101st underway

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
101st AD received deployment orders today (Thursday).

Apparently they literally ship, they are going to Jacksonville with all their equipment. So actual ground action is some weeks away.

Brillant insights by Yahoo: "The move comes as the United States assembles a large military force in the Gulf region for a possible war with Iraq.". Shocking news. Why do they do that?

Deltapooh

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Things could happen alot sooner. Bush appears to be aiming for a late February-Mid March timeline. However, wants the debate to be over by Feb 28. CENTCOM planners might opt to begin with a bombing operation, while SOF seize the western part of the country covertly. I hope I'm wrong on that though.

Any major attack on Iraq will likely result in SCUD attacks on Israel or maybe Turkey, and Kuwait. That could really cause problems. We shouldn't give him much time to think.

Marko

Reaction score
Country
ll
Originally posted by Deltapooh
Things could happen alot sooner. Bush appears to be aiming for a late February-Mid March timeline. However, wants the debate to be over by Feb 28. CENTCOM planners might opt to begin with a bombing operation, while SOF seize the western part of the country covertly. I hope I'm wrong on that though.

Any major attack on Iraq will likely result in SCUD attacks on Israel or maybe Turkey, and Kuwait. That could really cause problems. We shouldn't give him much time to think.
Alternatively don't attack him. Its always there as an option.

Tim McBride

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Marko

Alternatively don't attack him. Its always there as an option.
Unfortunetly I think the whole point is moot now. With the deployment of the 10st1 and other units, plus the US stance, I think we've reached the point of no return.

God help us all; I hope we are making the right decesion.

_Tim

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Has anyone any idea where the 101st is going to be deployed? Like are they going to northern Iraq or Kuwait? If they are going by ship and are going to help the Kurds and to keep an eye on the Turks it could be a month before they are deployed and ready for combat. Looks more and more like that the War will start later this month with massive air attacks, seizure of the southern oil fields straddling the Kuwaiti border, followed by a rapid advance on Basra. The western desert will be combed by SOF + USAF for any sign of SCUDS. Once the major units are all deployed in theatre, say mid March, the advance on Baghdad will begin. The city will of course be bombed round the clock every day to reduce the nerves of the garrison to jelly, while the civilian population flees in great numbers. With Saddams regime crumbling visibly around him he might choose exile at this point or a Coup will overthrow him, thus saving the allied troops from having to become bogged down in an " Arab Stalingrad '' as Tariq Aziz promises any invaders.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have the feeling that this ship thingy was deception. If you follow stories now you don't see any reference for the men deployed by ship anymore.

In any case, the helos seem to go by ship, but it could very well be that the men are put into commercial airliners and arrive to use equipment already in-theatre.

Unfortunately nobody had any info how many helicopters were prepositioned in the middle east. Globalsecuity lists about 800 MBTs and as many Bradleys which are there for months now, but no info on helicopters.

I have read earlier claims that the 101st would be one of the two divisions which the Turks allow to pass, towards the northern oilfiels, and that the 82nd will size western Iraq to get the Scuds out of Isreal's reach (amoung other units, of course).

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Fair point about deception deployments, there are bound to be a few surprises when the fighting starts. It's true that troops are flying in. I know because many are coming through Shannon, much to the chagrin of some!
Whatever about Helis being deployed in advance they are more than likely in Kuwait and the Gulf region. Unless of course the US has secretly shipped them into Turkey already!
As far as I can see just one Brigade of the 82nd is allocated to this campaign, but again that could be more 'fog of war' being thrown up to disguise true intent.
My favorite 'disinformation' one dates from the Six-day war of 1967. With the crises reaching breaking point the Israelis had mobilized their armed forces. However it looked like behind the scenes negotiations might yet resolve the situation. The Israeli Army in light of this decided to publicly stand down some of the reservists, all filmed for world wide TV so everyone could see that their intentions were entirely peaceful! The next day the IDF struck, decimating the EAF and in Six days achieving a remarkable military victory by any standards.
Alas for the people of Israel/Palestine, that military victory did not bring peace but just more hatred and violence to the region.

tigersqn

WWII Forum Staff
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've heard the 101st deploying in through southern Turkey and securing the northern oilfields in the early stages of the war.

The 82nd may or may not have only 1 Bde in theatre but you have to remember that they have the ability to deploy from Bragg and jump straight into combat; they may do this to secure the western desert.