194th Infanterie-Regimenter/71st Infanterie-Divisionen SASL Campaign May 40 - May 1945

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission 17

Mission 17: Arkadijewka, Ukraine. 22 June 1942.

Operation Wilhelm was a success and after a short pause, phase II – Operation Fridericus II – was carried out. This would see the assault on the Russian 9th and 38th Armies and the frontline advanced 25-40km. Once again, the 71st ID was allocated to the assault and in the early morning of 22 June they moved into position. Under cover of artillery fire, the 194th was ferried across the Burluk and assaulted forward on the left flank of the division. By 7:40 AM they had covered almost 10km with little resistance.

Type: Cautious Advance (1)
Mapboard Selection: As per Mission Card.
Weather: EC are Moist with No Wind at start.
FRIENDLY: I./194th I.R. (ELR 4). FBE West.
ENEMY: Russia (ELR 2). EBE East.

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission 18

Mission 18: Wasiljewka River, Ukraine. 2 July 1942.

The next objective for the 194th was to secure the area West of the Oskol River in order to continue Operation Blue. The advance progresses well and by noon the Oskol River is in sight as is the Kupyansk railway line.

Type: Pockets (2)
Weather: EC are Dry with No Wind at start.
ENEMY: Russia (ELR 3). EBE East.

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission 19

Mission 19: Brussowka, Russia. 13 July 1942.

The advance elements of Operation Blue were moving so quickly through the Russian forces that many units were bypassed in the initial stages. These would be handled by the follow on forces as 71st ID’s advance unit moved forward to secure bridgeheads. On the night of the 11th, the advance had unknowingly bypassed the HQ of a Russian Division and reports (taken from deserters) to the 71st HQ spoke of Russians trying to escape eastward. The 71st was tasked with patrolling into the vicinity of Brussowka, which would lead into a long day of back and forth for the Division and require a concerted attack by an infantry regiment supported by artillery.

Type: Patrol (8)
Weather: EC are Very Dry with No Wind at start.

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Re: 194th Infanterie-Regimenter/71st Infanterie-Divisionen SASL Campaign May 40 - Jan

Thank you so much...almost done. :)

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission 20

Mission 20: Chlebensky, Russia. 26 July 1942.

On 26 July, the lead elements of the 71st reached the Chlebensky River and the first task is to establish a bridgehead. The 194th sends elements over the river with a motorized attachment of the Reconnaissance Battalion. At just after 4 PM, they are the first units of the 6th Army to reach the Don. Since the start of the offensive on 7 July, the Division had covered 600km in just 20 days.

Type: Bridgehead (18)

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission 21

Mission 21: Nizhniy Chir, Russia. 7 August 1942.

Paulus held up his 6th Army at the Don, while he waited for fuel resupply for his panzers. However, Hitler was worried that undue delay would allow Russian forces to escape over the river and avoid destruction, so had Paulus commence his attack. The 24th Panzer was deployed once they had minimal fuel as were the infantry regiments. However the deployments were hampered by the immense dust generated on the Russian dirt roads, so much so that the II/194th and I/191st battalions were not in position – nor most of the Divisional artillery – when the attack commenced. Their target was the Chir-Stalingrad railway line.

The attack began at 3AM and was conducted through unfavourable terrain. As well, Russian forces on the East bank of the Don were able to engage the flank of the assaulting forces, despite Battalion mortar counter-fire on them. In spite of all this, good time was made. By 8 AM the railway embankment had been reached and by 5:30 PM the dominant heights east of the embankment had been.

Type: Bunker busting (5)

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission 22

Mission 22: Kalatch, Russia. 25 August 1942.

On the 25th of August, the 6th Army began crossing the Don River, under cover of artillery and heavy weapons fire. Using the fog to mask their crossing, the first boats made it half way across the river before enemy machine guns opened up. However they were soon silenced by the overwhelming barrage and heavy weapon fire from the German side. Despite the covering fire the breakout of the bridgehead on the East side went slowly as the Russians kept up constant counter-attacks. Finally, the whole of the 194th IR was across and they were able to push out to 1,500m by 7 AM.

Type: Cautious Advance (1)

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission 23-26 SASL VOTG Missions

Mission 23: Stalingrad, Russia. 14 Sept 1942

Conduct *VOTG SASL Mission v2 designed by Tom Morin.

Mission 24: Stalingrad, Russia. 16 Sept 1942

Conduct *VOTG SASL Mission v1 designed by Tom Morin.

Mission 25: Stalingrad, Russia. 15 Oct 1942

Conduct *VOTG SASL Mission v3 designed by Tom Morin.

Mission 26: Stalingrad, Russia. 30 Jan 1943

Conduct *VOTG SASL Mission v4 designed by Tom Morin.

* These four SASL missions were designed by Tom Morin and submitted to MMP for inclusion with his VOTG SASL ruleset. They should be published in Journal 11 I believe. These four missions inspired the whole campaign of the 194th Infantry Regiment.

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Mission 23-26 SASL VOTG Missions

Mission 23: Stalingrad, Russia. 14 Sept 1942

Conduct *VOTG SASL Mission v2 designed by Tom Morin.

Mission 24: Stalingrad, Russia. 16 Sept 1942

Conduct *VOTG SASL Mission v1 designed by Tom Morin.

Mission 25: Stalingrad, Russia. 15 Oct 1942

Conduct *VOTG SASL Mission v3 designed by Tom Morin.

Mission 26: Stalingrad, Russia. 30 Jan 1943

Conduct *VOTG SASL Mission v4 designed by Tom Morin.

* These four SASL missions were designed by Tom Morin and submitted to MMP for inclusion with his VOTG SASL ruleset. They should be published in Journal 11 I believe. These four missions inspired the whole campaign of the 194th Infantry Regiment.
very impressive. are you finished with this campaign? it was a pleasure to read.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
194th Infanterie-Regiment/71st Infanterie-Division SASL Campaign May 40 - Jan 43

Thanks. Yeah that's it for the campaign.

When I first played through this campaign (a couple of years ago) I used the mission list from that spreadsheet I had posted initially (since removed) but after doing this research I think I came up with a more 'realistic' set of scenarios. Unfortunately it near impossible to find the details for a single sub-unit of a Battalion/Regiment so I had to do some tweaking to make the missions fit...that's also why there might be a follow on mission within two days of the previous (not quite semi-monthly :) ). Given that a Battalion was usually the smallest unit deployed to an action (if not a Regiment...at least in the literature) I just used the 1st Company of the 1st Battalion as the campaign company even though historically it may not have been. Also, companies were (I imagine) constantly restructured using existing Battaillon strength anyways throughout the campaigns, especially as the manpower/replacement pool from Germany became more and more depleted. Close enough I would think.

My original campaign saw me go into the first VOTG mission with 60% Elite MMC, 3 x 10-2 leaders and at full strength. After that first mission I lost two of the 10-2's and some of the squads...what a meat-grinder.

The missions that are marked as DRAFT have some miscellaneous rules that I haven't tried yet, so I'll have to go through the campaign again and test them out - aside from those I tried to stick to the actual Missions as much as possible. If anyone has played through this campaign, I would like feed back on those Misc Rules.

As an optional ending, I'm thinking of developing standard SASL missions for the 5-months the 194th was in Stalingrad (vice the four VotG ones Tom Morin made up). Not sure yet.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: 194th Infanterie-Regiment/71st Infanterie-Division SASL Campaign May 40 - Jan 43

Great work! I'm looking forward to giving it a go. I'll bet I never come close to seeing the Stalingrad missions. I've got to spead some rep before I can rep you again so I'll rep the first guy that reps you for me. Thanks for all your hard work!

Now a request...can you put all the missions in an easy to download PFD file?

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Re: 194th Infanterie-Regiment/71st Infanterie-Division SASL Campaign May 40 - Jan 43

Thanks.

I'm cleaning it up right now and then will upload it.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

PDF file uploaded on the first post.

Enjoy, and if you have any feedback please let me know.

Cheers.

EDIT

Added the file to the downloads section.

Last edited:

Jim Bennett

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

I see this was posted in January 2015 so for the SASL world that's pretty current. It is now June 2015 and you might want to check out the new campaign site for GSASL attack on MALTA (1942) OPERATION HERCULES (somewhat fictional!- but close to historical) and email me if you'd like to join in and play the Italians? jim.bennett@shaw.ca

OPERATION HERCULES website is at www.gsasl2015recruits.wordpress.com

Last edited:

Jim Bennett

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

OK GSASL potential recruits listen up! The German/Italian (fictional) 1942 attack on Island of MALTA is now halfway through Mission 3 and approx. 15-20 players still active during one week or another..... we're recruiting now for 2016 and will be doing training over the holidays for SASL in general and, in particular, this GSASL - Group Solitaire ASL campaign. What you missed in Missions 1 & 2 are the glider and parachute landings.....but there are still 3 scenarios likely to follow in new year.
If you're interested drop the "Quartermeister" an email at jim.bennett@shaw.ca

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States

I decided to play through the Fall of France part of this campaign. I’ve been wanting to do a 1940 campaign for awhile and this is WAY better than a generic run of missions. You asked for feedback, and though I found nothing major I did have a couple points worth mentioning:
- During mission one I generated a hero. The postgame step where he would have been removed from the coy.was eliminated by your MSR. I decided to remove him anyway (keeping a side record so I’d remember to use a -1 DRM when Squad seasoning finally occurred after mission2.)
- I assume that the Mission 3 (Bois d’Inor) ENEMY OBA is in addition to any other ENEMY RE (except OBA RE.) Is it otherwise treated as an RE? Specifically, should I have rolled for it on turn 1 despite no ENEMY S? being on the board? (I went ahead and checked but as luck would have it did not get an ENEMY Fire Mission on that turn.)
- Although I didn’t use the night rules for mission 3, I am curious about your specifying the night rules presented in Digest 7-4 rather than the ones in section 12.8. Do you find them to be better? (I’ve yet to play a night mission in SASL, so I have no dog in this fight so far.)
- It’s a little unclear if the OBA is mandatory as written up in the 194th write up for mission 5 (I took it, although it didn’t do me any good – the radio went out before I could correct a SR onto any French and I couldn’t repair it.)
- There should be some errata for this mission (#5), I think, indicating re-rolling a “No S?” result for the S? placement on table A9e (this is what I rolled and, deciding not having any French to fight might be a bit boring, rerolled to get something more reasonable.) Of course this is SASL’s error, not yours.
- My counter mix was exceeded for mission #6 – I had to break out some ‘kleinflossak’ counters from “Crescendo of Doom” as proxies when I ran out of small raft counters. With no assault boats allowed I think this is likely to be the case for other players who only have boats from BV. I wound up getting (and using) board 40 for this mission, but it felt a little off – the Moselle is a pretty big time river for only a weedy little two-hex wide representation, isn’t it? In retrospect I should have ignored the dice and gone with one of the wider-river boards.
These are all minor points from a tremendously well put-together campaign. Someday I hope to go back and finish the Barbarossa and Stalingrad parts of the campaign.
It was terrific fun and I’d encourage others to give it a try either in whole or part. Thanks for sharing it with us!

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Any updates on this? The PDF is no longer accessible. Looks like last post was two years ago.