The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Comparing these two rules :

A2.4 Cumulative Terrain Effects Terrain effects and movement costs of hexes containing more than one terrain feature (such as 2I9) are cumulative unless specified otherwise by the rules governing the involved terrain types.
EX: Barring use of Bypass movement, it costs Infantry four MF to enter hex 2I9...

B.1 Symbology For aesthetic purposes, terrain symbology may extend marginally out of a hex into an adjacent hex of another type, but most hexes are dominated by one specific terrain type and are governed by the rules for that specific terrain type. Usually, the dominant terrain type includes the hex center dot, but occasionally building hexes have a hex center dot in Open Ground; an Open Ground hex center dot never changes a hex containing a building to an Open Ground hex. In some cases a hex will contain more than one terrain type with neither dominant over the other, in which case the terrain effect of both types are cumulative:
EX: The brush symbology of 14H2 extends into H1 and I2 but there should be no doubt that the latter are woods hexes. However, LOS from H1 to I3 is subject to a +1 Hindrance DRM due to the Brush depiction crossed along the H2-I2 hexside. Common sense must prevail. Just because the hex center dot in 14P1, dD0 of Deluxe ASL , or 4X8 does not touch the buildings in those hexes does not mean that they are Open Ground hexes; they are building hexes although a LOS may be traced through them as if they were Open Ground, provided the building depiction is not crossed. On the other hand, 2I9 is a combination building-woods hex and 2M4 is a wooded hill hex.

As Brush is not dominant in 14H1, does this mean an infantry unit moving from H2 to H1 expends only the woods 2MF - considering that H2 is "governed by the rules for that specific terrain type" ?
A difference clearly seems to be made between the 14H1 configuration and the 2I9 one...

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Robin said:
As Brush is not dominant in 14H1, does this mean an infantry unit moving from H2 to H1 expends only the woods 2MF - considering that H2 is "governed by the rules for that specific terrain type" ?
Yes, that's exactly what it means (IMHO of course).

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does it make a difference if it is PTO and we are looking at Jungle and Bamboo, respectively?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Entry of H1 from H2 would cost the jungle entry cost [2MF] (bamboo would not add its entry conditions to the jungle, as with brush).

Now, the bamboo in the H1 hex would have an effect on LOS.
If jungle is light - ie not Inherent terrain - would H1-H2 hexside be completely blocked, as bamboo is Inherent terrain... and what about the I2-I3 hesxide ?

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What kind of Jungle? :shock:
As Robin surmised, Light since any other kind of jungle makes the question moot.

Now, the bamboo in the H1 hex would have an effect on LOS.
If jungle is light - ie not Inherent terrain - would H1-H2 hexside be completely blocked, as bamboo is Inherent terrain... and what about the I2-I3 hesxide ?
I2-3 hexside is not a brush or bamboo. If we accept that the intrusion of the brush/bamboo is for aesthetic purposes in I2 only, then the I2-3 hexisde is either clear or jungle, again depending on the type of jungle, as Ron ably pointed out.