Search results

1. R

Torch and Husky?

First of all, sorry if this is a FAQ, but I'm getting my head back into ASL after some long years. Now that we will have, soon, Hollow Legions and the desert war (not to mention the already available CdG) can we expect to see some Torch/Tunisia/Sicily (Allies vs. the remaining Italian forces)...
  2. R

Some pertinent news from MMP

Do all of these news about CdG mean that the Italian module - along with the desert rules - is still beyond the visible horizon?
  3. R

Hollow Legions III -

What I do find strange is that Hollow Legions + the Desert Rules would give you: - Initial clashes between Italians and the Commonwealth in the Western Desert - Greece - Afrika Korps - Torch - Tunisia - Sicily ...Plus, maybe, hypotheticals like an Italian invasion of Yugoslavia. Basically, a...
  4. R

Sales outside the Emporium?

First of all, sorry if this is a FAQ, but the link to the "Emporium Rules" is broken :) I'm selling some ASL products on BGG. Is it possible to warn people here that they are available on BGG or this would violate some rule? Thanks in advance for your answer!
  5. R

OK so ASL Starter Kit Expansion Pack #1 is back what else is coming.

Ironically, I started playing ASL thanks to Starplayer. In 2013 (IIRC) I bought the 2nd Ed. Rulebook, BV, FKaC and Rising Sun - throwing in ASLSK #1 as a form of tutorial. The problem was not the price I paid for the games - the problem was the price I paid to DHL to ship them back in Italy :D
  6. R

Items in production from MMP (ASL only)

I hope that the Italian/Desert module will be published soon(tm). It would "unlock" the Greek-Italian War, Western Desert, Torch, Tunisia, and the Italian Campaign. A lot of theaters for the price of a single module.
  7. R

Questions re MMP's Version of Soldiers of the Negus

Yes, that was the third occurrence (which also includes use of gas against cattle herds and other sources of food for Ethiopians). An interesting strategy devised by Italians was to use Yprite to "block" Ethiopians' routes of advance, sometimes even days before the expected enemy movements...
  8. R

Can you play SK scenarios with ASL rules?

I have them :) (I bought everything SK-related before moving on to ASL). What happened is that today I dusted the corner where my SKs now are, and I wondered if also the original scenarios were feasible (with the caveat of balance problems). Beside having a bunch more, they could be used to...
  9. R

Well, it is another way to better learn the in and outs of a system. No less than Stanley Kubrick himself once said that, when studying something, it is important to understand not only "what" an author put in his work (book, movie, game...) but also "why". And this can be an opportunity to...
  10. R

Red Factories/Red October Up For Preorder!

Yes, Valor. I have it because a friend of mine bought it three years ago but then gave it to me since he wasn't really into HASL (how he discovered this after buying the game is beyond me...) Anyway, I have this brand new copy of VotG which I never even opened. I don't even know which part of...
  11. R

Red Factories/Red October Up For Preorder!

I wonder if there will be a way to tie both RF and RO to Honor of the Guards... My knowledge of the events depicted is a bit rusty right now.
  12. R

I know that it doesn't work the other way around (playing ASL scenarios with only SK rules). But today I was looking at my SK collection (which introduced me to ASL) and I wondered if I could replay their scenarios "Redux". I guess that balance will go out of the door - but that would not be a...
  13. R

So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Ah! Sorry, my insomnia is catching up with me :D
  14. R

So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Gavin Take Both a classic and a good way to start playing with Yanks 2ed. The opening moves, as usual, are up to the Americans - which rolled well and started strangling my position. Then the winds of fate changed, and the Germans started to roll well too and pin dudes left and right...
  15. R

Questions re MMP's Version of Soldiers of the Negus

Italians never used gas in tactical battles. It was used as an operational interdiction weapon and, sometimes, against Ethiopian concentration of troops behind the front line - two occurrences beyond the scope of ASL. I read an interesting article on this topic some years ago, which dispelled a...
  16. R

Fury Review

It is an FAQ, but to me the answer is quite simple: Lets imagine that we saw the "truth" -i.e. lots of panzerfausts at the beginning but only a crate (notice the point: a crate) at the end. What I thought was that the panzerfausts were needed for a nearby battle (remember when Jason Isaacs...
  17. R

Fury Review

I liked it a lot and I think it is one of the best war movies ever made. The level of detail is unreal. A whole American field hospital (from the wounded to the nurses) is recreated so that it can be shown for all of FIVE SECONDS while the Fury enters a CP. There is a lot of bawl over the...
  18. R

Ghost in the Shell Snags Scarlett Johansson

*The* Major Kusanagi was the Polish actress who played the lead in "Avalon", a live Polish (!!) action movie by Oshii. Her name is Malgorzata Foremniak. Originally the part was written for a man, but when she auditioned for a secondary part Oshii rewrote the script with her as the lead. He later...
  19. R

Fury Review

I think that the German soldier behaviour would merit a deeper check of the laws of war of the time. For example, from the moment I saw the scene I had two objections: - The German wore an American coat, but also a lot of German equipment (helmet, trousers, boots...) - hardly a "disguise". Was...