2020 Page A54

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The picture of the British 6-4-8 that was originally on page A54 in rule A25.42 Airborne has now shifted to A25.43 Gurkha. It initially confused me, but I quickly determined it was a simple error on the updated page A54. I was somewhat taken aback for such an error to appear in the ASLRB at this late date in the history of Chapter A. As a publisher, I do understand that errors to occur.
Thoughts?

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There's a great old WW deuce joke in there:

The Sergeants Major of a Gurkha battalion asks the formed battalion if any would like to volunteer for the new airborne infantry unit being formed. A voice in the back calls out, "What's airborne infantry!". The CSM explains it's infantry flown into battle by planes and they jump out to fight the enemy. About half of the battalion steps forward to volunteer. The CSM is beside himself with disgust clamoring he is appalled at the lack of elan and espirite de corps shown by such an elite and feared unit that they would not all volunteer to parachute into enemy territory to engage their enemies. Again the voice in the back exclaims, WHAT?! We get to use parachutes!"

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
A voice in the back calls out, "What's airborne infantry!".
There was a somehow similar anecdote in the bonus features of the "Band of Brothers" series, told by one of the veterans - but the catch that made them volunteer seemed to be "you get double pay". But it was told by someone who did jump out of planes to engage the enemy - might not be 100% accurate, but still pretty scary.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The way I heard the joke was something like:

As the use of paratroops was increasing during the Malaya confrontation in the 1950's, a British colonel asked the leader of a platoon of Gurkha if they would be prepared to jump from a C130.

Somewhat to the colonel's surprise, the Gurkha sergeant requested a day to talk it over with his men.

The next day, the Gurkha duly reported that they would do it, but only over marshy ground with the aircraft flying at no more than 100 ft.

'But at a hundred feet the parachutes wouldn't work,' the colonel explained.

The Gurkha replied, 'Parachutes? No-one mentioned parachutes!'

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
There was a somehow similar anecdote in the bonus features of the "Band of Brothers" series, told by one of the veterans - but the catch that made them volunteer seemed to be "you get double pay". But it was told by someone who did jump out of planes to engage the enemy - might not be 100% accurate, but still pretty scary.
Yes, the anecdote was something like:

"So we were in a room, and they said 'who wants armored', 'who wants artillery', or whatever and then someone said 'who wants airborne?'

"We looked at each other - 'What the hell is the airborne?'

"The guy says 'Well, you got all your army equipment and you jump out of a plane.'

"We said 'go to hell.' But then he said - and I don't remember how it came up - but you got an extra 30 bucks a month for jump pay."

The interviewee then mimed putting his hand up. Yes, please.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is a joke concerning Gurkhas and their Kukri knives: A Gurkha and a German soldier engage in hand-to-hand combat, The German lunges with hs
bayoneted rifle and misses. The Gurkha draws his kukri and slashes. "Ha! You missed!" said the German. "Wait until you have to shake your head."
replied the Gurkha.

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also the first two illos in the Italian section on A55 are flipped. The second one should be the elite/1st line/conscript progression (to go with 25.61).

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Also the first two illos in the Italian section on A55 are flipped. The second one should be the elite/1st line/conscript progression (to go with 25.61).
A26.61 should have the 4-4-7, 2-4-7, crew - like it did on the 2000 version. The 4-4-7, 3-4-6, 3-3-6 orignally went with A26.62, together with the 3-4-7, 3-3-6.

For the 2014 pages the illustration were change a bit, due to space reasons.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The way I heard the joke was something like:

As the use of paratroops was increasing during the Malaya confrontation in the 1950's, a British colonel asked the leader of a platoon of Gurkha if they would be prepared to jump from a C130.

Somewhat to the colonel's surprise, the Gurkha sergeant requested a day to talk it over with his men.

The next day, the Gurkha duly reported that they would do it, but only over marshy ground with the aircraft flying at no more than 100 ft.

'But at a hundred feet the parachutes wouldn't work,' the colonel explained.

The Gurkha replied, 'Parachutes? No-one mentioned parachutes!'
Yup .. that's the version I heard too

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
There is a joke concerning Gurkhas and their Kukri knives: A Gurkha and a German soldier engage in hand-to-hand combat, The German lunges with hs
bayoneted rifle and misses. The Gurkha draws his kukri and slashes. "Ha! You missed!" said the German. "Wait until you have to shake your head."
replied the Gurkha.
Bumping it up for Old Noob