2017 Texas Team Tournament, June 22-25, Austin, TX

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We are celebrating our 25th anniversary this year!

The 2017 edition of the Texas Team Tournament is gearing up for another great time! We are now up to 25 consecutive years of some of the best ASL times around.

We're just over 4 short months out, so with the start of the new year it is time to get that vacation time set aside and plan on making that trek to Austin the end of June. As always, we're the weekend after Father's Day, so we've made it easy to decide on a Father's Day gift this year!

We are planning various activities over the course of the weekend. Last year we had several guys hit the beaches of Omaha East/West using the streamlined rules that John Hyler and Co. developed. It was definitely a sight to behold. I'll have some big scenario going on Thursday, per usual, as well as the ever popular Ferocity Fest. So this will do a very nice job of filling up your Thursday with some great action. We'll feature things for guys interested in SK, and you never know what playtest mini will be out there.

Now to the formalities:

Ours is an open tournament, so come play what you want, how much you want, with whom you want. Feel like trying that monster scenario? Here's your chance to immerse yourself in it for up to 4 days straight if you can handle it. Last year we had players fighting it out on the beaches of Normandy all weekend. Stay Tuned!

So on to the formalities...

Texas ASL is proud to present:
The 25th Annual Texas Team Tournament
Austin, TX June 22-25, 2017

Thursday 9am - Sunday 8pm

The Texas Team Tournament returns to our previous terrific venue. We are at the Wingate by Wyndam Conference Center in Round Rock in far north Austin.

1209 North I-35
Round Rock, TX 78664
Phone: (512)341-7000
Fax: (512)341-7011

4-Day Registration $36
3-Day (Fri-Sun) Registration $31
Saturday Only Registration $21
Room Rates (tax not incl): $89
You will need to contact the hotel directly to reserve your room.
Make sure to mention you are associated with the "Texas ASL Club" to get the reduced room rate

Texas' Largest and Longest running ASL Tournament brings four full days of ASL nirvanna kicking off with a Thursday start.

Thursday will be an open gaming day and will not count towards the tournament standings. As always, Thursday games count towards the coveted Major Johnson award. Games related to the official tournament standings start Friday morning at 9AM.

For those looking for a little different head-on-head action, The ASL Team Tournament is pleased to announce our ever popular Thursday/Friday mini- tournament: Ferocity Fest. We'll also be sponsoring an ASLSK mini-tourney on Saturday, as well. ASLSK interest has been increasing every year, which is a great sign.

Remember to Pre-Register -- Besides you never know what goodies you might find in your pre-registration packet.

All the tournament details and more can be found at our Texas ASL website . Just follow the tournament links.

Rick

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
June 22nd, I seem to recall that date has some significance. :rolleyes:
You mean besides the start date of this tournament? Hmmm, there could be that little fracas in 1941 between the Germany and Soviet Union (Barbasol, Barabbas, Barnabas, Barbarossa, something like that...) or the day French threw in the towel in 1940 and became the butt of jokes ever since?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wasn't there a little battle on the Eastern Front in 1944 as well? Seem to remember hearing something that said the Germans may have gotten the poorer end of that one, Operation Brag-about-it or something to that effect.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
I am looking for a roommate for this tournament. Volunteers? I neither snore nor smoke. Even better, no arrest record. Reply here or PM. Ray

fanatic+1

Ryan Kent
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ray already found his roommate. I too am looking for a roommate. I already booked the room. I don't snore and practice good hygiene.

Ryan Kent

Last edited:

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've select the featured big scenario for Thursday. I like to choose a scenario that will engage multiple (3-4) players and take folks the better part of the day to play. Give folks a chance to try a scenario that they might not otherwise play with the fun that comes from multiple opponents/teammates. This year we're featuring Crisis at Kasserine [DftB007] from Dispatches #4. This has a little something for everyone and should be blast. Think Hill 621 in North Africa. In this instance you have a combined German/Italian force trying to take the high ground from the Americans. It's played on desert boards, but without all the desert rules. Both sides get a substantial set of forces, there's assault engineers, DCs, FTs, OBA (regular and rocket), minefields, early war AFVs, and long-range shots through the mist. While 11.5 turns, it should play fairly quick as a number of turns will be spent covering a lot of (open) ground. This is certainly ideal for 3 players and could handle a 4th by splitting up the American force. If you are interested in getting in on this, let me know at ctasl at aol dot com.

And don't feel that if you do this that you can't also participate in Ferocity Fest. Not to worry. FF will be available all day Thursday and Friday, so there's no reason not to do both! You just need to be wrapped up with FF by the time I present the awards on Saturday afternoon.

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rick,
It was such a pleasure playing you in Kansas City, I have decided to commit to Texas. Will be pre-regging by this weekend. I will be looking for a roommate also, so anyone interested can hit me up in the conversation box. Looking forward to seeing the Texas crowd without the homefield advantage of ASLOK.
Dave

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rick,
It was such a pleasure playing you in Kansas City, I have decided to commit to Texas. Will be pre-regging by this weekend. I will be looking for a roommate also, so anyone interested can hit me up in the conversation box. Looking forward to seeing the Texas crowd without the homefield advantage of ASLOK.
Dave
Hey Dave,

Save me a game in Texas. It been three tournaments (St. Louis, KC and Chicago) we have been to together and still no game. We can play in Texas.

Danno

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rick,
Dave
Fantastic, Dave! Looking forward to seeing you again. Note Ryan Kent's request a couple of posts above for a roommate. Not sure if he is still looking or not.

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ryan,
I would be more than pleased to share a room with you. Are you booking, or should I? Let me know. If you want me to book, I can do it as soon as I hear from you.

Dan,
Would love to get a game in with you. The past three tourneys, you can blame Goldman, Burris, oh, and a guy named Best!!!! I'll see you in June!!!!

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Do I stay or do I go. hmmmmmmm. It is a long ride from the airport to the hotel. Bring a GPS if you can and plan on renting a car. -- jim

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have further details on Ferocity Fest for this year. For those unaware, FF occurs throughout Thursday and Friday of the tournament. You just need to be finished playing by the time I announce the winner on Saturday afternoon. While you are playing against an opponent, it's really you against all of the other folks playing the same side of the scenario. The person of each side with the largest number of points is the winner of that side. Hence an Allied and Axis winner of this one. In any case, it's not a matter of simply winning the scenario that counts, it's playing the scenario with style; and I give you lots of chances to score points in FF, with the availability of hand-to-hand combat, flamethrowers, tanks, DCs, you name it. There will be lots of ways to win it, but the only way is to just have fun and be ruthless.

Since we are celebrating our silver anniversary this year, I thought we'd try something different. So with that, after a couple of years in Europe, this year we are headed to the Pacific, to the island of Tarawa, specifically. Ferocity Fest will feature BFP-49 "Just a Drive Along the Beach". This will give folks a taste of the brutal fight that was Tarawa, without all of the beach landing rules, and at a manageable size and length to boot. I'll provide the map for play, as well as all of the rules from BRT that are applicable (they fit on a page, so it's not bad at all). So you just need your counters (Japs and Marines) and some fortitude.

No need to sign up ahead of time. Just show up, find an opponent and get to playing.

Rick

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Ferocity Fest is just another of those ways EVERYONE has a chance to win something at the Team Tournament. You don't have to win the scenario to win Ferocity Fest. If you don't play with style, winning the scenario won't earn to you Ferocity Fest title either. -- jim

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just a heads up that the rate on our room block at the hotel ends a month from today. Make sure to make those plans, get that room reserved, and make the trek to Austin next month and enjoy 4 days of ASL.

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Passed my TC and look forward to attending! Be good to meet the Texas crew.
Paul

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sweet! Glad you'll be making down to Texas, Paul.

For folks on the fence, our room rate for the tourney ends in about 2 weeks, and my pre-reg window closes about the same time. I've gotta get all of the swag finished up for pre-registrants. Final date is June 8th, so don't delay.

For a condensed schedule of activities, I've got the following planned for folks to participate in at their leisure.
Thursday -Open play, Ferocity Fest and our featured big scenario. We already have 2 people lined up for the featured big scenario play (Mike Denson and Will Willow), just need one more to fill out the first game.
Friday - Open Play, Ferocity Fest. May even get a playtest mini in this day as well.
Saturday - Open Play, Starter Kit mini, Individual Championship bracket play, Squad Bleeder mini. We'll do a BFP playtest mini for sure, and if Pete ever decides to show up again ;) we'll playtest his stuff as well. Of course Sat afternoon is also the drawing for all of the sponsorship products that our sponsors do such a fantastic job helping us out with.
Sunday - Open Play, wrap up the Individual Championship bracket.

I've got a couple of surprises lined up as well for everyone, as well.

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We've got 3 folks lined up for play of Crisis as Kasserine (Will Willow, Greg Schmittgens, Mike Denson). If more folks are interested we'll start up a second game or split the American forces depending on how many more are interested. Let me know!

Our sponsors, as always have gone above and beyond, and I have a ton of great products to give away this year. Join us for the weekend and don't miss out.