Search results

1. H

BGC Vol 1 - Holding the Line - Success on the Thin Red Line

If I recall, in my game, which was quite a while ago, the T80s just kept coming until they stopped in front of my minefields. I think I had my assets deployed in a way that allowed the enemy to be spotted along all of the major axes of advance from quite a long distance. I can't remember the...
  2. H

Idea for Urban Terrain

Thanks Pat and Nick, I will start to do some testing of the concept. One thing that I am not clear on from reading the TSATC game info is how movement within a structure works. The info talks about the movement modifier being used for elements that cannot enter the structure. "Move...
  3. H

Idea for Urban Terrain

As it stands right now in ATF/AATF, urban terrain provides concealment but does not provide cover. You can create structures that will provide cover, however the engine cannot handle, nor would it be practical, to model every individual structure within a battlegroup area. I do feel that...
  4. H

Special Attribute - Discrete Time of Flight

Thanks for the quick reply. As a matter of curiosity, what was it going to model in the game - just literally the time it takes the round to reach the target, or was there a plan to factor it into accuracy?
  5. H

In the database for The Falklands War every single weapon has a Special Attribute - Discrete Time of Flight, which gives the m/s and round length. Other than the obvious inference that the game engine calculates how long it take,s in second,s for the round to hit its target - I am wondering if...
  6. H

Looking through the game data for weapons I noticed that The Falklands War is the only game to use the Special Attribute - Discrete Time of Flight - but it uses it for weapons that appear in other games also. Does anyone know how this attribute affects the game play?
  7. H

I think you really need to be in the right frame of mind to play this game. Unlike many games, I find these games require detailed study of the map/terrain and a great deal of time in laying out your initial positions and formulating a plan for what to do if things go wrong. Almost half of the...
  8. H

This was my second play through of this scenario. On the first time round I made my defensive line too far back and did not provide enough opportunity for long range fire. Here are the dispositions for a more forward defence. Basically, I looked at where the high ground was in the middle of...
  9. H

Use of Copy and Paste in the Map Terrain menu

Actually, I've noticed now that after saving and reloading, they do register as dwellings. That leads to another question though. I read somewhere that you can add a "limited" number of individual structures. Any idea what number "limited" actually is?
  10. H

Vehicle Mobility

I could not find any way to indicate the type of mobility that a vehicle has in the vehicle data editor (e.g. tracked, 4x2, 4x4, 8x8). Is this modeled in the game?
  11. H

Making a No Go Area

Would it be possible to make a No Go area by creating a terrain type that has a Move Reduction of -9? I'm just wondering if that would effectively prevent the AI from going into it.
  12. H

Use of Copy and Paste in the Map Terrain menu

I assumed that the copy and paste function let you copy a terrain feature you had already drawn, like a dwelling, and paste it multiple times into other locations. I was able to do this but found that the pasted dwellings only appear as colour spots - you cannot right click on them to get info...
  13. H

Roads and Rivers

That's a great thread. Thanks.
  14. H

Dwellings vs Urban

I see that dwellings and buildings allow for "structure" modifiers that protect infantry units in them, while urban terrain types appear to offer no advantages to infantry. Is this the case? If so, what is the rationale behind urban terrain?
  15. H

Roads and Rivers

Can you criss-cross roads when making terrain, or do you need to stop when you hit another road and start a new road on the other side? Same question for river/streams? I know it says somewhere that you shouldn't draw one terrain type over the other, but what about in this case when it is...
  16. H

Some success matching a topo map to the game map.

After much trial and error (about 15-20 map revisions) I have finally got the scanned topographical map to match up to the underlying elevation map and aligned (kind of) with the game's map grid. some of the issues involved having a NAD27 map and trying to match it to the NAD84 data. Suffice it...
  17. H

Problem matching DEM/xdm Map to Paper Map

After much help from TDR, I was able to import the correct map lined up in the correct manner. Here is a summary of what I have learned (I don't think any important steps are missing). Mini-tutorial on converting DEM map fo use in ATF 1. Open program = VTP - Virtual Terrain Builder...
  18. H

OK. I have it kind of working. I am following Drunk Russian's tutorial and using Demcon. I have only one question (for now). The tutorial asks you to choose: Import/ASCII ArcGrid. Somewhere along my muddling I managed to create a map file saved as .ASC. I can't remember how I got it though...
  19. H

Thanks for your solutions. It never occurred to me that it would be Demcon that was making the mistake! I have been using Microdem, which I gather is pretty much the same program. For the xdm files, would I be able merge them using Microdem, or would I need a different program?
  20. H

Yes, I used the 1:250,000 after trying the 1:50,000, which would not work (can't remember what the exact problem was). Once again, thanks for your interest and help! Dave