2018 Winter Offensive, Round 4: Forest Brothers

J. R. Tracy

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Final round of the mini! I'd already played the third scenario in the event (Death on the French Coast) so we opted for one of the scenarios from the other mini, which were surprisingly meaty despite the small playing area.

Opponent

Phil Palmer, my NKVD vs his Lithuanians

Situation

Hardy Partisans defend a hilltop in the pine forest of Lithuania; the NKVD must clear the hilltop while amassing more CVPs than the Partisans. The Lithuanians are represented by Finnish counters, while the NKVD are 628s/328s with three Commissars and a light tank. The Partisans may exit ‘behind’ the NKVD without counting for CVP.

Winning hearts and minds

Plan

I planned to attack from three sides, grind my way up the slopes, and maintain a cordon to prevent any defenders from escaping to exit. I was counting on the NKVD/Commissar autorally combination to keep my boys massed at the point of attack.

Early Going

I started off doing Phil's dirty work for him by boxing out a few halfsquads on morale checks and rally attempts. Meanwhile, Phil always seemed to find a handy tree to hide behind every time I took a shot. However, I made progress up the hill, with enough good order units to maintain pressure on all three fronts.

Welcomed with open arms

Uh-Oh!

I felt I was really making some progress when I smacked a 648 with a well timed snake eyes, but in a continuation of a disturbing trend, Phil replied with snakes of his own, yielding a battle hardening and a 149.

Big Moment

A squeaky LOS allowed my mortar to rip into a key hex, killing 1.5 squads and wounding the freshly minted partisan hero.

Tightening the noose

Endgame

My AFV crashed into a hex full of Partisans, allowing my infantry to advance on either side. Phil combined his hero with his -1 leader and the squad manning the HMG, and dealt 12(-1) attacks left and right. When the stack finally broke, the defense was compromised, and Phil couldn't summon the storm of threes he needed to save the day.

Lessons Learned

I learned a lot about double crests!

Preparing for the last stand

Things I’d Do Differently

I liked my attack but I didn’t place my commissars as effectively as I should’ve, given the terrain and proximity of the defenders.

Scenario Impressions

I love the combination of the gnarly board (double crest lines, etc) and the pine forests (1.5 so you can advance uphill without going CX). I also like the exit option for the Partisans - it keeps the NKVD player honest and could be an objective from the get-go, using HIP units to set fatal traps and fleeing the board before the NKVD can catch up. The NKVD are a little too tough in the version we played, however, and by taking prisoners I was able to rack up beaucoup CVP. The latter was made N/A by SSR as a result, and the NKVD were trimmed a bit for the next round of testing.

3-0 and winner of the mini, along with a nifty dice glass; 3-0 in the main event as well, 3-1 overall.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Too late for me to have trimmed the OB as I was the Lithuanians Thursday night! Note to self, second year in a row I started off losing a playtest scenario at W.O. only to to have it modified later at no benefit to me. In other words, avoid the playtest next year.

J. R. Tracy

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Too late for me to have trimmed the OB as I was the Lithuanians Thursday night! Note to self, second year in a row I started off losing a playtest scenario at W.O. only to to have it modified later at no benefit to me.
Ouch! I hear ya - I diced for sides throughout and ended up with the favored side each time, even in the one I lost. As the NKVD, I never felt short of bodies, even though Phil was breaking my guys left and right and I was shooting a few myself for good measure. After our game, I believe they went from three to two Commissars and removed at least one 628, and made double CVP for Prisoners N/A.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Too late for me to have trimmed the OB as I was the Lithuanians Thursday night! Note to self, second year in a row I started off losing a playtest scenario at W.O. only to to have it modified later at no benefit to me. In other words, avoid the playtest next year.
Good thing the loss didn't count. ;)

Although at our age, time _is_ of the essence. ;)

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Good thing the loss didn't count. ;)

Although at our age, time _is_ of the essence. ;)
At my age I should have taken a second look at the scenario and remembered the booby traps, a real boo-boo from a boob!

plpalmerdvm

Reaction score
Country
ll
I also like the exit option for the Partisans - it keeps the NKVD player honest and could be an objective from the get-go said:
This is a game where I thought I had the upperhand---until the MTR ROF tear. Serves me right for leaving a stack in potential LOS, but 1) the LOS was questionable and 2) I would have NAMd a squad out of there to avoid it so took the safe rout. At one point I was way up on CVP (something like 11:5) and should have considered moving offboard with units, but was too focused on killing more NKVD. Still a fun game and my Lithuanians held on tougher than I thought they would vs all of those Russians. Thanks for the game, JR, it was a fun one!

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
I am interested in that particular map and scenario layout.
Any way to get a copy?

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Chas,

It looks like an interesting concept for a "Beer & Pretzels" type of quickie scenario.

Steve