2018 Winter Offensive, Round 5: Retaking Kharkov

J. R. Tracy

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Despite my early stumble, I was still in good shape in the main event and next faced Bill Cirillo for what amounted to a semifinal for the coveted WO title. We decided to try something new to both of us, with combined arms on both sides, and this SP title fit the bill.

Opponent

Bill Cirillo, my Germans vs his Soviets

Situation

A strong Soviet force of ten elite squads, a 57LL ATG, and four KVs defends the outskirts of Kharkov (half each of boards 49 and 71) against attacking SS with 13 548s, three early Tigers, and three PzIIINs; the Reds win by having unbroken infantry in either a stone building adjacent to the railroad (overlay) or in 49D8 building, a factory by SSR.

Cautious approach

Plan

There was better cover on my left, so I went heavy there and in center, with an SPW loaded with a 548 sweeping wide right, supported by a couple halfsquads. I planned to keep armor a little back and hulldown until the ATG was identified. I would sweep toward 49D8 from the left after clearing the Soviets from the 71G3 area, using the SPW crew and squad to cut routs from the backside.

Early Going

Bill was strong in the center 49K9 building, but I blew straight through it and cleared the approaches on the left as well. One IIIN suffered immobilization from the ATR but it was in a good spot to support the center. My SPW unloaded my passengers without an issue, and I was nicely established at the railroad line.

I'm not bitter

Uh-Oh!

Two of my Tigers broke their MAs on their very first shots. I then rolled them up as machinegun platforms to contest the defenses around 71G3, though sadly both were immobilized by KVs.

Big Moment

One Tiger repaired its MA, making the fight for the 71G3 building interesting, but it dudded the only hit it scored against the 71F2 KV. That KV stymied everything I threw at it until my flamethrower team ran upstairs, leaned out a window, and squirted flaming gel into an open hatch from two hexes away.

Prepping the objective

Endgame

I surrounded the factory after blanketing the front in smoke. Bill dropped back into the interior, down to just a couple squads and two KVs. My mobile Tiger came around and killed one KV with its first shot of the game before breaking its MA on its second. I stormed in with a 3:2(-1) CC versus a fanatic 628 but rolled boxcars! The 628 exfiltrated to join the leader and heavy MG, dealing death to its tormenters with snake eyes in the last Soviet Prep Fire phase. After all that, I still managed to get into close combat with the remaining infantry – I won the first, and had a 2:1(+1) against the second, but alas it was not to be. I rolled an eight, and Bill wins it.

Lessons Learned

Rolling a six on a repair roll on an immobilized tank forces abandonment, and the crew can’t reenter the vehicle!

Still anyone's game

Things I’d Do Differently

After deploying a couple extra squads I lost track of them and misused them in a couple spots – also, I blew the placement of my FT in the final factory attack, missing a chance to use it in the last Soviet player turn

Scenario Impressions

This is a neat scenario, with chunky forces but not a lot of time. It’s a killer SS order of battle but they face very tough VCs. I love the inclusion of the KV-1S – it has weaker armor than a T-34 but with a fast turret and the ability to fire CE, it is much more effective deployed in buildings.

I had a blast playing Bill, with big luck swings each way and plenty of drama. He went on to win the final for a well-deserved title and the continuation of a Pleva-esque string of victories. Great event as always - thanks again to MMP for another fun weekend!

Last edited:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played that scenario last week, I was the Russians and all I did was stuff the factory with my armor and squads with a few pickets to represent the usual speed bumps. We both thought of the scenario as gawd awful boring and stuck a fork in it on turn 3. It truly is a typical SP scenario, run and gun and there is no such thing as prep fire in an SP scenario since you only have 6 turns to clear out the Russians. I like some tactics and maneuver with the scenarios that I play, I hate the blind rush to the finish line type of scenarios, they too me are just not fun to play.

J. R. Tracy

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played that scenario last week, I was the Russians and all I did was stuff the factory with my armor and squads with a few pickets to represent the usual speed bumps. We both thought of the scenario as gawd awful boring and stuck a fork in it on turn 3. It truly is a typical SP scenario, run and gun and there is no such thing as prep fire in an SP scenario since you only have 6 turns to clear out the Russians. I like some tactics and maneuver with the scenarios that I play, I hate the blind rush to the finish line type of scenarios, they too me are just not fun to play.
I obviously enjoyed it more than you did but I agree, it's typical SP run 'n gun. I don't think I ever Prep'd with more than a couple units any given turn.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am just not a fan of alamo scenario designs where every piece in the OB has to pile on two or three hexes. When designers say take three buildings plus they have to control building X, that right there is a recipe for an alamo scenario. When we played it, my opponent had reached the factory on turn 3 and thus had three turns more to clear it out, after a few moments we decided lets play Red Barricades and call it a day on Retaking Kharkov lol.

Scott

I obviously enjoyed it more than you did but I agree, it's typical SP run 'n gun. I don't think I ever Prep'd with more than a couple units any given turn.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This would be the scenario that Bill called the highlight of his Winter Offensive. I think he was referring to his opponent.

J. R. Tracy

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I never knew that... Can you give a reference?
From D5.341 (Recall):

A bogged/immobilized Recalled AFV must be Abandoned instead; its crew is no longer obliged to leave the board, but may not re-crew that AFV.

Surprised me too - I thought repair rolls were essentially freebies once you lost a track.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Ah, of course... :facepalm:

Somehow I misinterpreted your post reading into it that sucessfully repairing the MA of an immobilized tank would cause Abandonment.

Senior moment [cough, cough].

von Marwitz

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the AAR's J.R.

Nicely put together and informative.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
That might be the first time that I have seen Bill play a match on normal size boards.

J. R. Tracy

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JR, where did the 57LL end up? Thanks for the great ARs!
Brian, it popped up on the second to last turn in 49C9 and didn't do much. We talked about it after and agreed if you put it on the back side of the factory it should be in C10 where it has a non-HD shot at D10. D10 is hulldown to the three locations in the back of the factory and therefore a prime spot for a Tiger. Alternatively, right up front in F8 takes care of any standoff PzIIINs chucking smoke down the road, and threatens attacking panzergrenadiers as well. You lose the surprise factor since it will likely pop up early but you should get good mileage out of it until the crew goes down.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Alternatively, right up front in F8 takes care of any standoff PzIIINs chucking smoke down the road, and threatens attacking panzergrenadiers as well. You lose the surprise factor since it will likely pop up early but you should get good mileage out of it until the crew goes down.
I like F8, too, to prevent that PzIIIn putting smoke down as yours did. It's a very nice weapon, even just for DI attempts. I think the APCR depletion # is pretty good too due to the guards status. Anyway, I played the scenario and thought it a bit pro-Russian, so when you didn't mention the ATG doing anything I thought maybe that was the difference. It seemed to me that when ever I got the chance to shoot a KV, it ran away, and I couldn't get anything lined up for long under the tigers' guns, and then got hit with DI a bunch of times.

J. R. Tracy

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's a very nice weapon, even just for DI attempts. I think the APCR depletion # is pretty good too due to the guards status.
Agreed, and that APCR TK# is no joke, especially at close range - the Tigers have to show it a little respect.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice AAR!

Also played and lost as the Germans as malf'd one Tiger MA, boxed another Tiger's startup roll. The 57LL in the factory looking down the road caused the first Tiger casualty; I didn't appreciate its APCR kill, nor anticipate its location.

Made the factory, captured the Russian heavy, but the last factory 628/lmg/8-1 broke two squads, a 127 and a 228 with adjacent spray fire on their last Prep Fire, effectively ending the game.

Enjoyed the scenario, but do see Scott's point that it will come down to a factory fur fight each time.

Rich

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Enjoyed the scenario, but do see Scott's point that it will come down to a factory fur fight each time.
Scenarios with factories in them seem to tend to end up that way, which is strange as they are harder to defend than a regular multi hex building [exc: rowhouses]