There is no F117?
There is no F16?
There is no Mig15/F86?

There is no Bf109?
There is no IL2?
There is no X15?

And there is no F22?

well... what do you expect me to say?
I can understand why many of those were not picked.

What's there to say about the F16 that couldn't have been said about the F15, F4, etc? Nice aircraft, but didn't change aviation.

The Me-262 was the first real combat jet, so again, what did the Mig15/F86 really change?

Same again for Bf109 and Il2. I do disagree with the selection of the P-51, but understand why the author picked it.

The X-1 changed aviation, the X-15 didn't.

The one suggestion of yours that I really do agree with is the F-117. That did change aviation, or at least combat aviation.

The only other suggestion I might have is the UH-1 Iroquois. Sure, it's not a "plane" but it is an aircraft and it did change military aviation.

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
Originally posted by DingBat
I can understand why many of those were not picked.

What's there to say about the F16 that couldn't have been said about the F15, F4, etc? Nice aircraft, but didn't change aviation.

The Me-262 was the first real combat jet, so again, what did the Mig15/F86 really change?

Same again for Bf109 and Il2. I do disagree with the selection of the P-51, but understand why the author picked it.

The X-1 changed aviation, the X-15 didn't.

The one suggestion of yours that I really do agree with is the F-117. That did change aviation, or at least combat aviation.

The only other suggestion I might have is the UH-1 Iroquois. Sure, it's not a "plane" but it is an aircraft and it did change military aviation.
yep, I was teasing the article :D ...
But I think F16 should be one. It is different from F15/F14/F18/F4 etc... because it is the first combat plane using FLY BY WIRE technology. That really changed the meaning of "manueveability" in the air.

Mig15/F86/IL2/Bf109 they are just famous planes, you are right, they might changed something in the war process, but nothing in aviation. :D ...

X-15 was for fun :) ... but it may change the aviation tomorrow --- the earliest hypersonic craft. NASA is now researching the next generation hypersonic aircrafts, I do not know if they base anything on X15.

F117 apparently is due to its revolutionary stealth feature. Well, one can still argue it is not about how to fly. Thus it is not "aviation".

However, F22, I must insist. Supercruise/Supermanueverability/Stealth combined MUST change the combat aviation. Making all previous conventional designs obselete. If that is not "Change", what is change?