2021 AAR

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Happy New Year everyone!

2021 is finished and my ASL journey continues. I played 150 scenarios this year! With 60 wins (a new record) and 90 losses. My primary opponent with 110 scenarios was Grumble Jones.

Here is a look at the goals I had for 2021:

1. Play 100 scenarios. Attend one ASL tournament in person (as soon as I get the vaccine). I am hoping the vaccine allows Texas and ASLOK to be played in person and I hope to attend both! I played 150 a 50% increase. I also attended two (small) tourneys successfully avoiding any COVID.
  2. Play 40 from the official numbered scenarios (including any new ones from Hollow Legions 2). This include all the scenarios from AOO, which are big. New goal is to play all 252 (and new one from HL2). I played 58 official numbers scenarios. Completing scenarios from FK&C, AOO and DB3. I was down to 36 scenarios remaining...but with the addition of another 37 numbered scenarios in HL3...I still have 73 remaining.
  3. Play less than 10 scenarios I have played before. My win/loss record may not like it but I have only played 8% of the scenarios I own. I played 4 repeats. More scenarios were published (and purchased by me) than I played this year. Even so, I increased my total games to 9% of the scenarios I own.
It was a great year of ASL and I achieved all three goals. I also played some great matches, with some of which being:
  1. ASL 121 End Station Budapest against Dave Mareske. Axis Minors against Axis Minors in a street fight that went to the last CC (which I lost).
  2. Q18 Take The Crossroads against Russ Gifford. My first time playing Russ, a great honor, since he has done so much for the hobby. Also came down to the last CC (which I lost) in this warm up game for the Sioux City ASL tournament.
  3. RB 7 The Red House against Grumble Jones. Part of a triple playing we did of Red Barricades scenarios (RB 3, RB 6, and RB 7). Great night scenario that I have wanted to play for 30 years. I won handily, but Grumble Jones took the series winning 2 of 3 games. These three games were all excellent and games I have wanted to play for 30 years.
  4. ASL 188 Zon With The Wind against Paul Works. I won as the Americans!?! Paul got his revenge winning the other six games we played this year. But I won as the Americans.
My goals for 2022 are as follows:
  1. Play 120 ASL scenarios. Attend two ASL tournaments. We will be holding March Madness in person and I have my booster and am ready to go. Hopefully COVID rates will decline enough that public health does not impose a shutdown. I also need to attend Texas to play some last official scenarios.
  2. Play 40 official numbered scenarios. This will include some desert goodness from HL3 and some big scenarios to play in Texas (for big Major Johnson points) including all three from Gavutu-Tanambogo. Also Parker's Crossroads, Swan Song and others of a large corn fed variety.
  3. Play less than 10 scenarios I have played before. This would get me over the 10% mark of scenarios I own. If there are not over 300 new scenarios published this year...which is possible. I collect scenarios like some people collect books.
My thanks to my opponents this year; Grumble Jones, Dave Mareske, Scott Martin, Paul Works, Robert Schmitt, Russ Gifford, Doug Leach, Dennis Dowd, Lee Conner, Burnie Hagdahl and James Treu. I am looking forward to playing them all again.

Happy new year to all and may all your ASL goals be achieved in 2022!

Danno

Last edited: