‘Best’ large scenario?

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
U26 Bald Hill

Maybe too small to be called Large (?) but it felt that way in playtest given numbers of boards(4), length (10 turns), vehicles, fortifications (PBs/FHs/Wire/RBs), guns, air support, OBA (pre-reg), FT and DCs.
[The 9Ge/2Ru ROAR record likely deters folks from trying this one. It's not that bad, though.]

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
"Raid on Rodminstev" VotG24 9-8 on ROAR. Thus if you are playing 2 v 2 or more could be done in 1 of your 12 hour sessions, thus freeing you to play at will. I played this 1 v 1 over 1.5 days...enjoyed it...
That is an AWESOME scenario, the Germans look invincible but believe me, they are not and smiling Fritz might not be so happy by scenario end. Great design by Tom, one of my all time Stalingrad favorites.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Road to Wiltz
Action at Balberkamp for multi-player.
Action at Balberkamp is another classic, one of the best scenarios ever for infantry movement over a pretty large area and often come down to the bitter end if you have the time and patience to finish it, it takes about 12 - 15 hours when I played it many years ago.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Point of no Return. A large "whirling Dervish" event with early war AFVs on both sides.

Furious Finn

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Have not played and also avoided bigger scenarios for long but recently played LFT's Inor7 Sauerei Wald - a fantastic one on a HASL map, actually 3 scenarios in one was a thriller for me playing the french. Alternative victory conditions keep german plans unpredictable all the way to the end.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
My opinion is certanly biaised because it is one of my creation but I think that FT220 Alsatian Verdun (30 squads against 40) is an interesting large scenario.

Lionel
Agreed. If the Allied player is very aggressive, the German player must be both skilled and rocking on his heels right up until the end. If the Allied attack is of average ferocity/risk-taking, a decent German player will experience the same. First large scenario that I noticed it appeared to be balanced for both elite matchups and average matchups. When two top-shelf players can achieve the same, basic gameflow and endgame as two average players, that is well balanced IMO. I'm not saying that other LG scenarios lack this parallel dynamic, I'm just saying that this was the first one that I noticed it.

The Free French flanking force added some great color to the palette as well.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
That is an AWESOME scenario, the Germans look invincible but believe me, they are not and smiling Fritz might not be so happy by scenario end. Great design by Tom, one of my all time Stalingrad favorites.
One of only a small handful of VotG scenarios I have yet to play. The upvotes on this one have me decided to play it rather sooner than later.

Hexagoner

Reaction score
CtR 17 "Clearing the Badlands"

The most fun monster scenario Ive ever played. The American player must play very aggressively and plan 2-3 turns in advance to have a shot. Several very different VCs must all be achieved. Uses the entire CtR map. Played it as each side, and enjoyed both sides immensely.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Anyone have a shot at Breaking Heartstrings from LCP? It is the Seaborne Assault scenario for Parry Island.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Somewhere recently online someone was talking about one that hasn't been mentioned here: 117 Maggot Hill

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Funnel of Death with a doubled OOB for both sides.
I have a good book on the orsha battle. Use 12 pt-34 with 8 t-34 for support, 12 KV, 10 ISU122, 10 ISU 152, 8 OT-34 ATO-42 , 10 SU-76M and two complete companies of Russian engineers, 1 company of smg (elite) 6-2- have them ride the KV's , engineers ride the ISU, 4 heavy weapon platoons, and 4 120mm mortars as well as the 82mm from the heavy weapon platoons.and double the 4-5-8,s you will need a lot to cover the run across the open ground. Use platoon movement for the entire force on both sides of the railway..do not stop.. you do you die. The germans are doubled , that means everything is doubled... you are looking at almost 95 afvs....it seems a lot but man is it fun....and for your russian arty...smoke smoke smoke , you need the steam roller to get from point a to point b in a good shape as possible.. make sure to save some of you PT SAND OT 'S AND ISUS FOR THE NEXT PHASE... the t-34 and kv are expendables