2-8 LMG in FW

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
Pretty sure it's the Browning .30 cal M1919A6, the bipod version of the US MMG in WWII ASL. It's my understanding that this was also not all that uncommon a weapon in US use in the second world war, although not used in anything like the numbers the tripod version was.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
M1919A6: Ordnance's attempt to furnish the American Army with a light MG. Weighed the same as the M1919A4 (w/o tripod).
Utilized the bipod of the BAR and the shoulder stock as well (not sure on that though). Introduced in summer 1944 as a weapon
to use in the hedgerows of Normandy [of course by the time it was in Quartermaster's supply pipeline, the Allies were no longer
fighting in the hedgerows].

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Looking at the LMGs in the standard US counter mix, the one on the right must be the M1919A6, the one on the left looks like an M1941 Johnson, but what is one one in the middle?
The silhouette looks like a Lewis but I thought US ground forces didn't use them. But I've never heard of them using any other pan-magazine-fed LMG either.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Looking at the LMGs in the standard US counter mix, the one on the right must be the M1919A6, the one on the left looks like an M1941 Johnson, but what is one one in the middle?
The silhouette looks like a Lewis but I thought US ground forces didn't use them. But I've never heard of them using any other pan-magazine-fed LMG either.

View attachment 18739
I'd also think the middle one is supposed to represent a Lewis.

von Marwitz

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Osprey (Weapons Series) has a book on the Lewis, that's how I learned about it's use in the Philippines.
Have to dig it out to check on Wake Island.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Perhaps on Wake Island as well.
Do you have any source information that the MG company of 1st Marine Def Bn had any Lewis MGs on Wake?
I do have access to a source document indicating the 6th MG company had in addition to its 24 M1917A1s, a total of four Putaeux 37mm guns. This was interesting as 5th and 6th companies were designated as AA defense formations. It also appears 4th Marines on Corregidor had some of the Puteaux 37mm guns, albeit with a limited ammunition supply. But I cannot find the Lewis in use except in the Philippines, in the early Solomons up to 1943, and in use with a few American units in NWE in 1944. - at least as far as U.S. use in World War 2 is concerned.

I do have source information that the USMC forces in Nicaragua and Haiti during the interwar years had MG companies equipped with lewis guns for LMGs, and M1914 Hotchkiss guns for HMGs. There is also of note quite a few references to a "mule cart" transport for the Lewis MG in USMC service.

Perhaps a scenario design for Nicaragua using animal pack rules???

:)

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But I cannot find the Lewis in use except in the Philippines, in the early Solomons up to 1943, and in use with a few American units in NWE in 1944. - at least as far as U.S. use in World War 2 is concerned.
This is very interesting, I would like to read about this if you have references and especially, photographs.