Search results

1. B

Harwich Force's War

It took Commodore Bulletwhitt several minutes to pry his hands out of the ice on the rail of Arethusa's flag bridge, and several more carefully to chip away the longest icicles dangling from his moustache. This accomplished, he was then finally able to spit to leeward just before he gagged on...
  2. B

Mandzhur's Saga

Excerpts from the log of the Imperial Russian Gunboat Mandzhur: 9 Feb 1904 1630: Off Shanghai. Received cable from Adm. Stark re: unprovoked Japanese attack on Port Arthur, ordered to return to Port Arthur. Must leave Shanghai immediately, impossible to reply. Decide Japanese too strong...
  3. B

The Port Arthur Yacht Club

After reading Bill44's account of his slaughter of the PA clippers and gunboats, I had to post this up. Those little ships are some of my favorites. I call them the "Port Arthur Yacht Club". The attached pic shows just how dangerous they can be if there's a threat to their portfolios and...
  4. B

The Chitose Group Dies

I finally managed to kill the entire Chitose group in one battle, thanks to a combination of planning and luck. When I play as the Russians, these IJN cruisers are the bane of my existence, so lately I've made killing them one of my priorities. However, usually it takes me a couple of months...
  5. B

Night Fishing off Port Arthur

11 February 1904 would go down as a banner day for the Russian Far East Fleet. It was a day of revenge for the perfidious sneak attack on Port Arthur and its immediate aftermath at Chemulpo, which had done terrible damage. The cruiser Pallada and gunboat Koreyets had been sunk and other ships...
  6. B

Death by Moonlight

Commodore Bulletori was drunk :drink:. So were most of his men, for that matter, and who could blame them? They all felt intense dishonor at their present situation, consigned to manning obsolete corvettes with no chance either to win glory or redeem themselves. Bulletori was especially...
  7. B

Wooden Ship and Iron Men

Following the treacherous Japanese attack on Port Arthur before the declaration of war, the Russian gunboats immediately raised steam and slipped out to sea in the darkness. Their mission was to attempt to spy out the Japanese dispositions prior to sorties by the main Russian units. The...
  8. B

The Battle of Vladivostok

Excuse the blatant copying of Saddletank's style, but IMHO he's now set the standard for how to write AARs :). ============================== From the memoirs of Rear Admiral Bulletoshi: Dawn on 14 Feb 04 found my squadron continuing its blockade of Vladivostok. Our mission was to...
  9. B

Sai Yen: Torpedo Expert

I had them trapped like rats! At 0358, a raiding force composed of Angara, Boyarin, and 8 DDs had been spotted on the Korean coast SSW of Assan Basin by a slow cruiser unit composed of Chiyoda, Naniwa, and Takachiho. In the sharp, short night action, Chiyoda had all her guns knocked out but...
  10. B

My Own Damn IJN TBs

Just off the Assan Basin naval base, the guard flotilla of 8 1st class torpedoboats greated the dawn of 11 Feb 04 with cheers of "BANZAI!" Word had just been received that their colleagues in the Takeshiki and Masanpo flotillas had destroyed the Russian gunboat Mandzhur in the Tsushima Straits...
  11. B

Mandzhur's Last Stand

Over the first 5 days of the campaign, the doughty gunboat Mandzhur had been making her way slowly NE along the outer 2ndary shipping lane in the Sea of Japan. While all the cruisers from both Port Arthur and Vladivostok rampaged around the whole Sea of Japan and along the Korean coast...
  12. B

Varyag's Busy Day

When news of the Japanese attack at Port Arthur reached Cpt. Bulletkov of Varyag at 0045 on 9 Feb, he immediately parted company with the gunboat Koreyets and slipped out of Chemulpo. Although he planned to return to Port Arthur, he decided to spend some time first patrolling the east coast of...
  13. B

Admiral Bulletkov's AARs

After inspecting the Pacific Fleet and ordering it repainted in wartime colors, Admiral Bulletkov held a party aboard his flagship Tsessarevitch for his captains to celebrate the impending war. Truly, this would be a war of profound implications. Since Trafalgar, nearly a full century before...