2 bypass questions: resid with wall, and hills

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Q1: In opponent's MPh, my 467 DFFs from 4P6.0 to a bypassing unit at the P8/Q8/Q9 vertex. 4 down 2, right? The resid "floats" to P8. Is it 2FP? The wall didn't affect the original shot, so my claim is that the resid stays at 2. Opponent figures the wall reduces it. Opinions?

Q2: Hypothetical. I'm in 2O4, and I want to bypass the N3 woods into M4. 3MF total, or down and up the hill along the hexspine for 5MF total?

TIA,
steffen

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1. The shot is 4-2 if the LOS is drawn to the P8/Q8/Q9 vertex. Residual would be 2 because "the amount of Residual FP left by any attack is reduced by one IFT column for each positive DRM cause solely by conditions outside the target hex." [A8.26] Technically P8 is the target hex because it contains the obstacle being bypassed. The wall didn't affect the original shot anyway. See A4.34 for further explanation of Bypass LOS regarding Walls & Hedges.

2. 5MF, because you must go downhill, then up, as you describe.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Chas Argent said:
1. ... Residual would be 2 because "the amount of Residual FP left by any attack is reduced by one IFT column for each positive DRM cause solely by conditions outside the target hex." [A8.26] Technically P8 is the target hex because it contains the obstacle being bypassed. The wall didn't affect the original shot anyway. ...

2. 5MF, because you must go downhill, then up, as you describe.
Thanks Chas.

If I read you (and the rules) correctly, the resid is unaffected by the wall hexside, because the original shot was unaffected.

And I agree with your answer to #2. (I had an opponent who wanted to bypass around the woods art instead of along the hex spine, thereby avoiding the descending/ascending hassle. Interesting, but ultimately illegal, move.)

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No rule book handy right now but somewhere it says that bypass occurs at the Base Level of the obstacle being bypassed; therefore, in your example, you have to go downhill first in order to bypass at all.

Seabee Mark

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Johnny come lately to this thread, but just joined and was reading through the posts.

Regarding the RFP question, I think you played it right since the LOS didn't cross the wall. But wall/hedge TEM is considered "condition outside" the target hex, so had the LOS crossed it, the RFP placed would have been reduced. (Refs: A8.26 & B9.31).

As you said, the RFP "floats" to P8, so any one else bypassing that same hex would get the bldg TEM as a DRM to the 2FP attack (A8.2). That solves the bookkeeping problems of who moved or fired from where.

Mark