2007 Christmas Holiday CPX

GCoyote

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow was that fun!

I'm going to let my key board cool off a little while the umpire and commanders think up their AARs.

In the meantime, I've uploaded a screen shot of the forces at EndEx with the Red Army operations overlay. Not great quality but I gives the idea.

JohnfMonahan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Umpire AAR

First, some else please host a CPX so I can play! Good planning by both sides. WWII is very different. The Soviets could have used a player with better tactical knowledge of WWII. Game went well technically with one restart, after the turn played on the host machine I got a >R in the bottom dialog box and the players were not updated. Saved, restarted TacOps and everything was fine. I believe there were no dialups. The soviets had a six company tank brigade (60 T-34, A and B), thirty KVs, three KV2 with rollers, a ten car scout company and two battalions of dismounted infantry. The Germans had an understrength infantry regiment, an additional platoon of 76.2 AT guns, and a battalion sized battlegroup of the 10th Panzer.

Soviet planning was tough as the German setup was late and delayed intelligence to the soviets. I controlled the soviet artillery and fired off a fire plan. (Just like history) I also forced the soviets to have C&C issues by making them maneuver in companies and with only three players. And one did not show up. This was Christians first CPX and he did very well. The initial rocket prep hit empty positions. (Just like history) The German use of smoke to slow down part of the soviets and limit the engagement size worked great (Just like history). The soviets hit just about every German AT gun. They did not plan fire on crossroads to limit the AT gun redeployment. They rarely dismounted their tank riders to kill AT guns. They were unlucky. When they hit the first German strongpoint, they went left. Right was open, left was a fire sack.

The Germans planned extensively but took a long time deciding on their chain of command. Their plan was very light on AT guns in the north. They fought a doctrinal fight and everything worked out.

We all had fun. I could do this one again. Read about WWII. It is very different.

If anyone wants the files just let me know.

Last edited:

Wyrd

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm bummed I wasn't able to make it. These CPX's sound fun, and I'd love to take a crack at one once I get a bit better at the game.