£150 deposit for preorders?

ehandlr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Its not just about their sales numbers. Its the PR. Shortages are gonna smack them...if they are sold on Ebay..then the shortages will be even greater. Remember, Ebay is not area specific..anyone in the world can buy from anywhere in the world.

Average consumer does not shop on Ebay. High end consumers WILL shop on Ebay.

The average consumer will be the ones stuck waiting for the next 45 shipments to get theirs.

Its funny...the system costs three times the amount of the preorder and people are complaining about it lol. You gotta pay it anways...suck it up. Oh and btw.. Sony did not make this preorder rule because they can not. The resellers have made this rule but it was requested by Sony.

Adamaniac 791

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yep, Sony don't want the average Joe who happens to have £425 in his pocket to spare to be put off buying a PS3 due to "shortages" at launch caused by people buying multiple PS3's and selling them via eBay for phenomenal prices that only crazy people would pay for. The average consumer will not be prepared to pay outlandish prices on eBay. (Then again the average consumer may not be prepared to pay £425 anyway... :rolleyes: ).

But it all boils down to public image, Sony don't want bad publicity due to people being unable to get a PlayStation 3 at launch. I personally think people should be limited to buying only one PS3 at a time during launch, that should stop some of them being bought for the purposes of being sold off at a large profit and therefore help to prevent shrinking the supply on store shelves.

ehandlr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You can't limit people who preorder from different stores. Which is why they took this stance. However...I'm willing to be shortages will occur even with the 425 price lol.

kaytronika

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Mr Ebay Seller isn't gonna say 'Hmm I would sell this for £800 on Ebay but it's gonna cost me £150 up front'

He's gonna pull his credit card out (probably newly applied for with his 6-month 0% APR too), order a couple and walk away with the profit... That's if it even gets to the point where shop customers are sticking them on Ebay. I seem to recall a lot of Xbox 360s being sold in bulk with a lot of rumours of shop managers putting them on Ebay.

As for me, I'm not pre-ordering and I'm gonna wait a while to see what I think of the console. None of the release titles appeal to me particularly and I'll get chance to try before I buy. If I have to wait 12 months then so be it, I need the money to get married anyway :D