1 trillion dollar deficit this year and all-time record debt of 22 trillion

Sand Bar Bill

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Where are all those conservatives to complain about the deficit/debt like they did with Obama all the time? Not a big deal when it is caused by Republican tax cuts (2001, 2003 and 2017) I guess.

We live in a hippo-ocracy. (Get it?)

Too bad the nation didn't vote liberal, we might actually have leaders who cared about a properly functioning government. Because that is a goal of liberalism. A broken government is the goal of conservatives (all the better to drown it in a bathtub, regardless of the misery it may cause).

----
Reference:

“Total public debt climbed to more than $22 trillion as of Feb. 11, according to a Treasury Department report Tuesday.”

USA Today: “The national debt has been rising at a faster rate following the passage of President Trump’s $1.5 trillion tax-cut package a little more than a year ago and as the result of congressional efforts to increase spending on domestic and military programs. The nation has added more than $1 trillion in debt in the last 11 months alone.”

Last edited:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I still do not understand why the democrats don't undercut the republicans and come out for a massive tax cut for the middle class paid for by a massive tax increase for the upper class. All the whinners about tax and spend democrats would be shut up while giving some relief to the people that really need it. It would not help the deficit at all, but would restore some progression to the tax system so that the rich pay what they can afford, not just a little bit more that the rest of us.

Sand Bar Bill

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Democrats: tax and spend
Republicans: spend and cut
I love the Jay Leno joke from years ago: Democrats are tax and spend. Republicans are spend and spend.

Meanwhile, radio silence from the conservatives remain in effect as to their current wrecking of the country's finances.