198 A Breezeless Day 447 ELR 3 or 5?

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
What is the ELR of the German 447 in 198 A Breezeless Day (former AP3)?
  • in the OoB it is written ELR3, and 447 are the only German MMC of that OoB
  • but SSR3 says that these 447 are SS and ends by "their Morale Factor is considered underscored"
That should mean ELR5 and SSR takes precedence on OoB. Is it correct? A19.13/19.132 are not crystal clear for me about that case.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
A1.23 (...) If the Morale Number is underlined, the unit is given an ELR of 5 (...)

Consequently ELR 3 applies for leaders only.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What is the ELR of the German 447 in 198 A Breezeless Day (former AP3)?
  • in the OoB it is written ELR3, and 447 are the only German MMC of that OoB
  • but SSR3 says that these 447 are SS and ends by "their Morale Factor is considered underscored"
That should mean ELR5 and SSR takes precedence on OoB. Is it correct? A19.13/19.132 are not crystal clear for me about that case.
ELR is 3, but units that fail ELR are broken into HS instead.

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I did read A19.13/A19.132 and it does not answer that point (it would have with 658 and no SSR).
By the RB SSR "always takes precedence over Game System rules"
And here the SSR3 says "... their Morale Factor is considered underscored", not " "... their Morale Factor is considered underscored for ELR replacement only".

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I did read A19.13/A19.132 and it does not answer that point (it would have with 658 and no SSR).
By the RB SSR "always takes precedence over Game System rules"
And here the SSR3 says "... their Morale Factor is considered underscored", not " "... their Morale Factor is considered underscored for ELR replacement only".
As previously stated their current morale as given in the OB is 3 and per SSR is considered underlined per SSR as per A19.3 Exception "[EXC: A squad with an underscored Morale Factor is Replaced by its two broken HS (even if its ELR has dropped below 5); a HS with an underscored Morale Factor is Disrupted instead unless exempt per 19.12. A Casualty MC (10.31) failure which also exceeds a squads ELR causes that squad to be Reduced to a broken HS of lesser quality.]" and does not put forth reasons their ELR has dropped whether by OOB instructions or per game mechanics. Also A19.132 is a little more specific for penalties induced, "Whenever a SSR (not just an OB) specifically assigns an ELR ≤ 4 to units with an underscored Morale Factor, they suffer Unit Replacement normally regardless of the severity of the quality drop thereby resulting (e.g., a German 6-5-8 -> a 4-4-7; a British 6-4-8 -> a 4-4-7)...." indicating that an SSR may overrule an OB given ELR of 5 but not necessarily so if the OB given ELR is < 5.

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Thanks all for these answers.
Georges, François B thinks same as you.
Eagle4ty, the "even if its ELR has dropped below 5" that you put in bold seems to be linked to A16 Battlefield Integrity, the only place to my knowledge in the RB where ELR can drop, and therefore seems not relevant here.
And again according to the RB a SSR "always takes precedence over Game System rules" and here it is the SSR, not the OB, which gives the ELR of 5.