2018 ASL OPEN Results

David Goldman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Before noon, by virtue of a mistimed airline flight, Nathan Stapf had to concede to Bret Hildebran (6-0) for the 2018 ASL OPEN Championship. Bret has repeated as the ASL OPEN Champion for the third year in a row.

Congratulations to Bret who made it look almost too easy starting and staying as the number 1 seed and always matched up against the best.

Second place and Third place with 5-1 records went respectively to Doug Kirk and to Rich Spilky.

This year a disappointing 39 players attended. It was a perfect storm of personal and work commitments that kept more than 6 regulars from attending. Nevertheless it was a great tournament and a pleasure to run. No matches were adjudicated and every round started on time, as usual.

Next year we have April 11-14 already reserved so mark your calendars now!

I'll post more complete results later.

David Goldman

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Congrats to Bret, Doug & Rich, as well to Nate for an outstanding tournament show. This will make at least two Championship matches by Bret against an opponent that failed to make the top three in the final tally (points are a bugger some times), always a tough venue but an enjoyable trip. Looking forward to publication of the final tally for both players & scenarios, sorry I couldn't make it this year.:nod::cool:

David Goldman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also congratulations to mini tournament winners John McDiarmid and Dusty Morris.

The mini tournament is single elimination one round on Friday evening and the two Saturday rounds.

Thanks to Bounding Fire Productions and to Alex Key for their generous donations of raffle prizes.

David Goldman

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Awesome Tourney Dave, glad I was there to play some great guys and good scenarios. See ya next year.

Scott

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Congrats to Bret on the 3-peat, especially since he beat #2 Doug Kirby on the way to victory. Glad to see that that round 4 match of undefeateds wound up determining Champ and Runner-up.

Congrats to Doug for beating all non-Bret opponents. No mean feat.

Congrats to Nathan for another great tournament. After Winter Offensive and The Open, he can hardly be considered a dark horse anymore.

I look forward to getting back to The Open someday soon.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
David,

Thanks for another well run tourney. Had a good time.

Seemed like the players had a more collegial time, possibily due to the two rounds per day.

Both the hotel room and breakfast were excellent.

Rich

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Meant to thank you in person; missed doing it. I know how much effort it takes to put on a tournament, so I want you to know I appreciate it.

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL is hard. Jeff didn't get me childrens menu for the trip home. Otherwise a superior weekend.

See you next year....

David Goldman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My thanks to all who attended.

My thanks to all who have posted kind comments.

I am already looking forward to next year's OPEN. I note that there were no "issues" amongst the 38 attendees. This was the smoothest tournament yet. Not a single game had to be adjudicated. Not a single rules dispute.

I'd like to see some of our east and west and southern coast ASLers attend. I have tried to make this tournament highly competitive but still relaxed. Come on out next year, I can practically guarantee you'll have a great ASL time.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This year a disappointing 39 players attended. It was a perfect storm of personal and work commitments that kept more than 6 regulars from attending. Nevertheless it was a great tournament and a pleasure to run. No matches were adjudicated and every round started on time, as usual.
The reason as to why the attendance was low I think, was due mainly to the scenarios on the list. Many were bug hunts or alamo type scenarios where your whole OB has to pile on one or two hexes. Each round had very few good choices so most people were stuck playing the same scenario as the next guy. Having tpm scenarios is not a bad thing, but having to scrounge for that particular TPM map or counter was a bit of a pain since I dont buy alot of TPP stuff anymore. If you need help picking scenarios for next years list, I would be more then happy to lend a hand. Anyway Dave, thanks once more for running a smooth tourney much appreciated.

Scott

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The reason as to why the attendance was low I think, was due mainly to the scenarios on the list. Many were bug hunts or alamo type scenarios where your whole OB has to pile on one or two hexes. Each round had very few good choices so most people were stuck playing the same scenario as the next guy. Having tpm scenarios is not a bad thing, but having to scrounge for that particular TPM map or counter was a bit of a pain since I dont buy alot of TPP stuff anymore. If you need help picking scenarios for next years list, I would be more then happy to lend a hand. Anyway Dave, thanks once more for running a smooth tourney much appreciated.

Scott
Scott, my brother and my attendance had nothing to do with the scenario choices. He never even saw them, I saw them and don't have 90% of them so had no thoughts on the matter.
I come to the Open or ASLOK for the people! Even you Herr Holst!

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Totally understand but I am just echoing what people told me. Trying to come up with a decent scenario list is tough, especially when alot of the newer scenarios dont seem to get enough playtesting or are poorly playtested. But there is still alot of good stuff out there, you just have to dig a little deeper in your scenario collection to find it lol.

Scott, my brother and my attendance had nothing to do with the scenario choices. He never even saw them, I saw them and don't have 90% of them so had no thoughts on the matter.
I come to the Open or ASLOK for the people! Even you Herr Holst!

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As is evidenced by the Winter War playlists (which I understand you select, scott) you would be the furthest choice to select lists. Although I would agree that this year's Open list wasn't best for balanced scenarios, with the alternate rounds, I thought there were plenty of tasty, balanced choices. Attendance had nothing to do with the list, as Dave pointed out, there were conflicting factors, such as the NOreaster being the same weekend and player work schedules. Your list at winter war drew three players.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What was wrong with the Winter War list? Sorry you thought the WW list sucked, I tried to keep it where people did not have to lug around a steamer trunk of ASL gear but obviously that did not work. So one year out of the last 5 or 6 years doing the list was bad but the years prior they have been excellent. It truly is a herculean effort to come up with a good set of scenarios that is for sure.

As is evidenced by the Winter War playlists (which I understand you select, scott) you would be the furthest choice to select lists. Although I would agree that this year's Open list wasn't best for balanced scenarios, with the alternate rounds, I thought there were plenty of tasty, balanced choices. Attendance had nothing to do with the list, as Dave pointed out, there were conflicting factors, such as the NOreaster being the same weekend and player work schedules. Your list at winter war drew three players.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It truly is a herculean effort to come up with a good set of scenarios that is for sure.
Yes it is, and it is usually a thankless task that results in much bitching, moaning, and general ill will by people who have never done it before (and some who have). You have to have a thick skin to be a TD.