194th Infanterie-Regimenter/71st Infanterie-Divisionen SASL Campaign May 40 - May 1945

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission 11: Szentlőrinc, Hungary, 5 Dec 1944
On December 2, 71st ID is ordered to set up a defensive line eastward of Kacota-Szentlőrinc, with a battlegroup formed from parts of the division to advance forward and engage the enemy to slow them down. Unfortunately, the enemy offensive was proving very strong, and despite the support of three assault guns, and a couple of Flak guns, the battlegroup could not delay it very long. However, they were able to hold the line for six days, slowing the Russian advance, before being withdrawn further west.

Type: Enemy Offensive (9)
Mapboard Selection: Weather: EC are Dry with No Wind at start.
FRIENDLY: I./194th IR(ELR 3). FBE West.
ENEMY: Russian (ELR 4). EBE East.
Misc:
  1. MSR 2 is NA. Instead a platoon of SPG’s are received. Make a DR on the FRIENDLY SPG Generation Table {x6a} to determine the SPG type, and a dr {A6b} to determine the number received (all are the same type).
  2. EXC to MSR 3 the AT Gun section received is two 20L 2cm FlaK38.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission 12: Szentlőrinc, Hungary, 30 Jan, 1945
In the last days of December 1944, the 71st was tasked with relieving the 1st Mountain Division’s right flank, near Kutas, Hungary, spending the following month preparing defensive positions as winter rolled in. They also conducted numerous night patrols to pin down the enemy and observer their strength. On 30 Jan, 1945, Russian units advanced forward in an all-out assault proceeded by artillery. The enemy was repulsed successfully and according to prisoners the unit was a punishment battalion. After this attack things quieted down for February.

Mapboard Selection: Weather: EC are Snow with No Wind at start. Ground Snow is in effect.
FRIENDLY: I./194th IR(ELR 2). FBE West.
Misc: NA

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission 13: Jako, Hungary, 6 March, 1945
Come March 1945, a decision was made to attack the Russian besieging Budapest and try to relieve them. Sepp Dietrich’s Division was tasked to assault north of Lake Balaton towards Budapest, while the men of the 71st ID were tasked with advancing south of the Lake and eliminating any fleeing Russians from the attack of the SS. With arrival of snow camouflage suits, the 71st attacks forward with the 194th in the left of centre position as a change in the weather brings heavy snows. This would prove hazardous as the previously identified minefields laid by Russian troops became covered, leading to some loss of life in the assault. The 194th quickly reached the town of Jako, but encountered stiff resistance as they moved towards the town centre.

Type: Block party (7)
Mapboard Selection: Weather: EC are Snow with No Wind at start. Deep Snow and Falling Snow are in effect. German units are equipped with winter camouflage.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission 14: Inko, Hungary, 28 March, 1945
The planned all out assault to relive Budapest was quickly mired down and then cancelled as German troops encountered much stiffer resistance than anticipated. Abandoning the hastily taken positions, the division was moved back into the defensive around the village of Inko. There they prepared for a fresh Russian attack that was expected to advance down the main street and were ready by dawn. In the early morning, the first Russian reconnaissance patrols appeared.

Type: Block party (7)
Mapboard Selection: Weather: EC are Snow with No Wind at start. Deep Snow is in effect. German units are equipped with winter camouflage.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission 15: Letenye, Hungary, 5 April, 1945
On April 1st, Easter Sunday, the beleaguered troops of the division were ordered to withdraw further to west for the final defense of the Reichland along the Reichsschutzstellung, or South-east Wall. Defensive fortifications were only partly completed before the advancing Russian armies reached the line. Before withdrawing however, the soldiers at the bridge over the Mur River near the town of Letenye must hold it until it can be blown to cover the retreat and slow down the advancing Russians.

Type: The Bridge (13)
Mapboard Selection: Weather: EC are Wet with No Wind at start. The sky is Overcast.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission 16: Ormuz, Slovenia, 6 May, 1945
With the end of the war looming, though unknown to the worn out and tired soldiers of the 194th IR, the division settles down for the night. Scrounging what ever troops are around, including elements of the Luftwaffe hastily drummed into the Regiment, the Germans wait with trepidation. But the lull does not last as one last Russian assault begins on their positions.

Mapboard Selection: Weather: EC are Wet with No Wind at start.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Designer Note.

I haven't played any of the missions for Campaign Part II, so I don't know if the MSR's will work as intended or not. If anyone does play this second part, and you have some points, please let me know.

Here is the compiled (i.e. complete parts I and II) PDF of the campaign.

Cheers.

Attachments

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I am just setting this up now, may take a long time to play (not much of an AAR writer, but I may post a few shots). Would this be an appropriate place to ask general SASL questions? Or is there a better thread?

I have a setup (general) question.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If you want ask questions fire away in this thread, especially if they might be pertinent to the missions.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I had a setup question but asked over at the ASL Discord site. Essentially it was regards to S? placement, I rolled even for both boards for the first mission, and in hexes with brush/woods >= 3, I had one where it was L4, M4, and M5 and if I placed a S? in M5. The answer is no.

I am still setting up the first scenario, and it may take me a long while to complete them.

I am not much of an AAR writer, but I know that AAR's help the designers out.

So I could try and make an AAR (but where?) and / or just post my progress here, but I don't want to screw up your thread...