1916 Campaign - Kaiserliche Marine

saddletank

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
ll
I should resurrect this campaign and carry on, but I got a bit bored sailing around in circles in the far north as Hipper. He should be recalled I think in any case and Sheer's plan to destroy the Dover Monitors put in motion.

mariandavid

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I can understand that: I have started a new campaign (had to anyway as I was one of those who were forced to do a clean load of everything with the new system) and am trying to match what was practise as opposed to what we always seem to do - that is throw everything into action in the first month, tracking day by day and minute by minute. Instead launch a new operation once every two weeks or once a month, a complex one with the intent to throw off Room 40. As far as I can tell this is what happened in reality - the HSF operated seldom, and preferably only at full force, hoping that the unpredictability of their moves would cause constant action and consequent attrition of the GF and Harwich Force. The only exceptions would be subs, Zeppies and close-in TB patrols. I think the problem is that we tend to treat a one-year campaign as if it was the one-month one!

By the way I really did like your idea of just keeping the dozen or so 'long range TB/DD' with the Scouting Force.

saddletank

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
ll
By the way I really did like your idea of just keeping the dozen or so 'long range TB/DD' with the Scouting Force.
That was purely for the raiding sorties... not at all historical as you say. I don't know that it was much use... it just limited the BCs range. I have since done a game with just the BCs in pairs and that was... fun... Though once the GF finds you there's an awful lot of running away to do.