$142, spend or not

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I used to buy all BFC releases, at least CM, but I've been slacking off.

In front of me is a $142 shopping cart with the missing stuff:
- CMSF British forces
- CMA (Afghanistan)
- CMFI + Gustav
- $12 shipping

Wondering whether I should pull the trigger.

The major thing that nags me is that I would have to do it all over again for my Mac. Quite frankly I'm not happy that they don't allow me to share my one-person license between my desktop and my mac laptop although I can do so between my desktop and my windows laptop (not that I have one).

Other games are usually dual platform in that situation, and for a reason, I can't imagine they get a lot of extra sales from people who buy both. Not saying there's nobody but those must be true fans who buy all releases anyway.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I used to buy all BFC releases, at least CM, but I've been slacking off.

In front of me is a $142 shopping cart with the missing stuff:
- CMSF British forces
- CMA (Afghanistan)
- CMFI + Gustav
- $12 shipping

Wondering whether I should pull the trigger.

The major thing that nags me is that I would have to do it all over again for my Mac. Quite frankly I'm not happy that they don't allow me to share my one-person license between my desktop and my mac laptop although I can do so between my desktop and my windows laptop (not that I have one).

Other games are usually dual platform in that situation, and for a reason, I can't imagine they get a lot of extra sales from people who buy both. Not saying there's nobody but those must be true fans who buy all releases anyway.
If it were me? At this point I would pass on BF and the Afghan game, mostly because too much has changed with the game engine. The Italian games are another story... I love playing with them because of the old vehicles. The takettes with canister rounds are kinda neat. Also, I'd factor in your interest in the theater (which applies to all the titles you've mentioned).

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I think that it's a whole lot of money for what your getting. First off, I would not get any of the older games, just not the same quality there. Second, I've not got the Gustav games or Italy ones. My opinion being that they are just far too similar to CMBN fir the money that BF want and the Italians small window of involvement just doesn't justify it for me.

im even holding off on MG because I'm not sure I either need it and I actually do think it's become a pretty expensive pastime as it's a module and they want almost a new game price for it. I think they are slowly pricing their modules beyond me, the average player.

i find myself playing the games less and less each week, almost to the point of disinterest lately. They just don't hold the same appeal to me as they once did and I think this has a lot to do with the lack of community involvement compared to ten years ago.

in sum, I think I can find other things to justify spending the money on.......

phil395

Reaction score
Country
ll
I think it's a lot of money. I'd want a whole lot more flexibility about how/where/when I can install plus better depth and breadth of gameplay.
For me, I stopped after buying all the CMSF modules.

Rule_303

Reaction score
JasonC speaks for me. As much as I did enjoy the (fixed) CMSF and CMBN, my gaming money is staying in my pocket until the stuff he noted gets addressed, and they add some kind of AI trigger.

"Yes there are occasions in which a whole battalion was destroyed in a day's fighting. There are occasions on the Russian front where a whole regiment was destroyed in a day's fighting, and plenty in which a Russian rifle division was destroyed in 2-3 days. But this did not happen *every time*, and in CM today, it does.

Casualties are higher in CM than in the real combat it depicts. All the cherry picking in the world can't change that fact.

I for one use CM to simulate entirely bog-standard tactical combat in the European theater in WW II. I do not exclusively simulate the first day of the Somme, or Omaha beach on D-Day. But the casualty rates seen in *every* CM scenario are those of the Somme or Omaha beach.

It is busted, it is wrong, it is broken, it is inaccurate, it is false. Stop making excuses and admit it, already.

Faithful modeling would be fun gaming. But we have never seen it in tactical scale games with this degree of realism. Design for effect gets these things right effortlessly, because it bases its assessments on what actually happens in the real world, not on engineering abstractions that get only a few of the variables right. But it generally does so on a larger scale than this, and with less immersion detail.

As for what isn't present - yes to cover seeking and self preservation. Yes to micro terrain. But also much more confusion, much less firing, much briefer exposures. Men don't bunch as much in areas that can take fire. They are reluctant to expose themselves to use weapons of marginal impact on the battle.

The true sighting ability prone or making full use of cover is greatly impaired, and is the usual state once fire has opened. Men take cover when they merely *hear* fire, even when it is not directed at them, personally. They continue their mission with reluctance and delay when convinced the fire is not directed at them, and when it is located, and when they trust what they are being asked to do, tactically.

Leaders routinely advance and find that half their men didn't move.

Said leaders either go back and try to rose them, or go on with a few braver men, or they and perhaps some of those braver men get themselves shot very quickly. In the latter case, those around them spend the next *half hour* evac-ing casualties and do not try again, a solid majority of the time.

Detailed combat reports say things like, you can only hear the Brens or the MG42s at any given time, but almost never both going at once. Because when one takes up the song, heads go down over on the other side of the field, and they stay there until the clip is out or the belt fire pauses.

The periods of time in which both sides are within 100 or even 200 yards, are both "heads up", can both see identified enemy personnel in their positions, and both are pulling triggers trying to kill the other side with aimed fire - which is the *norm* in most minutes of CM action - are very very brief in real combat. The most exposed men get shot quickly in that situation, without delivering very much fire. The sides then "LOS separate" - everyone in the mutual sighting zone is dead or ducks. More duck than die, but what they don't do is duck for two seconds and then keep firing for 10 minutes to hit their opposite number.

The tactics required of CM players are better than arcade video games or FPS twitch fests. They are not yet the tactics required of even men in MILES gear in training, let only in real combat with death on the line.

We can all acknowledge that CM is the best we've seen to date, in the engineering - fidelity to detail approach, at all this stuff, without pretending it is perfect. It isn't, we know it isn't, and we can see the places where it is still idealized. All I ask is that people face these things objectively, eyes wide open, and drop the excuses.

First, completely agree with "people take cover".

"military training and group cohesion make for different behavior"

They try to. If the enemy is exposed enough and the men have confidence that their weapons can protect themselves by taking out the enemy, everyone will fire (contra myths spread by Marshall e.g.) That does come up, especially in static defense situations against reckless attackers. In other words, military training can suffice to get men to expose themselves when "expose themselves" means stand in a foxhole or put their head up around cover while prone and basically a tough target, to shoot their weapon at a seen, exposed enemy.

But that is a pretty limited set of circumstances, and requires a particularly dumb attacker to be relevant for a lot of your force. (Dumb attackers definitely happened - and Darwin got rid of the dumb).

The other place where training and group cohesion can make for different behavior is in a formation not under direct fire, but hearing it, managing to keep moving due to veterans within that force, frantic urgings by non coms and officers, and a clear improvement possible in the tactical position, clear enough and near enough that the individual men can see the point. Where less trained men would go to ground and stay there, confused, trying to figure out what was happening and what, if anything, it was safe to attempt, better led and more experienced men can stay up and advance to a better position, trusting their local leaders and their "read" of the situation, with their lives.

But that has definite limits. If the fire is directed at the men, it gets much harder even with that urging and direction. If the fire is killing some of those leaders who are exposing themselves to continue the movement, the trust between men and leaders is easily overwhelmed by fear. Leadership devolves to its most primitive form, literal example. Sarge did it and he didn't die, maybe it isn't completely crazy.

But usually only a portion of the men are that aware and capable of even that much confidence. It takes truly superior training and experience to do better at that, and it is the mark of especially effective forces that they can accomplish it. In CM terms, it is something only well led veterans can be expected to do.

On CM being fun gaming now, definitely agree. And yes, it has improved over the years. Being objective about how far it has come and what could still be improved is how it has done so; overestimating the former and underestimating the latter would tend to stall that trajectory. Let's help keep it going...

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Too early to read so much on my dead sexy phone but I find the comment about casualty rates weird. It is a game, right? I don't see any difference in casualty rates between CMBN, ASL, CMx1, Steel Panthers or any other tactical level game I've played. Is it higher than Panzer Command? Is it realistic? I don't know. Is it higher than I am used to? No. Additionally if high casualty rates bug you, a scenario can be created to penalize and/or reward you for force preservation. It seemed like almost all the scenarios in the last couple CMSF modules seemed to have this for the Blue side. This feature was not removed from CMBN. I usually go into a battle with a scenario in my head that usually includes the words "at all costs". That's why there is a time limit, I figure.

Rule_303

Reaction score
Elvis, I am SO freeking sick of that lame red herring excuse: "Dude, it's only a game, lighten up. Anyway, simulating real combat is futile anyway. Ergo, your concerns can be disregarded."

So fine, in that case let's just all go play Call of Duty or chess and screw it. No, BFC/CM has been working hard for 15 years to provide a solid representation of battalion-company level tactical command, catering to a niche but decoted following to whom such things matter. And Passchendaele bloodbaths the normal result due to pixeltroops shooting it out OK Corral style just are wrong. Even playing brittle Green troops both sides you get this result. BFC don't need to destroy the gaming experience to dial it back; that might annoy a few twitch types who think war = paintball, but so what?

That may not matter to YOU, fine, by your own admission you don't care much about history anyway. I wish you joy.

Jason is right; it is a project worth finishing right. They are closer than ever but major work remains. And I've hit my limit with the current product. I will financially support progress on the fronts that matter to me. Others may choose differently, but frankly most gamers are idiots and BFC products won't hold their interest.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I didn't mean it to sound like "it's a game..get over it". What I mean is with a game depicting that level of combat there needs to be a combination of action and strategy. Far more strategy than something like Call of Duty and far more action than something like Harpoon. Both fun games for what they are. The fun of these games, for me is to Out Wit, Out Last and Out Play my opponent (yes, I auditioned at a casting call for Survivor last week. In the unlikely event I make it onto the show I'll let you know) and sometimes to do that you have to break a few eggs. And with CMSF Blue casualties were usually very low...even if it wasn't part of the victory conditions. As you point out, I am not a historian and can't say with degree of knowledge that the casualty rates are realistic. Wouldn't bother trying. My point was that they don't seem different t than any other game of this scale I've ever played and don't know how many units you sell if that number changes in a significant way or if the game is still fun to play.

Rule_303

Reaction score
Like Jason and pretty much everyone else I am not expecting perfect fidelity; not expecting every dude to behave like a typical 1944 era 20 year old either. But as the game is right now I can rarely use real WWII small unit tactics, at least not with infantry, and achieve historically believable results. [EDIT: yes, I can on the attack, but it takes ridiculous amounts of micro. Defending realistically is pretty hopeless -- see below] Yes, I can do fire and movment and overwatch and the MG fix helped a lot even though Jason and others had to hammer like hell to get the fanbois to admit anything could possibly be off. Yes, I can (imperfectly) coordinate infantry, arty and armor, and all the stuff in that Army bird's great series of how-to videos. Fine, yes, awesome, that's why this game is still pretty much the best tactical wargame out there.

But the results are still off; total victory (and annihilation of the enemy) through massive fire superiority is too readily achieved. And the breakdowns are at squad and man level, just as Jason catalogs. Men stay up shooting too long; they rally too quick; they charge into fire too readily.

Pair that with 'cover' that is basically big prettied up 3d polygons, plus a layer of 'fudge factor' for microterrain and nerfing of bursts around the hex center dots (action spots), and you get an accelerated destruction of men in cover by shooters who are far away. Lather rinse repeat across dozens of small firefights and you get the Antietam body countsobserved by the big J-meister.

Last edited:

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I think that with some tweaking AND some OPTIONAL settings, most parties could be happy.

I looked up the actual casualties to the British airborne units in Market Garden. Many units casualties for the whole operation can be exceeded in a CM style battle.

I haven't read through this whole thread, mostly because I think what I say is more interesting than what I read, but I think another CMx1 'feature' could be used to address this issue. Namely, the 'Campaign' style battles. But with a twist.

I would like to see these battles fought with a trigger that would stop the fighting 'mid-game'. This would simulate one or the others side becoming out of command/control, excessive casualty rates as a function of time (simply put, too many lost in too few turns), attacker using up ammo too quickly, etc.

The pause in the scenario would be very much like the old 'campaign' play in CMx1. Units could change position, possible ammo reallocation, defenders or attackers might get/lose assets, etc. From my reading of the MG battle, it seemed this was how the fighting went. Both sides pressed whatever advantage they could.

So, a designer could make a battle that had a 'casualty-rate-of-change' setting that shows a sensitivity to casualties per rate of time. This models the need to sort out the remaining troops, reorg, evacuate casulties, get another plan together, etc. Things that might offset or negate a 'pause-in-battle' might be inflicting enemy casualties, taking an objective, etc. (I love using etc.)

I still think 'orders' need something like a delay. I always think the delay should be based on the complexity and overall platoon 'command-load' that is ordered. An example is a short hunt order. It is modeling a small unit drill that is easily relayed and executed. It's delay would be minimal to nil. Something like a grand scheme of multiple waypoints and additional commands at those waypoints, this would compute, at a platoon level, to a base delay for the jump off. Any built in delay (pause) that is commanded is put on top of that. The hyper-attack mode of alien intelligence is somewhat thwarted. There is just too much coordination, given the amount of increased time that the CMx2 games model, for my taste.

Rule_303

Reaction score
I haven't read through this whole thread, mostly because I think what I say is more interesting than what I read, but I think another CMx1 'feature' could be used to address this issue. Namely, the 'Campaign' style battles.
LoL, self-mockery is a lifeline to sanity.

Interesting ideas. I think your first sentence is right: Difficulty settings shouldn't just increase FOW, it should make the troops (and tanks) dumber, blinder, slower and more timid, (maybe with Elite carved off as hero types who always execute orders at any setting, until they break or die). You're still left with the lame cover modeling but I live in hope that will eventually get a fix.

Last edited:

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Here is an example for losing assets...

You are playing an attacker that has the following armor:
StuGx2
StuHx1
Halftrackx3

He loses one StuG. This does not trigger a game 'HALT' but does penalize the StuG platoon with delays on movement orders.

The player then loses, in a matter of a couple turns, another StuG, and most of the halftracks (to my valiant antitank gun). This not only puts a 'HALT' on the game, but the remaining StuG might be lost as an asset (withdrawn or forced to recall back to its setup point). The remaining StuG complains, rightfully so, about how Major Elvistien, has killed off most of his comrades and he will be needed to defend at this point. My valiant antitank gun can be repositioned (to an acceptable location) given its transport available and may then shoot up the "Wurst Panzer Commander: Major Elvistien" remaining infantry.

Fleischer

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
To JasonC's posts: Amen. I figured out that for myself two years ago, though. And when I found out through testing that there was barely any simulation of infantry cover at all, my last illusions were gone.

I do find myself returning to the series from time to time, usually because I have friends that want PBEM. However, every time I do, there seems to be some hazzle or something new that is bothering me and that makes me put the game away again very quickly. I *want* to like the game, but I just can't force myself to it.

As to spending $142 on this, I would say: Are you insane? Even if money grew on trees I would not do that, because it would be telling one of the few developers out there that could possibly make the game I think most of us here wants that they shouldn't do it, and instead urge them to continue making the hybrid Command&Conquer/Bullet Trajectory Simulation they are making now.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Well, at least on that front there is some movement:
http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=112097

"Unfortunately, at the moment these are two entirely different products, that need to be bought and installed separately. We hope to be able to offer unified purchases in the future, but there are some technical hurdles to be overcome.

We do however offer a discount if you purchase the same game for a second platform. Email sales@battlefront.com for details."

That would go a long way toward me getting a friendlier attitude again. Lately I had found myself at odds with pretty much every single one of their policies, starting with a DRM that disables your game when plug in a joystick or USB soundcard. If there's at least a little bit of movement toward being more customer friendly that's much better than flatlining at 0%.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Like Jason and pretty much everyone else I am not expecting perfect fidelity; not expecting every dude to behave like a typical 1944 era 20 year old either. But as the game is right now I can rarely use real WWII small unit tactics, at least not with infantry, and achieve historically believable results. [EDIT: yes, I can on the attack, but it takes ridiculous amounts of micro. Defending realistically is pretty hopeless -- see below] Yes, I can do fire and movment and overwatch and the MG fix helped a lot even though Jason and others had to hammer like hell to get the fanbois to admit anything could possibly be off. Yes, I can (imperfectly) coordinate infantry, arty and armor, and all the stuff in that Army bird's great series of how-to videos. Fine, yes, awesome, that's why this game is still pretty much the best tactical wargame out there.

But the results are still off; total victory (and annihilation of the enemy) through massive fire superiority is too readily achieved. And the breakdowns are at squad and man level, just as Jason catalogs. Men stay up shooting too long; they rally too quick; they charge into fire too readily.

Pair that with 'cover' that is basically big prettied up 3d polygons, plus a layer of 'fudge factor' for microterrain and nerfing of bursts around the hex center dots (action spots), and you get an accelerated destruction of men in cover by shooters who are far away. Lather rinse repeat across dozens of small firefights and you get the Antietam body countsobserved by the big J-meister.
Very well said.

The issues are real, whether the fanbois admit it or not, but the game is not even close to hopeless.

I still think the core of the problem is that the game with it's 1:1 and action spot craze is too complex and complicated for a single programmer. So the single programmer spends all the time firefighting harder bugs and has no time to tinker with actual combat mechanics. Steve then saying things that have nothing to do with what Charles will end up doing really doesn't help.

Fleischer

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
I still think the core of the problem is that the game with it's 1:1 and action spot craze is too complex and complicated for a single programmer. So the single programmer spends all the time firefighting harder bugs and has no time to tinker with actual combat mechanics. Steve then saying things that have nothing to do with what Charles will end up doing really doesn't help.
Another factor I think is important is that if you're going to make a game that simulates the real mechanics of tactical combat: tactical decisions, retreats, the front lines bulging back and forth etc., you need a decent AI. If you don't have that AI, you're left with a game that has static units just sitting there waiting to kill or be killed, or for the headcount to drop from 12 to 4, at which point the unit will escape a few yards back in a random direction. In such a game you might as well give the units health bars instead, because that would fundamentally serve the same purpose. In such a game, tactical maneuvers become unimportant, and the meat of the game becomes something that is not very different from mainstream RTS games: point, click, kill.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another factor I think is important is that if you're going to make a game that simulates the real mechanics of tactical combat: tactical decisions, retreats, the front lines bulging back and forth etc., you need a decent AI. If you don't have that AI, you're left with a game that has static units just sitting there waiting to kill or be killed, or for the headcount to drop from 12 to 4, at which point the unit will escape a few yards back in a random direction. In such a game you might as well give the units health bars instead, because that would fundamentally serve the same purpose. In such a game, tactical maneuvers become unimportant, and the meat of the game becomes something that is not very different from mainstream RTS games: point, click, kill.
Don't get me started on that item. I've been cruising around the wargaming community for more than a decade trying to convince somebody to let me plug a programmed opponent into an existing game. It's not that this is outrageously exotic, every Quake clone starting from the original in 1996 supports that. Instead the wargame developers prefer to further neglect progress on the combat mechanics while they come up with some lame AI. That from then on is another maintenance item.

Fleischer

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Don't get me started on that item. I've been cruising around the wargaming community for more than a decade trying to convince somebody to let me plug a programmed opponent into an existing game. It's not that this is outrageously exotic, every Quake clone starting from the original in 1996 supports that. Instead the wargame developers prefer to further neglect progress on the combat mechanics while they come up with some lame AI. That from then on is another maintenance item.
What I think could be easily done is a "reversal" of the current scripted AI, so that not only would it be able to advance along a given path and halt at a certain threshold, but also retreat at a certain threshold along that same path. This would also require some basic decision-making, so that retreats won't occur in the middle of a barrage etc., and also that units choose the correct facing when they arrive at a previous waypoint. I don't think any of this would require more than a medium amount of effort in the form of coding, but it would add much to the dynamics of the game. With enemy units that actually react to your decisions and have the ability to evolve in a different way than simply reducing its headcount you will get a very different game. With such a game you can begin adding realistic weapon lethality and casualty rates, because the game is no longer *only* about destroying units and removing their flag from the map.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What I think could be easily done is a "reversal" of the current scripted AI, so that not only would it be able to advance along a given path and halt at a certain threshold, but also retreat at a certain threshold along that same path. This would also require some basic decision-making, so that retreats won't occur in the middle of a barrage etc., and also that units choose the correct facing when they arrive at a previous waypoint. I don't think any of this would require more than a medium amount of effort in the form of coding, but it would add much to the dynamics of the game. With enemy units that actually react to your decisions and have the ability to evolve in a different way than simply reducing its headcount you will get a very different game. With such a game you can begin adding realistic weapon lethality and casualty rates, because the game is no longer *only* about destroying units and removing their flag from the map.
Yes, absolutely. Bringing in a couple of dumb but hopefully working things, then playtesting the heck out of them (AI versus AI) and dumping those where the second part didn't work out would already be a huge improvement. But with the AI code tied to the game code you can't have independent anything.