2019 AAR

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played 88 scenarios in 2019. I won 34, lost 52 and had 2 tie. This is below my average win record of 41%. There are several factors for this increase in scenarios lost. First I only played 10 scenarios before. Your chances of winning a scenario increase significantly if you have played it before, even if your opponent has. Second, I deliberately chose to play more American scenarios. I am not very good at playing American scenarios. The combination of high firepower and low morale is my ASL kryptonite. I cannot win with the low morale. I cannot win against the high firepower. I played 23 American scenarios and lost 16 (30.4% win rate).

I achieved several ASL goals in 2019:
  1. Played 88 scenarios and attended 5 ASL tournaments.
  2. I played all the scenarios from BV3. Prior to this goal I had only played all the scenarios from Partisan (and BV1).
  3. I played all the scenarios from Paratrooper and Yanks(1).
  4. I played more of the first 100 official scenarios. I have been playing ASL since 1985. At the start of the year I had only played 32 of the first 100 official scenarios (AH/MMP). Not a record a veteran player could brag about. I played 15 scenarios from the first 100 in 2019.
  5. I also played another 6 from the next 100 official scenarios (101-200). At the start of the year I only had 24 of those played. In total of the first 230 official scenarios I have played 80.
My goals for 2020 in ASL:
  1. Play over 80 scenarios and attend 5 ASL tournaments.
  2. Play all the scenarios from West of Alamein and The Last Hurrah I have not played before. And some from Croix de Guerre 2. Getting another 15 or more from the first 100 official scenarios.
  3. Play 10 scenarios or more from the remaining 130 official scenarios (101-230 plus what comes in CDG2).
  4. Play less than 10 scenarios that I have played before.
My thanks to all my opponents in 2019. Looking forward to a great 2020 in ASL!

Danno

Last edited:

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dan,

Impressive! You've inspired me to look at my year in ROAR. I only played half as many as you (43) and didn't have such focused goals. I played about the same number in 2018.

I attended three tournaments (DC-Human Wave, Gettysburg, and Albany) plus Brackin's and Dolan's get-togethers. Also did a couple playtests. Roughly half my games (and 8 of 11 losses) were to the NJ crew of Duenskie, Mei, Rosso, and Kapleau. My other three losses were to Pleva, Bendis (still in appeal though, :) awaiting Pete's verdict on prisoners counting for VP in Emergency Surgery), and Dan Stanhagen.

I enjoyed a lot of FW/SP Korea, LFT Deluxe/Italian pack, and ASLOK AP bocage scenarios. Tournament planners may want to look at 'Second to None' which is a fun, well-balanced, and tournament-sized bocage scenario.

Paul

Last edited:

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dan,

Impressive! You've inspired me to look at my year in ROAR. I only played half as many as you (43) and didn't have such focused goals. I played about the same number in 2018.

I attended three tournaments (DC-Human Wave, Gettysburg, and Albany) plus Brackin's and Dolan's get-togethers. Also did a couple playtests. Roughly half my games (and 8 of 11 losses) were to the NJ crew of Duenskie, Mei, and Kapleau. My other three losses were to Pleva, Bendis (still in appeal though, :) awaiting Pete's verdict on prisoners counting for VP in Emergency Surgery), and Dan Stanhagen.

I enjoyed a lot of FW/SP Korea, LFT Deluxe/Italian pack, and ASLOK AP bocage scenarios. Tournament planners may want to look at 'Second to None' which is a fun, well-balanced, and tournament-sized bocage scenario.

Paul
Paul, That is a great win/loss record you have there. It is great to review your record at the end of the year and make some plans. :sneaky:

I enjoyed our two games. Let me know if there is any way to temp you to come to March Madness. Texas and ASLOK are on my goals this year too.

Dan

buser333

Reaction score
I was quite disappointed I didn't get to 100 games in 2019 (99), but I did manage to play the same amount of opponents I did the year before (25).
My two most common opponents were my old buddy Magnus Rimvall (20) and my new buddy David Murray (17).
Almost all of my games are live VASL but, as in years past, I did manage to meet with one of my regular opponents.
In fact, last year I met with two of them. One in January when he happened to be in my area, and another with my sole PBEM opponent in October when he hosted game day at his house. My pairing from that day has now become one of my regular opponents. ASL continues to be a great way of meeting some great people.
I continued to work on my quest of playing all the core module scenarios, and I've now played all but four scenarios from the first four modules (three of these being BV3 remakes). The ones after that have a lot more gaps.
I still have yet to finish a CG, but I have two in the works - one with David (Sand and Blood), and the other with my old buddy Scott Sherer (with whom I'm about to start a couple of the KGS scenarios in preparation for one of the CGs. He will of course be the Germans)!
So I fully expect 2020 to be yet another fun-filled, action-packed year of ASL for me!

Last edited:

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
My 2019 record is a far cry from the three esteemed gents above
  • Completed 25 Total
    • Playtest 7
    • Win 7
    • Lost 11
    • PBeM 6
    • Live VASL 19
  • Carrying 9 games to 2020
  • Played 13 opponents (incl games carrying over to 2020 & games dropped/on hold)
    • 50% games are played with 2 opponents
I want to play more scenarios from Dispatches from the Bunker & Friendly Fire, which I achieved.
I want to try Carl Nogueira/David Lamb's Dien Bien Phu, I did 2.
I want to try scenarios from Time on Target, I did 1.

In 2020 I'd like to :
  • Continue playing through
    • Dispatches from the Bunker
    • Friendly Fire
    • LFT14 Italians
    • Action Pack 14
    • Complete a playthru of BFP Operation Cobra
    • Get started with the Korean War
I'd also like to eat right & to sleep tight so as to stay healthy for as long as possible so that I can play as much of my scenarios as possible. I wish the same of my opponents.

The game's fantastic, my opponents divine. It's a real privilege to be in touch with all of these gents regularly through the year. I love the weekly chats and I love getting emails that are not newsletters, alerts or bills.

I should also mention the designers I work with, I learn sooooo much from them. Good Lord, are they knowledgeable!

I wish you and yours the absolute best.

Warm regards,
Jack

Last edited:

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I managed 36 games in 2019, down just a bit from my average of 40/year, but up significantly from 2018 where I only got in 24 games. I went 24-12 in 2019, while going 6-6 against Randy Shurtz, my most common opponent, as we get together a couple weekends a year. I attended three tourneys, Kansas City (won), Chicago, and St Louis. My favorite, or most memorable scenarios, were Americanskaya Suka, Deutsch Lesson, and Death to Fascism, nothing new or shocking there, as those have been mentioned many times on here.

For 2020, I will attend the Kansas City and St Louis tournaments for sure. I am going to try to attend at least one more, perhaps Texas in June. Not sure if it is practical given my work schedule and weekend availability, but I would like to try the Smith Ridge CG in 2020. The map looks great and the size is not too large. If no CG, perhaps I can push the scenario count to 45 or so.

Last edited:

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've only reached the 100-scenarios played mark this year (total) in my lifetime (15 years of dabbling in/playing ASL). Win rate against all comers around 30%. 2019 was a great year for me with 34 scenarios, all very fun with great opponents.

@Danno I'm impressed at your efforts to learn the Americans. I feel the same way about them and need to play them more.

@Doug Amerikanskaya Suka is one of my favorites for 2019 as well.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
In 2019, I completed 73 games, not including Ortona playtesting. I won 42 of them, or 57%, which is typical for me. My only ASL objectives are to win more than I lose and to do one new-for-me tournament every year. Last year, I went to the Copenhagen tournament for my new tournament. Other events I attended were the Nor'Easter, CASLO 23, Oktoberfest and the NY State ASL Championship. In 2020, I will attend March Madness for my new tournament.

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow, you all are impressive. I only got 16 games in during 2019 but one of those was the Hatten CG and 2 were play tests. I was 6-8 (not counting the play tests) overall which is about normal for me. Only made Nor'easter XXIII in 2019, but I got 2 kids under 5 so I have an excuse. :) Only 1 new opponent for me and my usual FtF opponent, Jim Povey, cleaned my clock as I was 1-5 against him. Goals for 2020: play more ASL but get at least 1 CG in.

MikeS

Daver

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played 28 games this year, winning 20. I was part of Danno's American kryptonite. Dan and I also started Hatten several times trying to work our way my first CG. I also playtested several games and being an active member of the Kansas City ASL Club we play test a lot getting our March Madness Scenario Pack ready for our tournament. I was able to attend two tournaments, March Madness and the Texas Team Tournament, where I was lucky enough to be part of the winning team. I love playing FtF, though I should try VASL this year. I tried to play scenarios this year where I had to learn a new rule...this inspired our pack this coming year of Full Rulebook ASL (spoiler), highlighting a few rules that are not often used, I got pretty adept at night scenarios! I hope to play more in 2020 and having so many great ASL players in the KC area, I should be able to accomplish this goal. Thanks for all the great games.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played 40 scenarios, in line with long-term annual average. 33 W and 7 L, 6 of the latter were on PTO operations. Clearly could do better on that theater, even though three of them were against PTO grandmaster Stan J. Two tournaments (2nd at Saint Louis). Enjoyed Amerikanskaya Suka as quite a few here.Tried a broad range of producers although focused on the safe bets (12 MMP, 10 FrF, Schwerpunkt 6, BFP 4, DftB 3, DTF 2, others 3).

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had a total of 9 complete ASL games in 2019, which is high-average for me. There were 2 more that continued into 2019 from the previous year, and 4 that were ongoing as of the end of the year (1 has finished since then). That's 12 games in whole or in part in 2019 that I have an outcome for.

Discounting games against my normal nemesis, Patch, I was 6-1. Against Patch, I was 0-5. Overall, I was batting .500, which is better than I'd thought.

My closest games in that dozen were against Patch:
AP53 Far From Home
J123 Charging Chaumont

JAGgamer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Twenty-two scenarios completed in 2019, not including my Hatten CG days (x2.5 of 5 for CG 1). Hatten is a fantastic first CG, in my opinion.

I won 6 games which surprised me when I went to look at my record. It feels like I won, maybe, two! I have great, regular opponents who are patient about my schedule. I'll try to get to 20 games this year.

GOALS: Finish Hatten. Complete 20 scenarios this year. Start Sand & Blood OR a Red Factories CG.