$149 GTX 750 Ti Plays Titanfall better than Xbone

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got this off of ReviewTech USA's feed:

$149 Nvidia GTX 750 Ti unveiled; plays Titanfall better than Xbox One

ReviewTech writes:

so an entry level gaming card that you can slap in almost ANY desktop pc can run Titanfall better than the Xbox One. A console that has only been on the market for a few months. Are you guys finally seeing what I am saying? This is a BIG problem:
Might have to look into this card as mine is starting to fall behind. Having said that, it runs Titanfall great on high settings (it is only a 1gb card, so it is true that TF scales well).

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Careful. Not a very high mark. The memory bandwidth on this card is very limited so you can push neither resolution nor AA nor much else.

Sure, in braindead mode it can emulate a braindead console.

whistleblower

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGreece
Video reviews are keep coming in. After Tech of tomorrow analyzed the GTX 750Ti watched the following one

[video=youtube_share;4bAUSRx7wF0]http://youtu.be/4bAUSRx7wF0[/video]

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
So the new Maxwell cards are finally out. Anyone thinking of upgrading? I'll wait until the price comes down as I'd like to know what the recommended specs for the OR are going to be before buying a new card. Plus I guess I might want a 4K monitor to go with a new card and I think I'll need a new PSU as well...Oh dear could be a very expensive 12 months or so...

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am thinking of upgrading my GPU and monitor this year...in that order. I've been asking on the Dell forums for a GPU recommendation sub-$200 and this card is the preferred choice. I see Tom's Hardware also made it their pick for April. So, I think this is the one I am going to get sometime this year. The card has become so popular that nVidia has since raised the price back to $150 after cutting it $20 or so earlier in the year. Gonna have to time this right to get a good discount.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I've been running one for a while now and haven't had any problems. You may not be surprised to hear that I've mostly been been playing Elite so can't comment on its performance with any other games ;) I have an i5-2500K and had to flash my motherboards BIOS in order to get it to work. The other thing going for the 750 Ti is its power usage, I doubt you'll need a new PSU! Would $200 stretch to a 960?

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been running one for a while now and haven't had any problems. You may not be surprised to hear that I've mostly been been playing Elite so can't comment on its performance with any other games ;) I have an i5-2500K and had to flash my motherboards BIOS in order to get it to work. The other thing going for the 750 Ti is its power usage, I doubt you'll need a new PSU! Would $200 stretch to a 960?
I hate to mess around inside my PC, so I always look for a simple plug and play card when I upgrade. My XPS has a dedicated 230 watts just for the GPU, so power really isn't an issue, but I hate foolin' with cables and stuff, so just being able to slot this in the MB is a big plus for me.

What do you mean you had to flash your BIOS? I hear people say that from time to time but never knew what it meant. Fortunately I never had to do that. Why did you?

BTW: I have to be honest: Elite is the reason why I am thinking about upgrading, too. :D I am already running it on high/ultra, but I would like a smoother framerate when I am in the bigger stations. As I have been posting about in the other forum, my gaming enthusiasm has seriously waned these past few months, but Elite is suddenly really developing into a passion for me. The interesting part is that the passion is not so much for the gameplay side as the astronomy side. I am really starting to appreciate the great, scientifically-accurate vistas that this game offers. Reminds me of that classic game The Halley Project. Speaking of, where are my damn comets?!? :D

Last edited:

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How many monitors can the 750 support at the same time? Is it 4 like most do or is it crippled?

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I doubt the GTX 750 Ti could support four monitors, unless they were CGA ;)

I had to upgrade my BIOS because I got no video output with the card in, either from the motherboard or the GTX 750 Ti.
I have an Intel i5-2500K (Sandy Bridge) in a Asus Rock Z68 motherboard. I switched to the GTX 750 Ti from an HD 5770 that I think was too much for my crappy PSU. The 750 was a few rungs further up the ladder and the reduced power consumption had made my system a lot more stable.

Flashing the BIOS isn't particularly difficult, although supposedly it can go badly wrong. I downloaded the latest BIOS to a USB stick from the Asus website, then followed the instructions. Basically this involved hitting F2 on boot up to go into the BIOS menu and then clicking through a few times. After a nervous wait I could install the 750 Ti and NIVIDAs drivers. I've got much better performance in Elite and have stopped getting BSODs. If or when I get a new card I will have to get a new PSU at the same time though. I'd love to play Elite using VR or in glorious 4 K, but that'll cost a fair bit me thinks.

I do enjoy the connection you get with Elite being set in the Milky Way. I've looked up at Orion and thought - I've been to Rigel!

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Flashing the BIOS isn't particularly difficult, although supposedly it can go badly wrong. I downloaded the latest BIOS to a USB stick from the Asus website, then followed the instructions. Basically this involved hitting F2 on boot up to go into the BIOS menu and then clicking through a few times. After a nervous wait I could install the 750 Ti and NIVIDAs drivers. I've got much better performance in Elite and have stopped getting BSODs. If or when I get a new card I will have to get a new PSU at the same time though. I'd love to play Elite using VR or in glorious 4 K, but that'll cost a fair bit me thinks.
Ah, got it. That would have my heart in my throat. :D

I do enjoy the connection you get with Elite being set in the Milky Way. I've looked up at Orion and thought - I've been to Rigel!
Yeah, it is a pretty nifty side benefit. :cool: