2010 Canadian ASL Open

snave

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: 2010 Canadian ASL Open THURSDAY NIGHT

You guys did a good job running the tournament this year. I will write my longer AAR later on. Went to the Canadian War Museum day after CASLO as suggested. Worth the trip. Panthers, Sherman's, T-34's and some nice diorama's from the battles near Quebec City.

SteffenK

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Okay, I tried to make sure that each of my opponents had a decent chance of finishing in the top 3.

I had a great time at CASLO 2010, and I'm proud to be part of the CASLA movement that now sees it move around the country. Canada is my country (even if it doesn't know it yet) and I promise to attend CASLO wherever it may be held. Every tourney needs its losers, after all...

Well run, anally timed, and as usual for me, too fast for full enjoyment. Losing with full effect takes more time...

Kudos to the winners, players and losers I got to meet. See you all next year.

Steffen

SteffenK

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

btw, the only reason I didn't attend the Beau's beer thing was that I was in RSA, watching football live. By all accounts, it was a fabulous affair that must be repeated. The Vankleek Hill thing, I mean. (I'm pretty sure the World Cup will continue without us.)

Thanks to Chris for the cornucopia of product. Next time I'll bring cash -- there was stuff I wanted, but didnt' have cash on hand.

Panzer Dude

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Steffen,
Unfortunately, we didn't get a chance to play. I was hoping to witness the wonders of the wandering philosophical half squad adventurers and other related trippy tactics of the unexplored parallel universe of altered state ASL! ;) Maybe next time. At least we got to shoot the shite and tip a few pints on the patio. If CASLO returns to the same venue next year I'll be sure to bring a supply of bevies in case the hotel goes dry again on Saturday and Sunday.

Cheers!
Eric

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada

btw, the only reason I didn't attend the Beau's beer thing was that I was in RSA, watching football live. By all accounts, it was a fabulous affair that must be repeated. The Vankleek Hill thing, I mean. (I'm pretty sure the World Cup will continue without us.)
Battle @ Beau's was only a one-day affair. But we're still sorry that you missed it--we were an odd man out at one point. More importantly it was non-competitive and designed to accommodate all skill levels. A rookie played his first Starter Kit game at Beau's. Now that's a legacy to cherish... yes son, I played my first ASL game in a brewery! Not sure if there will be a Beau's 2 yet; may have to conduct a poll first to gauge interest.

That said, planning and pulling off a successful three-day event like the CASLO (four/five if you count the pre-event pub-crawl and post-event war museum trip) is no mean feat. Michael and Reg found a hotel in the heart of Ottawa, within walking distance of many attractions and amenities. The Parliament buildings were an easy ten minute stroll, the Rideau Canal only steps from the hotel, and the Byward Market likewise a short walk along the canal. The gaming room was exceptionally well lit with banks of windows on two sides--a welcome relief for my tired eyes. Our hosts ran a tight ship and kept everything on schedule. Everything from name tags to personal information sheets to player match-ups were a testimony to meticulous planning, organization and execution. Well done Michael and Reg. As an added bonus, there was free on-street parking from 17:00 on Friday until the close of the event on Sunday. Thanks for paying off the Parking Wardens in advance Reg :thumup:

Thanks to Chris for the cornucopia of product. Next time I'll bring cash -- there was stuff I wanted, but didnt' have cash on hand.
I'm sorry to hear this Steffen. My wife and I were not aware. Next time ask us about our monthly payment plan--seriously. We also take cheques.

Roll bayonets! or at least lower than your opponent.

Panzer Dude

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Michael and Reg found a hotel in the heart of Ottawa, within walking distance of many attractions and amenities. The Parliament buildings were an easy ten minute stroll, the Rideau Canal only steps from the hotel, and the Byward Market likewise a short walk along the canal. The gaming room was exceptionally well lit with banks of windows on two sides--a welcome relief for my tired eyes. .
You're right Chris, the venue was great. I definitely put in a vote to hold CASLO again there next year. :thumup: Between CASLO, Beau's and a fair amount of F to F play in Toronto, this is by far my favourite year for ASL action.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland

CASLO was once again a BLAST. Many thanks to Michael and Reg for another GREAT event. It was excellent ASL and always nice to see familiar faces and meet new people. However, I must admit that in my game for the mini title I managed to FAIL my Personal Moral like I have never done before. SP62 Il Ne Passeront Pas my heroic 10-3 and two squads armor assaulted onto the board an promptly found the HMG w/9-1 that rolled Snakes. Then I yatzeed the random selection roll, taking them all out straight away. A stunning blow. Then through in a few burning Shermans and a couple of killer snipers and I was so toasted and morally crushed. Still had fun at CASLO and looking forward to next year :)

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just a quick thank you to those who purchased something from our KitShop over the weekend.

We have emailed receipts to everyone concerned. If you have not received a receipt, check your junk/spam folders. The receipt is attached as a pdf. Unless you specifically requested a KitShop Price List, we did not attach one. (There appears to be a relationship between the number/size of attachments and the propensity of an email program to mark the email as junk/spam.)

Thanks for your patronage. For those who purchased/won BattleDice at the tournament, roll bayonets!

A Price List may be requested by emailing battleschool@rogers.com

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
2010 Canadian ASL Open WRAP UP

Attendance was up from the last couple of years for the 2010 Canadian ASL Open in Ottawa. We had 18 players participating in the first round, 19 in the second round and 20 for the third and fourth rounds. In the fifth round, we were back at 19. As well, we had more Americans in attendance than we have seen for awhile.

We had two players, Gary Trezza and Ken Young, remain undefeated after four rounds of play. They played the scenario Melee Near The Coast (BFP30) in the fifth round, which Gary Trezza won.

They finished in first and second place. Adriane Earle, who had lost his previous game to Ken Young, finished in third place. Besides winning the third place plaque, Adriane took home certificates and prizes for “Close Combat Commando” (+18) and “Deadliest Sniper” (47 points). He got a lot of CC points by destroying an Elefant in “Elephants Unleashed”. Brent Pollack managed the unusual feat of collecting the certificates for “Most Twos Rolled” (18) and “Most Twelves Rolled” (19).

The mini tournament had an All American final round between Keith Hill and Brian Wiersma. Brian also won the “Best Rate Of Fire” certificate.

On behalf of the Canadian ASL Association, here’s a big “Thank you” to all the people who attended, and to the suppliers of prizes: Multi-Man Publishing, Bounding Fire Productions, Battle School (Chris Doary), Lone Canuck Productions (George Kelln), and Andre Escobedo.

Name, Home, Final Rank, Record, Points, Seed, Rating

Gary Trezza, New York 1 5-0 65 1 1773
Ken Young, Ontario 2 4-1 52 3 1649
Adrian Earle, Ontario 3 4-1 50 2 1650
Brian Wiersma, New York 4 4-1 47 4 1645
Brent Pollock, Alberta 5 3-2 37 6 1550
Paul Chamberland, New York 6 3-2 36 5 1572
Paul Suderman, Manitoba 7 3-2 36 7 1538
Eric Laimer, Ontario 8 3-2 35 17 1432
Michael Rodgers, Quebec 9 3-2 30 9 1525
Chris Doary, Ontario 10 2-3 25 10 1502
Erik Lindblad, Quebec 11 2-3 23 11 1494
Jonathan Kenny, Ontario 12 2-3 23 19 1375
Andre Escobedo, Quebec 13 2-3 22 16 1449
Reg Plummer, Ontario 14 2-3 22 15 1450
Mark Evans, New Hampshire 15 2-3 22 8 1526
Blair Bellamy, California 16 2-3 20 18 1420
Keith Hill, Maine 17 1-1 12 13 1475
Steffen Knippel, Manitoba 18 1-4 10 12 1493
Rob MacDonald, Ontario 19 1-4 10 14 1451
JSu, Ontario 20 0-5 0 20 1250

JSu prefers to not have his name on the internet.

Last edited:

WBRP

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Re: 2010 Canadian ASL Open WRAP UP

Brent Pollock managed the unusual feat of collection the certificates for “Most Twos Rolled” (18) and “Most Twelves Rolled” (19).
Actually, it doesn't seem to be unusual for me; this is the second time I've won both at a single tournament. I think it simply means I do more DRs than anyone else.

snave

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I don't know how you constructed your seeding system, but it seems pretty darn accurate.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

I don't know how you constructed your seeding system, but it seems pretty darn accurate.
We got the player ratings from http://www.asl-area.org/, and then seeded players from highest rating to lowest rating. There were only four players without ratings. I assigned ratings to them after asking them about their past ASL experience.

In each round, players in each "wins" group were split into the top half of ratings and the bottom half of ratings. The top rated player in the top half played the top rated player in the bottom half, and so on.

This leads to the better players facing each other in the later rounds.

snave

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I was unaware of that site. Thanks Michael.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

You can read who played what and whom in the attached files.
Bruno Nitrusso has received the results to include in his ASL AREA ratings.
I will probably add these to ROAR on Saturday night after I get to Cleveland.

snave

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I know you said you were going to add the games to the ROAR before, but I am a bit compulsive about ROAR and did mine already.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

I know you said you were going to add the games to the ROAR before, but I am a bit compulsive about ROAR and did mine already.
Okaaayy. Thanks for letting me know, so I don't double post.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

All results are now posted in ROAR.