2 quick Dinant questions

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My brother and I were doing a map/rules review before starting our next CG, the choice being Dinant.
2 quick questions.

1. Do ALL units of an RG have to enter on the same entry area or can they be split among legal areas on a per turn basis for example? French are assigned but what if an RG has a choice of multiple entry areas, can they choose to split? Germans can use any so can they split? or does RG mean ALL UNITS of a given RG? If that is what it means that means all 22 tanks of German V1 have to enter on the same road effectively?
  2. If a roadblock is put on the EE21/FF20 hexside but is "in" EE21 which level is the roadblock actually at?
Thanks for any opinions or rules references we might have missed.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My brother and I were doing a map/rules review before starting our next CG, the choice being Dinant.
2 quick questions.

1. Do ALL units of an RG have to enter on the same entry area or can they be split among legal areas on a per turn basis for example? French are assigned but what if an RG has a choice of multiple entry areas, can they choose to split? Germans can use any so can they split? or does RG mean ALL UNITS of a given RG? If that is what it means that means all 22 tanks of German V1 have to enter on the same road effectively?
  2. If a roadblock is put on the EE21/FF20 hexside but is "in" EE21 which level is the roadblock actually at?
Thanks for any opinions or rules references we might have missed.
Hi guys.
1) DN 4.6151. Entry area vs area(s). They each come in on one area.

2) Placed in EE21 along a hexside that shares a higher/lower elevation the roadblock is considered at the higher elevation. This still doesn't confer hillside wall, WA. That is only when a crest line is pushed to the hexside.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
By way of clarification on the second point, the lower unit would not get wall as the roadblock is higher.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
If a roadblock is put on the EE21/FF20 hexside but is "in" EE21 which level is the roadblock actually at?
That is handled by B29.4:
"...A roadblock on a hexside that is formed by two hexes of different Base Levels is at the higher level and is treated like a Hillside Wall (9.6)."

So it is at the Level of hex EE21 and it is treated as a Hillside Wall.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is handled by B29.4:
"...A roadblock on a hexside that is formed by two hexes of different Base Levels is at the higher level and is treated like a Hillside Wall (9.6)."

So it is at the Level of hex EE21 and it is treated as a Hillside Wall.
Thanks for that Klas.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Adding to the questions my brother had. In the German setup, it states that German units must set up between hex-row 10 and 49. (EXC: Boats may be beached on the east bank of the Meuse.)

The question I have is, these boats that set-up beached still must be between 10 and 49 correct? That is what I assumed, but there is a AAR started on Facebook showing the German setting up boats beached from hew-row 49+ and then having reinforcements rush on from the south edge and jump into these boats , a decent tactic IF legal.

Also, the answer to Steve's first question baffles me: the V1 RG for the German contains 22 tanks. Its just going to be a wagon train of tanks down the one or two roads from a couple of those entry areas if you choose those, or all of them going the long way from the South (which also has a couple of pinch points where there will be traffic jams.) If this was the intent, then I guess I have to adapt; just seemed odd when we did our rules review prior to set-up this week.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Adding to the questions my brother had. In the German setup, it states that German units must set up between hex-row 10 and 49. (EXC: Boats may be beached on the east bank of the Meuse.)

The question I have is, these boats that set-up beached still must be between 10 and 49 correct? That is what I assumed, but there is a AAR started on Facebook showing the German setting up boats beached from hew-row 49+ and then having reinforcements rush on from the south edge and jump into these boats , a decent tactic IF legal.

Also, the answer to Steve's first question baffles me: the V1 RG for the German contains 22 tanks. Its just going to be a wagon train of tanks down the one or two roads from a couple of those entry areas if you choose those, or all of them going the long way from the South (which also has a couple of pinch points where there will be traffic jams.) If this was the intent, then I guess I have to adapt; just seemed odd when we did our rules review prior to set-up this week.
Answering the second part first. It gets crowded, but doesn't slow them down due to overstacking because of rule DN2.311. This is one of the reasons the trucks for the infantry are part of a separate transport RG. If you bring the infantry in on them, the traffic jam gets tough.

Don't get me wrong, it does slow your tanks getting in, but in they all will get. It is just a congested town as regards the road net, both in reality and on the map and is something that the Germans need to deal with.

For the first part of your question, that is correct. The rafts are part of the OB and subject to those setup restrictions. The exception for the boats is only to say that they have the option to setup beached, not to start outside that area.

If you are referring to Mr. To's AAR, I didn't pay close enough attention and missed that. I will locate it and point that out to them. Thank you for that.
Carl

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I don’t own the new French module, but historically, the German advance through the meagre road network of the Ardennes was, to use a technical term, a cluster f**k of a high order (so much so that, retrospectively, prominent historians have theorised that a decently strong & timely Allied bomber attack on the German columns may have changed the whole outcome of the campaign).
Possibly the “all reinforcements enter on the one entry area/road” may have been included in the CG rules to allow for the historical recreation.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Answering the second part first. It gets crowded, but doesn't slow them down due to overstacking because of rule DN2.311. This is one of the reasons the trucks for the infantry are part of a separate transport RG. If you bring the infantry in on them, the traffic jam gets tough.

Don't get me wrong, it does slow your tanks getting in, but in they all will get. It is just a congested town as regards the road net, both in reality and on the map and is something that the Germans need to deal with.

For the first part of your question, that is correct. The rafts are part of the OB and subject to those setup restrictions. The exception for the boats is only to say that they have the option to setup beached, not to start outside that area.

If you are referring to Mr. To's AAR, I didn't pay close enough attention and missed that. I will locate it and point that out to them. Thank you for that.
Carl
Yes, that is exactly the AAR I was referring to.

And thank you, that's how me and Steve read it, but then we were confused by the pictures from the at-start positions in that AAR.