Search results

1. S

A7.9 Cowering & Leader Direction

Peter, Thanks for the Q&A – I knew there must be something out there. So if you use Leadership Fire Direction you have to use Leadership DRM if you can. For example, an attack affected by a ‘triangle’ – say a FT attack – can be directed by a leader so that the firer doesn’t cower, but...
  2. S

A7.9 Cowering & Leader Direction

Fire Direction & Leadership DRM. I’ve always thought these were pretty much the same: That a leader could only direct the fire of units that shared his Location, and if there was a multi-hex FG the leader was pretty much useless except for keeping the units he was stacked with from cowering...
  3. S

Which scenarios should be listed on the ladder?

I second Chas' comment - there are a TON of scenarios out there that are not official, and would likely be excluded, whether accidently or not. In fact, I can't see how preloaded scenarios can include them all. I can appreciate the effort to not enter scenario data for every game report, but...
  4. S

Bocage vertex

Since vertexes are considered a part of the wall/hedge/bocage - even if the artwork doesn't include the vertex, - I think your assumption is right. And I'd say WA is needed to see beyond the adjacent hex if the LOS passes through that vertex. Mark
  5. S

E1.16 Fortifications at Night

My question is: Is there any rule/errata that allows Searching to reveal non-minefield fortifications at night? E1.16 says fortifications are revealed at night by: TEM use, friendly unit enters/exits in enemy LOS, or enemy entering its Location. They are not discovered by Searching. The...
  6. S

E1.16 Fortifications at Night

The question is: Is there any rule/errata that allows Searching to reveal non-minefield fortifications at night? E1.16 says fortifications are revealed at night by: TEM use, friendly unit enters/exits in enemy LOS, or enemy entering its Location. They are not discovered by Searching. The...
  7. S

Bazooka

Don't Forget Wall Advantage That also assumes the infantry unit declares wall advantage when it moves up to the bocage hexside. If it doesn't there is no LOS from the AT Gun, so no shot. Depending on the situation, the infantry unit might want to wait until the APh before claiming WA. Mark
  8. S

Offboard Actions

Yarlis, Free from fire, since LOS and fire are prohibited between setup boards and mapboards - read about midway in A2.51. Mark
  9. S

Offboard Actions

Smoke Grenades To stir the pot a bit, I'd say squads can try to place Smoke Grenades while offboard to cover their entry. Here's why: since units are allowed to "move normally" while offboard, and Smoke Grenades are placed using MF, why not place a SG as part of entry? Once its MPh has started...
  10. S

Berserk or Not?

See A15.44 - if there was no German in LOS when the leader wanted to go Berserk, he becomes Battle Hardened instead. (Sounds like this is the case.) Squad will not BH, but could try to rally if broken with the (now improved?) leader. If there was a German unit in LOS when they went Berserk...
  11. S

D 9.54 Dug-in AFV

If you have the Chap B Terrain Chart you can look up all the TEM for Indirect Fire. As Legion said, most are the same as direct fire, but if different the chart lists it under 'TEM/Indirect'. As far as a Dug-in AFV, it isn't considered to be "as if in a trench" (and AFV can't be under a...
  12. S

FT vs AFV and TK Case A (C7.21)

Maybe the FT's Original TK DR determines whether its the hull of turret facing? Similar to OBA HE. But I doubt it. I lean toward Alan's D3.2 suggestion, though it doesn't quite match what Yarlis presents -but keep reading, its "least favorable to the attacker." So I'd say the FT does not get...
  13. S

Range of Broken Units

You're welcome, Nate. Can't have you killing yourself - what would we do with the ladder? Another interesting (to me anyway) aspect of having a broken unit in LOS of only a broken KEU is that your broken unit won't become DM, even if in OG, at the start if the RtPh (assuming it'd lost its DM...
  14. S

Range of Broken Units

See also last sentence of A1.4: "Broken units have no FP or Normal Range." So a broken unit in OG and in LOS of a broken KEU (only) does not have to rout, whether ADJ or not.
  15. S

Fire HEAT @ Units Behind Bocage?

Yarlis, Thanks for pointing that out - good lesson for me to check the available errata! Mark
  16. S

Fire HEAT @ Units Behind Bocage?

Yep, I know C8.31 allows HEAT to be fired only at Inf/Cav receiving a "wall/et al" TEM. Now, B9.5 states that rules pertaining to walls apply to bocage except where modified, and describes bocage as an earthen wall topped with shrubs. The only discussion of TEM in the bocage rules comes in...
  17. S

SS/4-6-8 Squad and half squad

Unfortunately, I do not have the 2nd Ed. NCC, having lost it at Enfilade one year, so I can't refer to it. But I'm sure the counter is correct - SS units do have an underlined morale, and being a HS doesn't change that. Mark
  18. S

How to resolve a Squad+MMG firing on Gun?

If both the Squad and MMG fire at the Gun, you do have to combine into one attack on the IFT. Since the MMG doesn't fire HE (and its AP has no HE eqivalency) it can't attack the Gun alone as ordnance on the Infantry or Area Target Types (which are the two ways that a Gun can be attacked by...
  19. S

SS/4-6-8 Squad and half squad

There are 2 types of 4-6-8. First, there is the "regular army" boxed-E Elite 4-6-8 troops. These guys are shown on the National Capabilities Chart. Note their morale is not underlined, their broken morale is 8, and they have a BPV of 13. The boxed-E 2-4-8 HS don't have an underlined morale...