2020 AAR

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well 2020 is in the books. Happy New Year everyone!

Here are the results of my ASL play in 2020. I had 153 total games! 43 wins, 108 losses and 2 draws. This is a new record number of scenarios played in a year. New record number of wins and new record number of losses. The trifecta of records.

Here were my goals for 2020:

1. Play over 80 scenarios and attend 5 tournaments. I almost doubled the number of scenarios but sadly due to the pandemic did not attend any tournaments.
  2. Play 12 scenarios from first 100 (6 from WOA and 6 from Last Hurrah). I played 50 scenarios from the first 100 and completed all 100!
  3. Play 10 scenarios from the remaining official numbers scenarios. I played 22 over double the goal. I have played 57 scenarios from ASL 101 - ASL 252. I have 95 remaining.
  4. Limit to playing less than 10 scenarios that I have played before. I only repeated 4 scenarios.
I only played 6 opponents, three only one game. My win ratio was well below my average of 41% (at 28%). Giving me a new average of 38%. I attribute this to playing much harder opponents and to playing the first 100 scenarios which all introduce new rules into the game. Plus playing scenarios for the first time.

My top three scenarios were:
1. ASL 71 Jungle Citadel. This was one of my three wins against Paul Works. Out of the 29 games we played. I was the defending Japanese. This scenario is a defenders paradise with great fortifications and a chance for clever counterattacks although the air support makes moving in the open almost impossible. A good set up allowed the Japanese to defend in place and only counter attack through tunnels.

2. ASL 40 Fort McGregor. This was against Grumble Jones with whom I am more evenly matched, although he had a winning record against me this year. I was the attacking Germans at night with the bombardment clearing the wire, I was able to attack from all directions and overwhelm the British. Grumble Jones got his revenge in the night action AP 39 Old Hickory holding out as the Americans.

3. ASL 173 Father Sunshine. My Russians had a successful attack against Finns in the north woods. One of my few wins against Dave Mareske on a balanced scenario. Dave and I played 48 scenarios and I only managed 7 wins...this one due to good use of Russian tanks.

Goals for 2021:
  1. Play 100 scenarios. Attend one ASL tournament in person (as soon as I get the vaccine). I am hoping the vaccine allows Texas and ASLOK to be played in person and I hope to attend both!
  2. Play 40 from the official numbered scenarios (including any new ones from Hollow Legions 2). This include all the scenarios from AOO, which are big. New goal is to play all 252 (and new one from HL2).
  3. Play less than 10 scenarios I have played before. My win/loss record may not like it but I have only played 8% of the scenarios I own.
My thanks to Grumble Jones, Dave Mareske and Paul Works for playing so many games with me this year. Especially over Skype where technology can sometimes interfere with play. I look forward to the slow return to normal, whatever that looks like post-pandemic. While the social distancing has allowed more ASL play time over Skype, I'll play less to get back to some tournament fun and FTF games.

Happy new year and hopefully your ASL goals all are achieved.

Danno

Last edited:

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My Goal for 2021 (Early part, 1Q)-

Play a game of ASL on VASL.

Been playing with the maps for design purposes, and actually used VASSAL for the War at Sea Ladder, so I think it's not my computer any more.

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Been playing with the maps for design purposes, and actually used VASSAL for the War at Sea Ladder, so I think it's not my computer any more.
I might have to add this same goal to my list... I already know it is not my computer. I am a computer user...not a person who enjoys using them.

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Goal complete. Played ASL 103 over VASL. System much improved over when I tried in 2005. Especially in setting up boards. Missed playing with my set. But good to be proficient with VASL.