2011 the most disappointing EVE Fanfest ever?

What is your overall opinion of EVE Fanfest 2011?

• 10. Awesome! I'm very excited about the changes and new features coming to EVE.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 20.0%

• 5. Average. It was ok, but I was hoping for a lot more.

• 1. Very disappointed. Significant problems being ignored, misguided priorities, little hard informat

• Total voters

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I'm not impressed at all with the live presentations I've sat through so far. It's all seems to be about ideas CCP has that might or might not ever make it into the game. There's been next to nothing on features/fixes that are actually going to make it into EVE in the next year or so.

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1487729

Where's the beef? And $20 for a HD version of the free live stream? That's half the price of a normal game! That's a bad joke, right?

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I actually didn't see any of the live broadcasts. I tuned in once, but they were only showing all the old trailers. I pretty much relied on the end of day press reports.

Truth be told, these "fanfests" aren't really meant to be anything more than feel good parties for dedicated fans, so I never expect the powers that be to reveal any earthshaking developments. That's what their PR firm is for, after all.

Still, from what I read, it seems CCP remains committed to making their game the premier sci-fi experience, which is the important thing. I was a bit surprised, though, that there was no hardcore info on DUST, nor any word of when EvE is going F2P....:)

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I watched the whole thing(just about) LIVE on the free live stream. You only had to pay if you wanted to watch it in HD otherwise it was free. I thought it was a lot of good info and the Chess Boxing was entertaining.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I hate to say this, but in my opinion Fanfest has slowly morphed into something resembling a scam.

One of the primary purposes of a convention like this is to bring gamers and game developers face to face in order to have some direct interaction. In short, it's a great way for gamers to communicate ideas and feedback directly to CCP that don't come across well on a forum or in an email. It's also a great way for CCP to share with the community what is currently being worked on and what may lie ahead. And Fanfest has all of this. There are roundtable discussions, question and answer sessions, and big presentations on upcoming expansions and features. Sounds good so far.

The problem is that over time the presentations have gotten less and less informative and there's less and less interactivity at the "interactive" events. Take the big presentations for example. Instead of sharing specific details about upcoming game fixes and what gamers can expect to see in the next two expansions, the presentations have morphed into high-tech videos of CCP's "vision" of what EVE might eventually be. Unlike past events, these presentations are mostly focused on stuff that isn't close to being done, and in some cases they cover expansions and new features where work hasn't even been started yet! Even worse, a lot of the presentations come with the caveat that "this might not ever make it into the game." Just as disturbing, CCP reps have increasingly fallen into the habit of evading hard questions and giving evasive answers when asked about the core of EVE. And in at least one case the CCP reps failed to even show up at their own roundtable.

What? Let me get this straight. I just paid big bucks to fly halfway around the world to watch a presentation on stuff that isn't being working on and that may never be worked on? Just as disturbing, CCP freely admits almost all of it's resources are tied up developing Incarna (walking in stations) and DUST 514 (a console shooter for Xbox 360). EVE is a spaceship combat simulator/empire builder -- or at least it used to be -- so one might reasonably ask, where's the spaceship content?

The simple answer is that it isn't there. CCP is putting all of its resources into wooing console gamers, casual gamers with little interest in a hardcore space simulator, and people who want The Sims in space. Bottom line: CCP needs to be careful that in wooing the gamers they don't already have that they don't completely alienate the existing player base. And it seems they're well on their way to doing exactly that. And player after player has told them as much but CCP seems oblivious. They want walking in stations and shiny new avatars and to hell with the fact that half of EVE Online has been completely broken for years. The clear intent is to keep bolting on new stuff every six months so the marketing department has cool new material to work with, even if half the new content is broken on delivery or destroys existing features.

But hey, the CCP devs are available at Fanfest to get drunk with. And there's the problem. CCP is being run like a frat house instead of serious game development house.

Chaim628

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
Although I'm not in the least interested in walking in stations or Dust (as console) and rather see some tangible work on lag and some new shiptypes not all is feasible in a fanfest setting. Some of the streams were informative and the chess boxing was fun. Corpmembers who went had mixed views but overall they were rather positive, if mostly because of the social happening. The Eve crowd is hard to please :D

MacGregor

Reaction score
I've become sorely disappointed in EVE. I have a sub that runs out in May. Have not played for three months. Nothing of substance has come out in quite some time. Over a year I'd say. It's all been eye crap that hasn't much to do with the game. The big, Planetary Interation (said in an echo chamber) was a huge joke. What a let down. I may never go back. But then I've been playing off and on (more on than off) since December 02. Probably time to move on anyway.

Maybe I'll play Dust if it ever comes out. It's F2P and blowing up stuff that belongs to a paying EVE customer sound like a hoot. lol.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually PI has been great for our Corp. We had to buy and haul the POS fuel in from Empire every month for like 90 POSes. Now we can get it all from planets in our systems, our Corp members farm it and sell it to Corp so we both benefit from it.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Actually PI has been great for our Corp. We had to buy and haul the POS fuel in from Empire every month for like 90 POSes. Now we can get it all from planets in our systems, our Corp members farm it and sell it to Corp so we both benefit from it.
Looking at PI purely as a logistics tool, it't fair to say it has been a positive addition to the game. But from a gameplay point of view, it's about as fun as uploading files with an FTP utility. Horrible game design.