2010 Canadian ASL Open

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The CASLO events are pre-determined by the charter of the Canadian ASL Association; to add a starter kit tournament, a CALSA member would need to make a proposal to the rest of the association. Although this can be done at any time, the best time is during our annual virtual meeting in October.
Pity. :upset:

kempenfelter

Motivational Speaker
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Booked my flight yesterday. I guess the next step is to send off my registration to Bill Bird. Will be arriving Thursday and plan to have several wobbly pops before the event starts to enhance my already legendary ASL skills.

Trezza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have asked Mr. Rogers how I could get a pre-reg payment to him in Canadian funds and yet to get a response. Can anyone help me out or advise me how I can pay in advance.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have asked Mr. Rogers how I could get a pre-reg payment to him in Canadian funds and yet to get a response. Can anyone help me out or advise me how I can pay in advance.
Hi Gary,

Refer post #16 in this thread and send payment to following:

Bill Bird
839 Strathcona, Street
Winnipeg, MB
R3G 3G3

Cheers,

Chris

Trezza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, I can read, but not easy to mail a check in Canadian funds. So looking for some sort of advice on how to accomplish this feat.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes, I can read, but not easy to mail a check in Canadian funds. So looking for some sort of advice on how to accomplish this feat.
Hmmmm... Forget the cheque. Try an international money order in Canadian funds at the post office, or failing that a bank draft in Canadian funds.

Alternatively, if you are comfortable doing so, you can send payment in US funds to me (a cheque or PayPal) and I will submit your registration with mine and Ken Young's (in Canadian funds) before 1 Aug.

PM me for my private email address or email battleschool@rogers.com if you want to go this route.

Chris

Note: I am not on the directing staff of this tournament. But I do want to encourage US players to attend.

kempenfelter

Motivational Speaker
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thought I'd remove my post in case anyone read it and thought I knew what I was talking about...

Last edited:

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
At the risk of complicating what should be simple I thought I'd weigh in...I have no problem depositing Cdn cheques into my US account, so the reverse should be true. Just be sure to write "In Canadian Funds" on your cheque by the amount when you send it to Bill Bird. The bank will figure out the exchange rate.
Unfortunately, that is not necessarily the case going in the opposite direction. I tried sending a cheque to a fellow in MD and his bank would not accept it because it was in Canadian funds. They wanted him to pay a $25.00 fee and he had to wait until the cheque cleared: two-three weeks according to him.

Blair, I think your US bank has a good business relationship with you. I have had difficulty getting US banks to accept bank drafts in US funds, drawn on a Canadian bank account, but secured by Wells Fargo in Cleveland! Go figure.

This whole thing would be much easier if the CASLA would accept payment with PayPal. Maybe you can bring this up at your next AGM :D

Just my 1.93 cents.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I replied to Gary from my Gmail account, but it seems to have vanished into the ether. For any American who cannot get some Canadian cash (A bank or currency exchange could provide Canadian cash) with which to pre-register, just send in the pre-reg form with a note stating that you will pay when you get there. The number of Americans normally attending is small, so this shouldn't be a problem for our purchase of the plaques, etc.

I've learned to not send cheques to American tournament directors. They've told me of the ridiculous fees to get them cashed. Either I send American currency in the mail (disguised with several pages of text filled paper) or I send just the form and have an agreement from the TD that he is okay with it.

Trezza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great idea. Will mail my registration form in and pay the pre-reg price at the door in Canadian funds.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Re: 2010 Canadian ASL Open SCENARIOS

In the attached files are the scenarios lists for the main and mini tournaments. In a week or two, I will post the same lists with more information like map boards and overlays.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Re: 2010 Canadian ASL Open: PRIZES

Besides our usual plaques, we have commitments for prizes from Multiman Publishing, Bounding Fire Productions, BattleSchool and Alex Keys. As well, Andre Escobedo is donating an scenario pack from Le Franc Tireur.

WBRP

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Flights are booked...anyone able to carpool from Kanata (my wife and I are going to stay at her sister's place)?

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Flights are booked...anyone able to carpool from Kanata (my wife and I are going to stay at her sister's place)?
Adrian and Reg both live out that way. Reg is away on holidays at the moment. Reg is on the directing staff this year. He's probably the best guy to speak with first.

WBRP

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Any chance of just posting scans of the scenario cards for those of us that would like to peruse them before showing up, or is that a copyright non-no? It would accelerate things if we had a chance to record set ups in advance of the tournament.

In the attached files are the scenarios lists for the main and mini tournaments. In a week or two, I will post the same lists with more information like map boards and overlays.

WBRP

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

...and what is the tournament format? I couldn't see it in the flier. I presume each player ranks that round's scenarios from 1 (most desired) to 5 (least desired) and then compare the lists, with the scenario scoring the lowest number being the one they play?