Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Second round of the 'big' mini!

Opponent

Ron Duinskie, my Soviets vs his Finns

Situation

This was a city fight in Karelia in the Winter War, using boards 22 and 49. The Soviets occupy the middle of the map with 18 squads plus support weapons, along with two BA-6s, while two groups of a dozen Finnish squads each set up in opposite corners, armed to the teeth with LMGs and Lahti ATRs. The Finns receive armor support in the form of a 76-armed Postijuna with an FT-armed OT-133 sidekick. The Soviets get two mid-game reinforcement groups with a pair of T-26s each and more infantry. Entry order and location (a road hex on three of the four board edges) has to be pre-designated. The Finns have to score four VPs – four buildings are worth one each, while a fifth is worth two.

Finnish mob #1

Plan

My stupid plan was to defend everything. Good job, JR, way to think things through. I blame Six Points Brewery.

Early Going

Not surprisingly, Ron rolled right over my pickets, blew up both ACs, and generally has his way with me, taking one building quickly and rapidly gaining entry into a second. My first batch of reinforcements entered near the two point building which needed no help, since the thrust of Ron’s attack was elsewhere.

Finnish mob #2

Big Moment

Ron stopped his armor platoon at the end of its turn of entry so the 76 could take a shot. On turn two, he boxcarred the Mechanical Reliability roll, randomly selecting the OT-133 – yikes!

Uh-Oh!

Despite the mission kill of the flame tank, Ron was making good progress. I rolled a 2MC against an 838 which merely rendered it fanatic and added a hero to the mix, just as it was approaching the fourth VP building. My 9-2 was nearby but out of position due to a bonehead move on my part earlier.

Already in trouble

Endgame

Both of my reinforcing groups were counterattacking a building defended by three Finnish squads, but Ron had plans of his own. His 10-1 advanced with the fanatic 838 into the fourth VP building, defended by a lonely 447. In my ensuing Prep Fire phase, I tried an 8(+2) shot, got a 2MC, and Ron followed with a 9 and 8 in succession. With my 9-2 leading a platoon on the doorstep and the other building at risk, Ron conceded.

Lessons Learned

With the release of HP, Finns no longer have distinct abilities depending on whether they're inside or outside of Finland! You'd think I would have noticed that when I proofed the rules.

Precipice of defeat

Things I’d Do Differently

Not defend everything! Instead of putting pickets in front of the VP buildings, I should’ve used three of the VP buildings themselves as pickets, and focused my defense on the two point VP building and its closest neighbor.

Scenario Impressions

I really enjoyed this one – it’s very big, with 20+ squads a side plus AFVs, but it plays quickly. I like the initial setup and the pre-designation of reinforcements, plus the force mix on each side. Prior to WO, testing showed the Finns winning, but they were dialed back a bit for our game. I think it’s close to even as it stands, though a healthy dose of well-timed 3s certainly doesn’t hurt the Soviet cause.

2-0 in the mini, 2-0 in the main event, 2-1 overall.

Last edited:

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
This is a longish scenario and I played the original version with Mika (a real Finn by heritage) all day Saturday. I tried to defend everything also and fell apart finally on turn six of seven. I could not stop the 10-1 and a 6-2-8 from storming through the two point building with the FT tank burning up any units rallying with my commissar. I did take out the 76* tank early with my
AC but could not get a good shot off on the FT tank malfunctioning my MA's that never repaired on the reinforcing tanks. So again, I got the wrong side but I wanted the Russians (my heritage in part).

plpalmerdvm

Reaction score
Country
ll
I also played this at WO and enjoyed it very much. I had the defending Ruskies and held onto the 2-point VC building and one other (centrally). The Finns certainly are able to have their way with those Russian 447s, esp when supported by that flame tank. I was aided by an major result on a big moving stack on the first turn of the game and the big building was never really threatened, allowing me to shift some forces southward. I really liked the setup and flow of this game and look forward to playing it again (as either side).