$142, spend or not

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Meh, obvious to me that the hostility and wilful misrepresenting you're getting there from the usual suspects is because you're the mod over here. This site deeply deeply bothers them even though they keep teling themselves its just the same few cranks (thats true enough).

If its any consolation it sounds like most people there agree that it'd be nice to have a skirmish line someday. But like RW said before these guys all play so much they dont see any value in making it easier or faster to control lots of units; if you want formations, split your squads. Now shut yer yap.
I havent even touched on the dodgy AI yet! But on another note, I just upgraded my Windows to 8.1 and guess what, CMBN wont play yet again, just like when I updated to 8 last year. Yet another ticket submitted! Do people want to pirate CM so much that this DRM is necessary? Its not like its Call of Duty!!! Every time I do something to my PC I end up asking for a re-set on the DRM. However, it has allowed me to play some CM Afghan today, what a rubbish game that turned out. Very few scenarios and no support for that game.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Whatever real world formations might or might not have been used in combat or under fire...

... the voluntary exposure to concrete enemy fire that CMx2 soldier practice is just ridiculous to defend. Real people have self-preservation instincts.
I agree with you there, even in field exercises I wouldnt have exposed myself to enemy fire like the CM guys do.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I agree with you there, even in field exercises I wouldnt have exposed myself to enemy fire like the CM guys do.
When I was in the US Army, it was constantly pounded into your head, when out in the field, to "Keep Your Interval". That interval was 5 meters. Even when in a chow line, you stayed that far away from the next soldier. The basic premise being that a grenade would only take out one guy or two. Bunching up means making the enemies job easier. Automatic weapon fire is reduced in effectiveness as each burst is just targeting 1 or two soldiers also.

So, for a 12 man squad, spread out and advancing towards the enemy, you would have a 60 meter width. That would be 6 action spots. I doubt the game could spread out troops realistically. In defense, we were spread out even further from each other but we used two man fighting positions.

I hope the future 3.0 version of the game reduces the action spot size. Something like 4 meters or so.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Looks like someone is talking themselves into something...

Unread Today, 11:41 AM
Administrator

We never intended to support the previous v1.x beyond any immediate, short term technical problems caused by changes in OSes or what not. Provided they could be reasonably addressed. I had also hoped we could back a few of the v2.0 fixes as a one time "gift" to the v1.x crowd. But it didn't turn out that way for two reasons:

1. Pretty much all players who are still interested in playing have upgraded.

2. The fixes were not easily backed into the old v1.x code base.

It is simply not worth our limited time and resources to fix things for a handful of people that haven't upgraded but still play CMBN. If they REALLY like playing the game and REALLY want the fixes then why haven't they upgraded? Further, why should the vast and overwhelming majority of paying customers have their game experience harmed by us being distracted supporting a handful of people who are no longer paying customers?

Sure, in a perfect world we'd continue to patch older games to fix bugs. But we all live in the real world and that's just not practical to do. So we patch the games until they are stable and playable. No game, no piece of software, is ever bug free and perfect. At some point we have to declare our past games "good enough" and move on.

Steve

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
My understanding is that he is just throwing the following customers under the bus:

1. CMBN guys that have been patched into 1.11 and not upgraded
2. CMBN+CW guys that have been patched into 1.11 and not upgraded

CMFI guys are already 2.0 and safe from Steve's cutting them off. And they should get a patch?

In all honesty, these customers can drop dead for all I care. I am invested in CMBN+2.0+MG for a reason. I knew that they finally would have a product I wanted in 2013. I waited for them to fix the big problems and incorporate the CMx1 goodness and then I liked the price drop. So, I feel that the 80 smackers was worth it.

But to be fair to the CMBN or CMBN+CW slackers, they should offer the Upgrade, and therefore the ability to patch to machinegun improvement, for 5 bucks at this point. This could bring along these potential future customers and its good PR. These suckers paid full price and they can't even play the Market Garden demo since it isn't out yet.

Oh, what a tangled web we weave...

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Come join me in the wonderful world of tabletop games, which got off their asses at the warning howls of PC wargaming 10 years ago, shook themselves awake, and easily tore the throats out of stubborn joints like BFC.

"Cast off the gourd and follow the shoe!"

Seriously folks. CM is a dead parrot. Leave it be and play Combat Commander and its ilk and actually have fun with games that can produce both thrills and historical results. Let Steve alone to mumble to himself about the strawberries - he's a lost cause.

-dale

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well I bought a new bass guitar, GW2 and I'll snipe WitP as soon as it's < $80.

If BFC makes an official offer to have the Mac+Win versions for one purchase or at a reasonable upcharge I'll do the Italy bundle.

[hirr]Leto

Varmint Croonie
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well I bought a new bass guitar, GW2 and I'll snipe WitP as soon as it's < $80.

If BFC makes an official offer to have the Mac+Win versions for one purchase or at a reasonable upcharge I'll do the Italy bundle.
I bought a Mercedes GLK 350. It runs much more smoothly than Combat Mission. It's the 4matic AWD... and there aren't as many fanbois on the message board.

Cheers!

Leto

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Looks like someone is talking themselves into something...
We are going to revamp some of the CMx2 bundles to use the current patches. However, we are not going to offer a specific Bundle for CMBN v1.x and CMBN v2.x. Instead we will continue to offer them separately to keep things simple for people. Let me explain...

We want to offer people a lower cost entry point into CM by allowing people to buy the previous (unsupported) version at a $10 discount. Customers can then buy the Upgrade on it's own for $10 or buy it as part of a Module Bundle and save $5.

These options give customers the most amount of flexibility in terms of what they wind up with and how much it costs them. They can purchase all these things at once, or they can purchase them separately over time.

What customers can not do is have several specific bundle options where a particular combination of products are available with one click. That's because it is impractical for us to build, test, host, and maintain an ever expanding set of downloads each and every time we make a patch or a new release. Back in the old days of just one product line it was easy to do this, now it's simply not.

Steve
Uh, didn't he just say the hell with the 1.0 crowd? Oh, they are the old 1.0 crowd. Not the new 1.0 crowd. Yep, makes sense now.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
[hirr]Leto;1641022 said:
I bought a Mercedes GLK 350. It runs much more smoothly than Combat Mission. It's the 4matic AWD... and there aren't as many fanbois on the message board.

Cheers!

Leto
I bought a new leather jacket and it has five pockets! Yes five.....

Tanker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
[hirr]Leto;1641022 said:

Cheers!

Leto
You'll need that in that polar hell called Saskatoon in which you live.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This seems like the thread for this.......

BFC has announced a "theater in a box" that people around here expressed interest in, for CMBN. The entire series and upgrade for $95.

If you don't have the game and have interest in it, this might make a nice xmas gift.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Hey, Babalugats. We got a bet here.

And this don't count towards the bet. It's just a rummage sale I tell ya!

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Definitely does not could for the bet. I've been meaning to drop you a note saying g I lost and asking where and how to make good on the bet.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Definitely does not could for the bet. I've been meaning to drop you a note saying g I lost and asking where and how to make good on the bet.
How about double or nothing? If the Eagles make the post season you win (nothing). If not, I get drunker?

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How about double or nothing? If the Eagles make the post season you win (nothing). If not, I get drunker?
Nah. I want to pay off, fair and square. The way the Eagles are playing they're a lock for a wild card slot and will probably win the division. I lost and will make good.