kalle Widell
Bruno L'Archeveque
Andy Beaton
Jimmy Engren
Jonas Björkqvist
Steve Slunt
David Wolfe
Andrew Young
Andrew Luden
Stéphane Renaudin
Neal Ekengren
Jean-Francois Fortin
Dan Braund
Francois Guerette
Matt Keurejian
Brian Wiersma

Last edited:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Here is the scenario list for the main tournament. The attachment contains the main tournament scenarios and the mini tournaments' scenarios, with details like sides, boards, overlays, etc.

1 A112 Gift of Time
1 AP131 Crickets in Spring
1 BFP119 Real Steel
1 BFP51 Kwajalein Crush
1 LSSAH47 Turning Point

2 203 Hard Rok
2 AP55 The Generalissimo's Own
2 FrF42 Kiss of Fury
2 J142 Penny Packets
2 J167 Hart Attack

3 AP89 To the Pain
3 DTF-2 Blitzkrieg!
3 J74 Priests on the Line
3 MP12 A Worthy Adversary
3 RPT167 Meatchoppers with Knives

4 CDN2 Drive The Canadian On Hard
4 FT245 Ciao Cina!
4 J193 Raff's Rules
4 J51 Canicatti
4 OA29 The Amy H

5 AP100 Coal in Their Stockings
5 BFP118 Kazina Klash
5 J191 Rebels Without a Pause
5 J50 The Cactus Farm
5 SP241 Esebeck's Pursuit

Attachments

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice scenario choices, although I would never play The Amy H again in a tournament, after seeing it played in Kopenhagen some 20 years ago......

I don't play in virtual tournaments, so I might hope to see you all in vaccinated persons in 2022
I was rather pleased to see so much love for the TPP scenarios in total, for a major tournament. Not something one sees often. There is a lot of choices in both the main and in the minis for some really good TPP scens.

Eclectic, enjoyable, and should make for an interesting tourney. I am glad its virtual this year, allows me to participate in the midst of planning a family move.

KRL, Jon H