Season kicks off tonite! :coolban:

vs
NYG

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Colour me surprised that the Cowpokes won!
Yep. I can't wait to hear Stephen A Smith "Nostradumbass" cry about this one. He went on and on about how Little Tony Romeo would stink up the joint and the Giants D would dominate this game. Romo hit on 75% of his passes for almost 300 yds and 3 tds.

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
The Kiwi take on NFL, from stuff.co.nz

BANDWAGON TEAMS
As in, you should avoid choosing these teams lest you be accused of jumping on board simply because they are good or popular or, well, any other reason.-

1. New England Patriots
No. Not allowed. You must not and you will not choose the Patriots. They're the Lakers/Crusaders/Manchester United of the NFL. Too good and too popular. And too Tom Brady.

2. Baltimore Ravens
Oh, you've watched The Wire. You're now a Ravens fan. Good luck with that, yo.

3. New Orleans Saints
Probably the best team in football over the last three years. Led by one of the great quarterbacks, Drew Brees. But will carry the stain of disgrace for a long time after being busted for running a bounty system, rewarding players for injuring opposing players.

4. Pittsburgh Steelers
Another of the (boring, defensive-minded) powerhouses. Guided by Ben Roethlisberger, one of the least likeable players in the league.

HOPELESS CASES
Those teams which, for whatever reason, should be avoided.-

5. St Louis Rams
Pity the sports editor who follows the St Louis Rams, the New York Knicks, the Penrith Panthers and Liverpool. The Rams were the hottest ticket in the NFL - the Greatest Show on Turf - at the turn of the century. Now they stink.

6. Cleveland Browns
Hopeless.

7. Miami Dolphins
Probably going to be hopeless.

8. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
New coach, erratic quarterback and a leaky defence. That is NOT the recipe for success in the NFL.

9. Arizona Cardinals
Their starting quarterback is John Skelton. Even I've never heard of him.

10. Oakland Raiders
Try to look scary but they won't do much damage on the field.

11. Jacksonville Jaguars
Not much fight in these pussy cats.

12. Seattle Seahawks
Follow them and you'll be sleepless in . . . sorry.

TEMPTING
Teams which have some redeeming features.-

13. Dallas Cowboys
They call them "America's team". Play in an unbelievably huge stadium with passionate supporters. And everything's better in Texas.

14. Cincinnati Bengals
If only because they've got a fine young quarterback (the glamour position, like rugby's first five-eighth) called Andy Dalton, who looks cool and calm and magnificently ginger.

15. Tennessee Titans
They have another promising young quarterback with another great name: Jake Locker. Plus you can sing that song from Remember The Titans.

16. Kansas City Chiefs
One of their players, Eric Berry, wrote 200 poems and three screenplays while sidelined with injury last season.

17. San Diego Chargers
Led by one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL, Philip Rivers.

18. Denver Broncos
Led by one of the best quarterbacks in HISTORY, the immortal Peyton Manning, beginning his post-Colts career.

19. Carolina Panthers
Again, it's all about the QB. Cam Newton is an excitement machine.

20. Atlanta Falcons
Led by wide receivers (the fast guys who run downfield and catch the ball) Julio Jones and Roddy White. Great names.

21. Detroit Lions
A basket case for years. But have reloaded with some great young talent.

22. Washington Redskins
It's all about RG3. Robert Griffin III, the rookie quarterback, was the No 2 pick in the NFL draft and is a freakishly talented athlete.

23. Minnesota Vikings
Will probably be hopeless this year. But they have a phenomenal mascot. From The Big Lead website: "The dude who plays Ragnar hasn't shaved since he got the job, and before that, shaved with an axe."24. Buffalo BillsYou don't think that's the coolest team nickname in sport?

25. Philadelphia Eagles
Threatening to be quite good. Michael Vick, now his dogfighting days are behind him, is a superstar. If he stays fit, the Eagles will soar.

TAKE YOUR PICK
So, that leaves us with a list of seven teams from which, if you ask me, you should be declaring your NFL allegiance.-

26. Green Bay Packers
Fine, there's a little bit of bandwagonism going on here. The Packers have been very, very good in recent years. They've also got the great history (Vince Lombardi and Brett Favre) and the great story (the team is owned by the community). And in Aaron Rodgers, they have arguably the game's premier quarterback.

27. New York Jets
If only for the drama surrounding back-up quarterback Tim Tebow, the polarising quarterback/preacher who has become an obsession for the American media.

28. Indianapolis Colts
Were absolutely awful last season after Manning's injury. His departure enables Andrew Luck, the No 1 pick in the draft, to immediately step in at quarterback. Luck is rated a once-in-a-generation talent. In a year or three, the Colts will contend.

29. San Francisco 49ers
Looks like they will have a strong season. Though, oddly, they have one of the poorer quarterbacks. Cool nickname and still carry an aura of glamour thanks to the Joe Montana/Steve Young era.

30. Chicago Bears
Nobody seems to like their QB, the enigmatic Jay Cutler. But a team with a glorious past (most players in the Hall of Fame), a tradition of outstanding defence (still led by a phenomenal veteran called Brian Urlacher) and a simple mantra ("BEAR DOWN") is worth considering.

31. New York Giants
Fine, this is outrageously hypocritical. The Giants are the defending Super Bowl champions, so technically you're in bandwagon territory. But they weren't really the best team last season. They are less flashy than the Patriots or the Saints. And I named my son after their star quarterback, Eli Manning. What other reasons do you need?

32. Houston Texans
Could be a really interesting choice. Texas is the home of football, for a start. The Texans have a really good team, but they're under the radar, so you won't get accused of simply picking a favourite. Get in now and maybe bask in the glory in February.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Colour me surprised that the Cowpokes won!

Not me after I saw all the injured players on the NY defense. They were down to their 3rd string cornerback and Romo went after him all night. You put in a regular starter at CB next time and we'll see what happens.

I had no idea the Giants had so many injuries. I took their defense for my fantasy team because of their pass rush, but half their D line is hurt too. I'm trading it after the games are over.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, it has begun.

The Quest to see who survives the "Grid-iron Wars" to arrive at the Superbowl.

Best of luck to EVERY team......

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Screw EVERY team, only MY team matters.....:p

Yup. A good day for me...

Steelers win.

Cowboys lose.
Ravens lose.
Patriots lose (not this year, they have the easiest schedule in a long time).
Raiders lose.

I mostly feel sorry for the Raiders these days, but the bitter rivalry in the 70's has forever made me a Raider Hater.

koffee77

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Me thinks Peyton is going to light up the steelers secondary.

Will be at the Raven's game this Monday night! Look for me, I will be dressed in purple.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Favourite moment for me was when the player walked into the ref and he mouthed "ow."

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the closest games this weekend are going to be......

Green Bay vs Frisco
Minnesota vs Jacksonville
Arizona vs Seahawks
Buffalo vs Jets