1/2" mortars and smoke

Bocko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok, I have heard both sides and still cannot find in the rules.

Can 1/2" mortars fire smoke? I know if the counter mentions WP it can fire that but what about regular good cover smoke? And if it can at what strength if fired first during PrepFirePh?

Thanks
Bocko :?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Bocko said:
Ok, I have heard both sides and still cannot find in the rules.

Can 1/2" mortars fire smoke? I know if the counter mentions WP it can fire that but what about regular good cover smoke? And if it can at what strength if fired first during PrepFirePh?

Thanks
Bocko :?
Depends on if they have a Smoke depletion number (as in "S8" for example) on the counter (usually on the back unless the counter had a limbered side to it).

If it has a depletion number, it can. Otherwise, it can't.

Note that German 50mm mortars and US 60mm mortars do not have smoke depletion numbers. The 60 has a WP number in '45 (if memory serves....)

Jazz

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Smoke, like any other special ammo, would be listed on the back of the counter-even a 1/2" counter. I think the Japanese Type 89 is the only SW Mortar that can fire Smoke (it has a depletion # of 7). A few can fire WP. Check the Chapter H notes for that particular Mortar to be sure. Otherwise, no Smoke.

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
Chas Argent said:
I think the Japanese Type 89 is the only SW Mortar that can fire Smoke (it has a depletion # of 7).

The Brit 2" (in both its incarnations) has s7. And people moan about its crap range and crap ROF. Sigh :?