2003 ASL at Winter War TD's AAR

Brien Martin

Panthera oncia
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sigh ... another Winter War has come and gone. Seems like just this morning, I was packing up the car to head for Champaign. Now, I'm back home to real life.

Attendance this year was 36 ... down one from last year. We had 40 registered, but four gentlemen were unable to be with us for various reasons. 73 games were played in all during the five rounds. The sixth round was rendered unnecessary because we were able to crown a champion during Round Five's action (more on that in a moment).

Despite the "controversy" over the scenario list, only one match went off-list, and that was due to time constraints on one of the players in today's Consolation Match (which had a wild finish ... more on *that* in a moment as well). I think everyone found a scenario that they liked, and the J4 scens (as we thought) got a lot of play ... I'll do a "balance" analysis later this week when I'm back at 100%.

Before we get to who won ... the usual ...

Best Line of the Weekend goes to Kevin Graves. We were at lunch, and I was telling the story about my daughter (who's 10) asking me, "Daddy, how old will you be when you die?" Kevin's spot-on reply: "Do you owe her money?" Priceless.

Best Line of the Weekend, Runner-Up: In reply to Larry Zoet's complaint that the judges he tries cases before are tired of hearing his voice, almost a chorus rose up to ask: "How do you think the rest of us feel?"

Snafu Dice Award: This year's Snafu Dice Award, donated by Larry Zoet, was awarded to the first player who threw a CH, followed by a Dud. The "winner" was Steve Dennis, who accomplished this feat during Round One.

Flamethrower Award 1: This was a new award, and it went to the first player to roll snakes on a FT attack. This one was won at 3 am on Sunday by Kevin Graves, who received a quart jar of melt-your-fenders salsa, hand-made and donated by Bruce Hartman.

Flamethrower Award 2: This was a last-minute addition, a pint of salsa, for the best use of a FT, won by John Provan, who whacked eight squads with his FTs during Round Three.

Best Newbie Award: This award was given to the best new player (less than two years in ASL and less than 25 games played). I depended on player self-reporting for this one (especially for players whose names/reputations I did not know). This year's winner of $60 in MMP "cash" and a copy of CH 4.2 (donated by Larry Zoet) is Tim Riedl, who was playing only his 12th game of his "career" this weekend.

Tail-End Charlie Award: This award went to the two players who played in the 0-4 vs. 0-4 match. For the second year running, Ed Wisnowski took home an 0-5 record, and has set the all-time Winter War record for consecutive losses. His opponent, Matt Miller, won the final match. Ed went home with a copy of J4 (donated by Alex Key) and Matt went home with a copy of CH 4.2 (donated by Larry Zoet).

Pete Belford Award: Despite the protests I saw Pete post online, this award recognizes the efforts of Winter War's founder, Pete Belford, who created and handed over a tournament that is relaxed and fun. This year's winner is a man who I have long admired for his ability to laugh at himself, to enjoy the real reason why we all love ASL ... the friendships and company we keep. His selection was nearly unanimous.

The 2003 Pete Belford Award winner is Larry Zoet. He won an autographed print from Rodger McGowan, and a copy of Panzer Ace #1 Pack (donated by George Kelln via Alex Key).

Close Combat Award: This year's winner received a copy of the Fanatic Pack #1 (donated by Paul Kenny), an autographed print by Rodger McGowan, and the usual "6+1", special edition medallion. Randy Rossi took home the prize with a staggering 31 CCVP in four rounds.

And now, more about the Consolation Match. I have to write this, not to embarrass Steve Dennis, but to really hit home what was *the* most heartbreaking loss I have ever been witness to. This ending epitomizes everything we love and hate about this game.

Final German turn of "Lash Out". Matt Book's Germans need to move as a stack past two of Steve's Ami units. One is pinned, the other is a 6-6-7 (?) and a 9-1 leader. Matt's gonna have to survive, totally unscathed, two attacks ... a 1-1, and a 6-3. If any of Matt's units pins or breaks, the game is over and Steve will win.

Steve rolls the 1-1 ... snakes, cowers, no effect. Matt now enters the last on-board hex and faces the 6-3 shot. 11 or less, and Matt will have to pass at least 4 Pin TCs to win. A 12 does Steve no good. Steve rolls ... boxcars. Game over. Words cannot describe the stunned silence from the guys who were looking on.

OK, on with the results:

In the Championship Match, John Pires, last year's third-place finisher, defeated Randy Rossi in FE11: Italian Winter.

John received a copy of HOB's Onslaught to Orsha (donated by HOB) and the special edition champion's medallion.

Randy received a copy of BRT, as well as a CH Hero Pak and CH Map Pak (donated by Scott Holst), as well as the special edition second place medallion.

Matt Book received the third place medallion and the 3-D Nphum Ga map (donated by Jeff DeYoung).

Steve Dennis received an autographed print by Rodger McGowan (who provided not one, but five prints).

For the final standings, please note that Winter War uses a Chicago-style scoring system in the event it is needed to break ties. However, the event runs as a "single-elimination" event, with the final four undefeated players playing for the hardware. That's how Steve Dennis, at 3-2, is fourth, even though others finished 4-1.

Final Top Ten (W-L, PTS)
1. John Pires (5-0, 63)
2. Randy Rossi (4-1, 47)
3. Matt Book (4-1, 52)
4. Steve Dennis (3-2, 38)
5. Wayne Boudreaux (4-1, 50)
6. Doug Kirk (4-1, 47)
6. Frank Amato (4-1, 47)
6. Kevin Graves (4-1, 47)
9. Scott Drane (3-2, 38)
10. Craig Walters (3-1, 35)
10. Bob Miller (3-2, 35)

Some thank yous ... first, a huge thank you to our prize sponsors: Alex Key, Larry Zoet, Paul Kenny, Rodger McGowan, Scott Holst, Bruce Hartman, George Kelln, HOB, and MMP.

Second, a round of thanks to Steve Etzelmueller and Kevin Graves, who put together the 2003 scenario list. It's a more thankless job than mine, because you guys take all the grief from players about your choices. Given what I saw this weekend, I'd say that the naysayers were wrong.

Finally, a huge thanks ... really and truly ... to everyone who attended. I found it odd that so many guys didn't want me thanking them for attending. But it is true that all 40 of our attendees this weekend could have been doing something else with their time, energy, and money.

It would be ungrateful of me to assume that just because we hang a sign out that says "ASL at Winter War", everyone will attend. I will never stop thanking you for attending, because without you ... there *is* no Winter War. Again ... thanks guys!!!

Congratulations to all the winners ... I hope that everyone enjoyed themselves this weekend, and that most, if not all of you, will try to attend next year.

Mark your calendars ... ASL at Winter War 6 is February 6-8, 2004!!!

Thanks,
Brien