12.33 [HIP] Fortifications

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
"Fortifications...remain hidden until...a Good Order enemy ground unit gains a LOS to its Location and is within 16 hexes..."

So if my foxhole is HIP, does that give me carte blanche to check LOS to every GO enemy unit within 16 hexes to see if the foxhole is revealed? Or does "gains a LOS to its Location" mean something specific?

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Yes, carte blanche is indeed yours. Of course your opponent will also be very aware of where your HIP foxhole is by this stage! :D

Generally, common-sense prevails. I usually eye up potential LOS's mentally and only if it's close will I actually check the LOS... after all, I don't want to give away the location of my foxhole. And besides, as the defender with HIP fortifications you (usually) have unlimited LOS checks before the attacker sets up anyway therefore don't have anything to gain.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
VASL, baby. They know nuuuuuuth-hink.

I'm just thinking about MPh. With the enemy moving around, someone is bound to be in LOS of my foxholes and it may or may not be the right time to shoot them. I can see how face-to-face can present dilemmas. But that is why you put some empty foxholes in odd places to draw all that area fire. :devil:

WaterRabbit

Reaction score
Country
llGreenland
While a nice idea in theory, in practice if you have any dummy stacks and start trying this, you are giving away information to your opponent by telling him which concealed stacks contain units. Plus, in PTO this is not much help if the fortifications are in jungle, kunai, or bamboo.