2.9 doesn't allow SAVE or SAVE AS

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
No matter what I do - new module, old module - there is no way to save anything. I find 2.8 still works for me.

Exact error message is

AN UNTRAPPED ERROR HAS OCCURRED.

ILLEGALARGUMENTEXCEPTION

NULL OWNER WINDOW

Is this commonly occurring?

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I recall this being an issue of an earlier build - say 2.9.1 or 2.9.2 or there abouts. Try updating to the latest release, 2.9.7 and see if that clears it up. If not, I'd post the same question to the vassalengine Yahoo! group (or I could do it for you) - Brent and others visit here fairly often but not as immediately as they would that discussion group.

Kyloth

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Saving game

Hi:
I had no trouble saving a Command and Colors game using 2.9.7. which game(s) were you having trouble with?
John

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Hi:
I had no trouble saving a Command and Colors game using 2.9.7. which game(s) were you having trouble with?
John
My own...I'm doing the work on the Sniper! and Ambush! modules listed on the VASSAL site, as well an as yet un-named man-to-man wargame of my own design. I simply reverted to an earlier build and am happy right now. Thing is, I didn't realize it screwed up my preference settings for VASL and now I can't see my own concealed units....(!)

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My own...I'm doing the work on the Sniper! and Ambush! modules listed on the VASSAL site, as well an as yet un-named man-to-man wargame of my own design. I simply reverted to an earlier build and am happy right now. Thing is, I didn't realize it screwed up my preference settings for VASL and now I can't see my own concealed units....(!)
Did you change your username and/or password? If you log in with the exact same credentials as before, it should recognize you as the owner of those pieces. I'm curious as to how VASL was affected by a VASSAL module - do you run VASL through VASSAL or as a stand-alone (it's own shortcut)?

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
Ya got me....I have icons for both on my desktop...?
When you use the VASL shortcut, it automatically starts VASL in 'play' mode under VASSAL 2.8.

When you use the VASSAL shortcut, you must manually load a modfile for either Play, Edit or Extensioneer modes.

VASSAL has gone a bit wonky w/ v2.9.5 or thereabouts, a fix should be available shortly. I've been sticking w/ 2.8 for all VASL work.

Once you've started a modfile, check the File > Edit Preferences > Personal tab & check the entries for Name & Password. VASL uses the Password entry to determine ownership (visibility) of ?'d & HIP units.

Last edited: