Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Scenario Design Contest

Salerno to Cassino (http://www.history.army.mil/catalog/pubs/6/6-3.html) is the sole reference and research source for the battle upon which to base the scenario design. Any other people wishing to enter before the official start of the contest must choose a battle and use only the information from that source about the battle. The scenario must include use of another rule section from Chapter E: Miscellaneous besides E3.0 Weather. Those rules are for night, interrogation, ski troops, boats, swimming, air support, gliders, paratroop landings, ammo vehicles, convoys, and/or barrage. The designs are limited to official MMP published boards and overlays but exclude HASL maps. The contest officially starts September 8, 2017 at 6pm US central time. No new contestants will be accepted after that deadline.

When the contest starts, design your scenario and include designer notes (ideal of the design, reason for chooses (counters, etc. ), etc.) and cite the source (page number, and initial paragraph sentence of the battle you are basing the scenario). Contestants have two months to design the scenario, probably should include some initial play tests by the designer and a couple of friends to catch any major oversights or flaws of the design. Once submitted to me, I will cleanse them of name, assign an ID number, then forward them to the judge, Pete Shelling, who will review them. The two month judging period starts once Pete has all of the entries. After his initial review (a few days, maybe a week), he might need some clarifications or offer suggested changes. I return the initial submissions for said changes/clarifications. Over a few days, maybe a week, the designer makes the changes and re-submits his corrected, final version. Again I cleanse them of name and forward them to Pete. Over the remainder of the two month judging period, he and some of friends will do some play tests of the scenarios and determine the rank of the submitted scenarios. He should return the scenarios with a rank and judges' comments. Once returned to me, I will create a pdf file of the three scenarios, source citations, design notes, judge notes, etc. publish them online (maybe on the ASL scenario archive). After that I will mail the prizes to the winners.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Kevin Conley joined the contest via Facebook. So now there are four. :D

tunixx

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I'm in.

Scenario Design Contest

Salerno to Cassino (http://www.history.army.mil/catalog/pubs/6/6-3.html) is the sole reference and research source for the battle upon which to base the scenario design. Any other people wishing to enter before the official start of the contest must choose a battle and use only the information from that source about the battle. The scenario must include use of another rule section from Chapter E: Miscellaneous besides E3.0 Weather. Those rules are for night, interrogation, ski troops, boats, swimming, air support, gliders, paratroop landings, ammo vehicles, convoys, and/or barrage. The designs are limited to official MMP published boards and overlays but exclude HASL maps. The contest officially starts September 8, 2017 at 6pm US central time. No new contestants will be accepted after that deadline.

When the contest starts, design your scenario and include designer notes (ideal of the design, reason for chooses (counters, etc. ), etc.) and cite the source (page number, and initial paragraph sentence of the battle you are basing the scenario). Contestants have two months to design the scenario, probably should include some initial play tests by the designer and a couple of friends to catch any major oversights or flaws of the design. Once submitted to me, I will cleanse them of name, assign an ID number, then forward them to the judge, Pete Shelling, who will review them. The two month judging period starts once Pete has all of the entries. After his initial review (a few days, maybe a week), he might need some clarifications or offer suggested changes. I return the initial submissions for said changes/clarifications. Over a few days, maybe a week, the designer makes the changes and re-submits his corrected, final version. Again I cleanse them of name and forward them to Pete. Over the remainder of the two month judging period, he and some of friends will do some play tests of the scenarios and determine the rank of the submitted scenarios. He should return the scenarios with a rank and judges' comments. Once returned to me, I will create a pdf file of the three scenarios, source citations, design notes, judge notes, etc. publish them online (maybe on the ASL scenario archive). After that I will mail the prizes to the winners.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Hey Randy - typically you start with a primary source (Salerno) and use additional sources to fill in the blanks. Sounds like you want Salerno only? I don't care either way but just seeking clarification. Thanks.
Vincent

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Hey Randy - typically you start with a primary source (Salerno) and use additional sources to fill in the blanks. Sounds like you want Salerno only? I don't care either way but just seeking clarification. Thanks.
Vincent
Salerno is the only source of information about the selected battle. If you need to use another source to determine TO&E for a unit in the battle that would be ok as long as you cite the source in your design notes. Some battles have limited information while others have more details. That is part of the challenge of the contest, limited info and resources to create a scenario.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Can it be any battle from that book? Or must it be part of the Salerno operation?
Any battle covered in the book about the campaigns from Salerno to Cassino. Just because the book might mention some operation or battle outside of Italy does not mean that battle is suitable for the contest.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
well, timing actually is not a huge issue for once .. :) In for a penny, in for a pound. sounds like it might be fun, actually. Count me in Randy.

Sept 8th start point so deadline is Nov 7th, 6:00pm CST, for initial submission, correct?

Are we limited to just MMP / official counterset/ Chptr H Notes? How about HASL countersets?

my email for all things asl is witchbottles at gmail dot com.

KRL, Jon H

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
well, timing actually is not a huge issue for once .. :) In for a penny, in for a pound. sounds like it might be fun, actually. Count me in Randy.

Sept 8th start point so deadline is Nov 7th, 6:00pm CST, for initial submission, correct?
Let's make it Friday, Nov. 10th, 6pm, give the designers a few extra days. The 7th to the 10th is that time period where Pete does his initial review and the designers provide clarifications. Would like to have that done by Nov 10th.

we limited to just MMP / official counterset/ Chptr H Notes?
Yes.

How about HASL countersets?
No.

Want to make the scenarios useful to the most players. Not every ASL player has HASLs.

my email for all things asl is witchbottles at gmail dot com.

KRL, Jon H

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
okay I got my idea and initial draft down, this is quite fun, indeed! :) . I should be ready no problems for the deadlines. :) KRL , jon H

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
okay I got my idea and initial draft down, this is quite fun, indeed! :) . I should be ready no problems for the deadlines. :) KRL , jon H
Yes, it is actually. Creation has it's rewards. Hope you (and others) are writing some design notes about reasons for choices made for the design. It provides interesting insight into the design process to see how each designer approaches the problems and their thoughts on solutions. Reading it helps other designers in future designs. :D

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Contestants, there is about one month left to design your entry. Hopefully, most of you are in the playtest stage of your design process. If you have not started the design, do not be discouraged. Even if you are just starting the process, there is still time to design and do some playtests.

I have attached an Entry format. Please use it for your entries.

I look forward to your submissions.

Attachments

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Design complete to playtest stage - initial playtests showed some issues (as most tend to do) - adjustments made, scenario card layout finished, and beginning outside playtesting in two weeks.

:)

KRL, Jon H

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Contestants, there is about one month left to design your entry. Hopefully, most of you are in the playtest stage of your design process. If you have not started the design, do not be discouraged. Even if you are just starting the process, there is still time to design and do some playtests.

I have attached an Entry format. Please use it for your entries.

I look forward to your submissions.
oooh that is so ugly, horrible even, and frankly, messy. - can we not just use a standard MMP style scenario card layout? Black and Red print on white cardstock, some colors for nationalities as VASL artwork is used to prevent any copyright infringement issues, etc. (I already have written permission from Rodney K to use VASL imagery as long as notice is given that is where I got my artwork from).

:)

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
oooh that is so ugly, horrible even, and frankly, messy. - can we not just use a standard MMP style scenario card layout? Black and Red print on white cardstock, some colors for nationalities as VASL artwork is used to prevent any copyright infringement issues, etc. (I already have written permission from Rodney K to use VASL imagery as long as notice is given that is where I got my artwork from).
I did say "Please". You don't have to use the entry format file to be an acceptable submission. It is a reminder of the key points to include for a scenario. If you do not use the entry format file and submit a MMP style scenario card (or other TPP style card layout), you will need to submit an additional page with your book citation and designer's notes on it. A submission without a citation or designer notes is an incomplete entry.

(Editted to add book citation requirement to submission.)

Last edited:

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
On vacation in Italy but too far north for ground recon! Way behind on design.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All finished with the scenario, and the design notes, at this time. ( 10-31-17). I'll try to PM the files to you for submission - if not, perhaps an email address for submissions to be sent to?

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Contestants, we are coming up on the deadline in just over a week. Final deadline is November 10th at 6pm central US time. Please, please try to submit your entries by November 7th so that I can cleanse them of identifying clues before the first reviews by the judges. From November 7th to 10th the judges will be doing initial reviews and might want some last minute clarifications before their playtests begin. Contestants can contact me using the conversation messages on this forum and I can send my email for entry submission. I need both the scenario and designer notes.

Last edited:

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
:hellyes::jig:
I am a happy camper. Entries are being submitted early.
:highfive: