Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The 2010 Canadian ASL Open will be held in Ottawa, Ontario on the dates September 17-18-19. For the non-Canadians reading this, Ottawa is the capital of Canada and a major tourist destination. Many national museums are located in Ottawa and the city has a large, pedestrian-friendly, tourist area. The War museum, with its collection of AFV, will be of interest to many ASL players. This is a great opportunity to combine an ASL tournament with a vacation.

We will have a main tournament of five rounds during those three days, as well as a mini-tournament of three rounds for up to eight players on Saturday and Sunday. Doors open at 11 AM Friday. Opening ceremony is at 12:30 PM. First round starts at 1 PM. Last round ends Sunday, no later than 4 PM.

The winner of the main tournament is determined by points. The mini-tournament is a single elimination tournament.

Pre-register to save a few dollars, or to guarantee a place in the three round mini-tournament, or to order your souvenir T-shirt, glass beer stein or dice glass.

We provide plaques for the winner of the mini-tournament and for the top three players in the
five round tournament.

Please see post #16 for a PDF flier containing the hotel information, tournament information and a registration form.

Last edited:

kempenfelter

Motivational Speaker
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'll be there, even if I have to take the bus to Ottawa, and I urge every ASLer in the vicinity to set aside the third weekend in September for the tourney. This will be the fifteenth year for the CASLO and it's always a fun time.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'll be there, even if I have to take the bus to Ottawa, and I urge every ASLer in the vicinity to set aside the third weekend in September for the tourney. This will be the fifteenth year for the CASLO and it's always a fun time.
What, a school bus? Bus service is getting worse every year. Take the train dude, if you're coming from the southwest or east. Someone can always pick you up at the station (or you can grab an OC Transpo bus directly to downtown and the hotel).

WBRP

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hmmm...seeing as FallCon got delayed to October, I might be able to do this, and could roll it into a family visit at the same time...hmmm...better put a place holder in Outlook.

kempenfelter

Motivational Speaker
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
In Dave Olli's S16 AAR in the Starter Kit forum a poster asked about Starter Kit in Ottawa. What do you say, Michael? Do you think we should have a Starter Kit mini-tourney?

WBRP

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Sounds good - then, once they've all shown up, we can hand-cuff them in place and pair them up with someone who wil teach them full-blown, all the bells-on-bicycle-being-ridden-on-rice-paddy-dike version of the game.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Oh Khill tell customs you're going to a Monopoly/Scrabble tournament.

Ya, not funny. I made that mistake two years ago when I went to CO at Montreal. Woburn border boys had little parlyvooo and no sense of humor. We were detained for an hour while they tried to figure it all out

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
In Dave Olli's S16 AAR in the Starter Kit forum a poster asked about Starter Kit in Ottawa. What do you say, Michael? Do you think we should have a Starter Kit mini-tourney?
Sorry, no format change this year. Starter Kit players have eight months to figure out the infantry rules to full ASL. After this year's tournament, I will propose other formats to the group (depending on the results of a survey I plan to send out between now and then).

NormJacob

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
(...) we can hand-cuff them in place and pair them up with someone who wil teach them full-blown, all the bells-on-bicycle-being-ridden-on-rice-paddy-dike version of the game.
Is that a promise?

Sam

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
This PDF file contains the hotel information and a registration form.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Michael:

Our plans for an ASL European tour (Linkoping and Arnhem) have been crushed by my wife's evil employers. :cry: They won't grant her time off during this period (late Aug-late Sep). So I guess I'll have to settle for, ho-hum, the Canadian ASL Open. :laugh:

I'll sort out my registration shortly. But is there any way that I can just give the fees to you when we meet at Beau's [insert shameless plug here] rather than mail them to Bill, way out in Winterpeg?

We really need to get the War Museum for a future CASLO. It's just too cool a venue to pass up. And if Warhammer :mad: types can use it to play, why can't we. We don't make half the noise rolling dice, although a Zoet or two would certainly raise the volume of our ASL play.

C

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
BattleSchool would be happy to run an ASLSK tournament concurrently, if CASLA rules and space permitted. Our KitShop would provide a few prizes, especially if MMP doesn't think the size of the event warrants it. Back to Michael. :devious:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The CASLO events are pre-determined by the charter of the Canadian ASL Association; to add a starter kit tournament, a CALSA member would need to make a proposal to the rest of the association. Although this can be done at any time, the best time is during our annual virtual meeting in October.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
This post is to remind people that there is an August 1 deadline to register if you wish to order souvenirs of the Canadian ASL Open. If you want only the pre-registration discount, the deadline is September 1.

The scenario list is coming soon.

Last edited: