194th Infanterie-Regimenter/71st Infanterie-Divisionen SASL Campaign May 40 - May 1945

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission #5

Mission 5: The enemy turns and fights. Samogneux, France. 14 June 1940.

After several days of engaging the evading enemy, the 194th I.R. encounters significant resistance at Samogneux and the nearby Hill 344. At 05:30 the lead elements of the 194th enter the village under cover of outstanding artillery support by embedded artillery observers at the front of the action.

Type: Block Party (7)
Mapboard Selection: Mission mapboard selection NA. One mapboard is determined [1=46, 2=64, 3=10, 4=12, 5=53, 6=s]. Board number is to the east on a dr ≤3; otherwise it is towards the west. FBE is to the west.
Weather: EC are Moderate with No Wind at start.
FRIENDLY: I./194th I.R. (ELR 3). FBE West.
ENEMY: France (ELR 3). EBE East.

Misc:
1. EXC to MSR 4. FRIENDLY side OB is supplemented by one OBA Module with Plentiful Ammo. In addition one pre-registered hex may be selected after bombardment, but before S? placement.
2. EXC to MSR 5. Samogneux is automatically a DEVESTATED CITY.​

Last edited:

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Mission #5

Nice write-ups. Really enjoying them. I do SASL all the time and, even though MMP has neglected it, I find it very refreshing with the randomness of it.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks.

The randomness and 'fog of war' is definitely refreshing...until your best leader PANIC's off board for a couple of turns :mad:

I'll be posting Operation Barbarossa portion soon.

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: 194th Infanterie-Regimenter/71st Infanterie-Divisionen SASL Campaign May 40 - Jan

Thanks.

The randomness and 'fog of war' is definitely refreshing...until your best leader PANIC's off board for a couple of turns :mad:

I'll be posting Operation Barbarossa portion soon.
That should be interesting. SASL doesn't gets its due like is should. I am thinking campaign in 1940 myself. We will see if the wife lets me "use" the dining room table for a while. :)

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission #6

Mission 6: Crossing the Moselle. Pont St. Vincent, France. 20 June 1940.

Having captured the city of Nancy the previous day, the 71 I.D. pushed forward to the north bank of the Moselle River. Realizing the need to hold the higher ground on the south bank of the Moselle, the division orders the 194th to cross and secure the south bank. Mounting up, the 1st Battalion of the 194th (reinforced by the 3rd Company Pioneer-Regiment 171) is trucked from Nancy to the river and their inflatable rafts are prepared. The 6th Company would cross immediately, while two others would cross further to the North. By 16:00 hours, the 6th company with pioneer attachments had crossed despite strong resistance from the defenders and had gained a foothold. The French defenders were fighting with fierce resolve to repel the assault.

Type: River Assault (17)
Mapboard Selection: Eastern board is the river board; western board is rolled on A8b. FBE is to the East. River has a Slow Current running South to North.
FRIENDLY: I./194th I.R. (ELR 3). FBE East.
ENEMY: France (ELR 3). EBE West.

Misc:

1. MSR 4 is NA, i.e. Assault Boats are not available.
2. MSR 5 is 100+ OBA with Normal Ammunition if chosen.​

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
After the war in France was over (France capitulated on the 22nd of June), the 194th IR and the 71st ID were put in garrisoning the West and conducting training. In April1941, the Division was moved eastward to a staging area in preparation of Operation Barbossa. Prior to conducting the East Front missions, conduct Rest and Refit steps S17.82-.9 until the company is at full strength (i.e. US# 52).

Last edited:

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: 194th Infanterie-Regimenter/71st Infanterie-Divisionen SASL Campaign May 40 - Jan

After the war in France was over (France capitulated on the 22nd of June), the 194th IR and the 71st ID were put in garrisoning the West and conducting training. In April1941, the Division was moved eastward to a staging area in preparation of Operation Barbossa. Prior to conducting the East Front missions, conduct Rest and Refit steps S17.82-.9 until the company is at full strength (i.e. US# 52).
Send them to the front, the eastern front!

I just took out two Holland Armored Cars with an AT rifle.

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission #7

DRAFT

Mission 7: Lubaczow, Poland. 22 June 1941.

The 194th IR was thrust into action on the first day of Operation Barbarossa. It, along with the other Infantry Regiments (191 and 211) of the 71st Infantry Division, formed a 3-regiment front just over 1km in width; the 194th was on the right flank and also was the Division’s centre of gravity. The lead elements had crossed the Russian border – its objective being Lubaczow – without incident but as it approached the town in the late afternoon found it heavily occupied by Russian forces.

Mapboard Selection: Mapboard is rolled on the ‘Village’ column of Table A9. Village must contain ≥6 city blocks – as defined on the Mission Card – otherwise reroll board.
Weather: EC are Dry with No Wind at start.
ENEMY: Russia (ELR 2). EBE East.

Misc:
1. MSR's 5 & 6 are NA.
2. Vehicles generated in a building Location are NA. Reroll A1 result.
3. Rest and Refit steps S17.82-.821 are NA.​

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Re: Mission #8

DRAFT

Mission 8: Niemirow, Ukraine. 24 June 1941.

Two days into Barbarossa, the 194th IR had already lost two battalion commanders but had made steady progress advancing some 30km. The Russian defenders sniped and attacked from ambush at the approaching Germans, retreating when facing the overwhelming attacks. At 10:00 hrs that morning, the division orders the Tank Destroyer battalion to occupy the high ground to the south of Niemirow, while the 194th and 211th IR’s occupy the city. At 11:30 hrs, the Russians staged a counter-attack, spearheaded by tanks. This caught the Division by complete surprise, but the appearance of the anti-tank guns and the maze of streets that the tanks had to navigate allowed the 71st ID to mount a heroic defense.

Type: Tank Attack! (10)
Mapboard Selection: Western most board is rolled on the ‘City column of Table A9.

Misc:
1. MSR 2 is NA.
2. MSR 3 & 4. Table A6c drm NA; there is a -1 drm to the roll on Table A6c. Each gun received, sets up towed, in column and in Motion off-board, and can enter on Turn 1.
3. MSR 5 is NA.​

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Re: Mission #9

DRAFT

Mission 9: Grzybowice, Ukraine. 30 June 1941.

On the 29th of June, the 71st ID was tasked with holding the high ground northwest of Lviv (around the village of Grzybowice) in anticipation of the 1st Gebirgs Division assaulting the city the next day. Lviv itself was abandoned of enemy and secured without a fight however, the persistent Russian counter-attacks continued. In the early morning hours of the 30th, with a dense fog covering the meadows in front of the them, the 194th was awoken by the fire of the nearby guns of the 171 Anti Tank Battalion, and the onset of infantry fire from attacking Russians who were trying to reach Lviv and retake it. The enemy was using the fog to cover their approach and fighting was conducted at close range by both sides. At 7:20, reinforcements arrived to aid the beleaguered defenders. By 8’o clock that morning, when the fog started to clear it looked like an entire Russian battalion had been smashed in the assault.

Type: Hold the Line (10)
Mapboard Selection: As per Mission Card.
Weather: EC are Moist with No Wind at start. Fog (+2 DRM) is in effect.

Misc:
1. EXC to MSR 3, only the Gun section may be chosen.
2. MSR 5 is NA​

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Re: Mission #10

DRAFT

Mission 10: Marjakowka, Ukraine. 30 July 1941.

Over the month of July, the 194th and the 71st ID were assigned as the Army Reserve, following the lead elements as they pushed towards Kiev. On the night of the 25th of July, the Regiment reached the Fastow bridgehead and over the course of the following night they replaced elements of the 60th Mot. Division before Klechowka. Continuing the advance, on the morning of July 30th, the 194th commenced its attack on the village of Marjakowka – in conjunction with two attacks on adjacent fortified towns by the other two Regiments of the 71st. Under cover of artillery fire, the regiment approaches the southern edge of the village before effective Russian anti-aircraft fire shoots down the aerial observer. In the course of the day, in persistent urban combat, the regiment pushes into the village.

Mapboard Selection: Mapboard is rolled on the ‘Village’ column of Table A9. Village must contain ≥6 city blocks – as defined on the Mission Card – otherwise reroll board.
FRIENDLY: I./194th I.R. (ELR 4). FBE West.

Misc:
1. MSR 4 is NA​

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Re: Mission #11

Mission 11: Novossjolki, Ukraine. 7 August 1941.

In early August, the 71st ID had pushed North over the bridgehead over the Weta, with all three infantry regiments into the Dogs Forest (southwest of Kiev). However repeated counter-attacks from the Russians kept delaying the advance so the decision was made to form up a defensive posture and secure the area before the advance on Kiev continued. At around 9 o’clock on the 7th of August, the 194th IR began to attack the entrenched Russian forces in the forest that doggedly fought for every inch of woods; by noon the Regiment had finally reached the northern edge of the forest with the defender slain almost to a man. The Russian defenders then commenced repeated counter-attacks on the German positions, usually under cover of intensive artillery fire.

Type: Enemy Offensive (9)
Mapboard Selection: EXC to Initial Mapboards: Table A8c is used for mapboard determination and a -1 DRM applies to each mapboard determination DR {A9}. Ignore the EXC in the first sentence of INITIAL MAPBOARDS:.

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Re: Mission #12

DRAFT

Mission 12: Budajewka-Saborje, Ukraine. 24 August 1941.

While the 71st ID had been badly mauled in the fairly continuous combat since the 29th of July, it nonetheless was marched to the Northern edge of the Budajewka section to replace the 99th Light Infantry Division. Taking over and enlarging the defensive works of the 99th, the 194th IR repelled several more counter-attacks by the Russians, though thankfully the artillery fire was more sporadic and much less effective.

Type: Hold the Line (10)

Misc:
1. MSR 5 is NA.​

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Re: Mission #13

Mission 13: Berkowez, Ukraine. 19 September 1941.

As of September 9th, the 71st ID is withdrawn from the defence and moved to replace the 299th Division further North. By the 12th they had marched through tough weather conditions to their new starting positions on the West bank of the Irpen river, taking over a 60km wide section of the front (from Budajewka to Bobrzy). The Russians were dug-in east of the Irpen in a highly developed line of bunkers and wire entanglements, mines and ditches. The 29th Army Corp subsequently tasked the 71st with rolling up those positions. Preceded by the 191st IR attacking to their left on the 18th, the 194th crosses the Irpen and establishes a beachhead on the east bank and sends out several patrols. These patrols determine that the enemy resistance is dwindling and so the order is given to advance forward.

Type: Bunker Busting (4)
Weather: EC are Moist with No Wind at start.

Last edited:

tommyl

Reaction score
First name
Tommy
Country
llUnited States
Re: Mission #13

Thanks for you your work on these. I enjoy reading each write up and look forward to be able to play through some day.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
194th Infanterie-Regiment/71st Infanterie-Division SASL Campaign May 40 - Jan 43

Not a problem. Translating that German book is a chore, but definitely worth the effort. Let me know how your campaign goes.

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: 194th Infanterie-Regiment/71st Infanterie-Division SASL Campaign May 40 - Jan 43

I also enjoy reading your campaign updates, keep up the good work, your detail is much better than anything I would have done.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission 14

Mission 14: Balakleya, Ukraine. 12 May 1942.

The 194th IR was seconded to the 44th ID as it was located in their area of responsibility – near the village of Balakleya – when the Russian counter-offensive began. Over the next couple of days they were able to fend off repeated armour and massed-infantry attacks from the Russian 6th Army as it maneuvered to their south.

Type: Enemy Offensive (9)

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission 15

Mission 15: Balakleya, Ukraine. 22 May 1942.

Marshal Timoshenko’s spring offensive proved short lived and costly. By the 17th of May German forces had cut deep into the Russian salient in a counter-thrust and would enclose the Russian forces in a few short days. On the 22nd of May, the 44th ID sent combat patrols south across the river to link up with elements of LI Army Corp cutting North and creating the Barvenkovo Pocket, trapping several Russian Divisions.

Type: Cautious Advance (1)
FRIENDLY: I./194th I.R. (ELR 4). FBE North.
ENEMY: Russia (ELR 2). EBE South.

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mission 16

Mission 16: Mostovoya, Ukraine. 10 June 1942.

After the destruction of Timoshenko’s ill-fated attack – 16 rifle divisions, 6 cavalry divisions and four tank brigades were annihilated – Field Marshal Bock finished preparations for his own attack, called Operation Blue. One of the preliminaries was conducting an envelopment of the Russian 28th Army on 10-15 June 1942, called Operation Wilhelm, using the 6th Army, spearheaded by the 23rd Panzer Division. In the early morning hours on 10 June, preceded by a massive artillery bombardment, the 71st ID led with all three infantry regiments as part of the southern wing of the envelopment. The 194th made good progress and was able to secure a bridge over the Burluk River by 9 AM, allowing for the 23rd Panzer to continue their advance.

Type: Bridgehead (18)

Last edited: